GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI is gone and the replacement is here

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yeah, I used to own a 2 Series myself and they are a little cramped. Back seat leg room was awful and my teenagers hated trying to get in and out of that back seat. Of course I did not have the M2 or a DCT, so different car really. I do remember the turbo lag with my 2 series though, something I don't feel in my GTI.

I was really torn on this decision for a while as i was planning to keep this vehicle for a while and it also involved some serious money.

Last DCT from BMW was a major factor which made me tilt towards the M2c. But I think practicality with kids took a little edge on my decision right after a TD.

Pleatia

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GMC, VW Wkendr, mk7
Excellent for doing your homework for the vehicle that suits you and your family. I like it. You can always get another VW or an Audi!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Excellent for doing your homework for the vehicle that suits you and your family. I like it. You can always get another VW or an Audi!

More than half of my vehicles have been from VAG, so looking to try out something different this time.

fast16

Passed Driver's Ed
More than half of my vehicles have been from VAG, so looking to try out something different this time.

Probably not the best time to be looking for a car but check out the TLX Type S or if you can wait can check out the Integra! Will be making a comeback next year.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Probably not the best time to be looking for a car but check out the TLX Type S or if you can wait can check out the Integra! Will be making a comeback next year.

Working from home, I’m in no hurry to buy the second vehicle. I’m going to wait until I find the right one.

Yeah I was checking out the news about the new Integra, definitely looks exciting.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
The search for MK7.5 GTI replacement continued for a while and i finally placed an order for M3 competition last month.

I didnt need this vehicle immediately and was planning to get one towards the later years of G80's lifecycle. But I ended up looking for a MY22 build allocation as MY23 is rumored to get minor LCI updates with iDrive 8. I am not a fan of how the infotainment was integrated into the dash and lack of physical buttons was a deal breaker for me. There will be significant MSRP updates in the upcoming MYs and OEMs are adding more and more tech into their vehicles. So i finally decided to take a plunge with MY22. With current shortages and logistic issues, BMW is randomly deleting options. I am not sure if and when i will get the vehicle in hand as there are some crazy stories from fellow members.

I strongly considered a M2c last summer as they were ending F87 production. Those were the last BMWs with DCT and everyone claimed to have the raw driver feel with less electronics. After a tedious search, I was able to snag one the last M2c allocations in the country with an out of state dealer. A couple of weeks after placing my order, i was able to test drive a similar vehicle. After a short TD, it was pretty evident that the vehicle was too small for our needs / liking and I ended up cancelling the order immediately.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The search for MK7.5 GTI replacement continued for a while and i finally placed an order for BMW M3 competition last month.

I didnt need this vehicle immediately and was planning to get one towards the end of current G80's lifecycle. But I ended up looking for a MY22 build allocation as MY23 is rumored to get minor LCI updates with iDrive 8. I am not a fan of how the infotainment was integrated into the dash and lack of physical buttons was a deal breaker for me. There will be significant MSRP updates in the upcoming MYs and OEMs are adding more and more tech into their vehicles. So i finally decided to take a plunge with MY22.

With current shortages and logistic issues, BMW is randomly deleting options. I am not sure if and when i will get the vehicle in hand as there are some crazy stories from fellow members.

It will be an interesting market year. I've been looking to get the wife a new car and the market has not been kind...

An M3 of any sort is always a great vehicle! I've always been partial to the e46, but as daily cars the newer models have all been quite cushy. Good luck with the order!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It will be an interesting market year. I've been looking to get the wife a new car and the market has not been kind...

An M3 of any sort is always a great vehicle! I've always been partial to the e46, but as daily cars the newer models have all been quite cushy. Good luck with the order!

This definitely is a crazy market. I paid way below MSRP for all my past vehicles and never thought paying MSRP would be a deal especially for a BMW. Hopefully you are able to find something for your wife.

Thank you and yeah getting a real M is a dream come true for sure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The search for MK7.5 GTI replacement continued for a while and i finally placed an order for M3 competition last month.

I didnt need this vehicle immediately and was planning to get one towards the later years of G80's lifecycle. But I ended up looking for a MY22 build allocation as MY23 is rumored to get minor LCI updates with iDrive 8. I am not a fan of how the infotainment was integrated into the dash and lack of physical buttons was a deal breaker for me. There will be significant MSRP updates in the upcoming MYs and OEMs are adding more and more tech into their vehicles. So i finally decided to take a plunge with MY22. With current shortages and logistic issues, BMW is randomly deleting options. I am not sure if and when i will get the vehicle in hand as there are some crazy stories from fellow members.

I strongly considered a M2c last summer as they were ending F87 production. Those were the last BMWs with DCT and everyone claimed to have the raw driver feel with less electronics. After a tedious search, I was able to snag one the last M2c allocations in the country with an out of state dealer. A couple of weeks after placing my order, i was able to test drive a similar vehicle. After a short TD, it was pretty evident that the vehicle was too small for our needs / liking and I ended up cancelling the order immediately.
Another GTI bites the dust.

cb1111

BMW has a long history of doing that - although sometimes it works in favor of the consumer. Following Fukushima, two thinks affected BMW - the first was the destruction of the only plant that made the pigment used in BMWs Carbon Black paint (resulting in the creation of Carbon Black II), but the biggest one was an immediate shortage of the chip that ran the backup camera for the 5 series. Based on that, BMW provided navigation systems as a free upgrade - the chip for the backup camera was in the nav and they had those on stock.

Many companies had paint issues - Acura, for example, went from Premium White Pearl to Bellanova White. I'm not sure what a body shop would do if they needed a big repair.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Another GTI bites the dust.

Make it two, considering my MK7 as well.

BMW has a long history of doing that - although sometimes it works in favor of the consumer. Following Fukushima, two thinks affected BMW - the first was the destruction of the only plant that made the pigment used in BMWs Carbon Black paint (resulting in the creation of Carbon Black II), but the biggest one was an immediate shortage of the chip that ran the backup camera for the 5 series. Based on that, BMW provided navigation systems as a free upgrade - the chip for the backup camera was in the nav and they had those on stock.

Many companies had paint issues - Acura, for example, went from Premium White Pearl to Bellanova White. I'm not sure what a body shop would do if they needed a big repair.

Sadly, there are a lot of uncertainties and most people are hoping the vehicle with be built with the chosen options even if there is added delays. Some vehicles built last fall are still stuck in the plant whereas people ordered these vehicles late last year are taking delivery. There isnt a pattern / specific options for these delays and zero communication from OEM and dealer makes things worse.

cb1111

Make it two, considering my MK7 as well.

Sadly, there are a lot of uncertainties and most people are hoping the vehicle with be built with the chosen options even if there is added delays. Some vehicles built last fall are still stuck in the plant whereas people ordered these vehicles late last year are taking delivery. There isnt a pattern / specific options for these delays and zero communication from OEM and dealer makes things worse.
Yes, and each country needs to determine what they need to do to guarantee their national security interests (and manufacturing falls under that).

Shortly before COVID, my company was asked to set up training for about 1000 executives on "global supply chain" issues. At that time, they insisted that the training had to be in person and COVID killed that idea and made everyone revisit the idea of "global supply chain"

This appears to be an issue that will take us years to resolve - but first we need to identify what is really important.