GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti Full Suspension Build - Looking for Advice

ScarletMk7Gti

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Gti
Besides the engineering aspect of the DFV, is there anything that really compels you to use the Ohlins?

• Added static camber isn't really used to offset the deflections of suspension bushings. That's a factor, but not a huge one. It's more used to compensate for the camber-loss geometry of a Macpherson strut design.
  • If you're 100% sold on using the verkline kit, it should offer all the camber you need. No real reason to do knuckles at that point.
  • Is this truly just a DD? Springrate varies based on use.

A052s will disintegrate if you daily drive them with lots of miles, plan on a second set of wheels or 2x sets of tires for the summer if you're planning on using them.

My take:
As others have said, sphericals on the road are no fun. If I were you, I would ditch the verkline kit (which is all sphericals) and settle for a camber plate (one spherical per side) instead. They're not as likely to get gummed up with debris compared to a LCA spherical due to the position, and when you do need to change sphericals eventually it's only 2. But that's just me
I took your advice on the knuckles and am forgoing them for the time being. Maybe after I do everything else I might change those to lose a couple grams of unsprung mass which should convert to what, 100-150lbs of sprung mass? But yeah, those aren't going on any time soon.

As for your suggestion on tires and having a second set for dedicated track use, I think that is what I will end up doing.

This is going to be my daily driver, but will also see track use this summer. I think I'm going to stick with the Ohlins and see how they go. They're marketed as dual purpose, which is kinda contradictory to my build given the Verkline kit (which I had already purchased when I started the thread), but that and the DFV are indeed compelling reasons to me. I know in general it's hard to understand why anyone would use a full monoball suspension setup on a daily driven car, but I'm still in my 20s, no kids, etc., and with a bit of disposable income, and given that I have been very into the idea of having a track focused daily for a long time, I figured it's sorta now or never.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I know in general it's hard to understand why anyone would use a full monoball suspension setup on a daily driven car, but I'm still in my 20s, no kids, etc., and with a bit of disposable income, and given that I have been very into the idea of having a track focused daily for a long time, I figured it's sorta now or never.

If you are really committed to this route you might want to reconsider your suspension choice. Ohlins DFV is not a motorsports product; you might want to look into Clubsport, Moton, MCS 1,2,3,4 ways

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If you are really committed to this route you might want to reconsider your suspension choice. Ohlins DFV is not a motorsports product; you might want to look into Clubsport, Moton, MCS 1,2,3,4 ways
nice try, non-ohlins suspension marketing department.

depending on how much you want to tweak rates and whatnot, ohlins is a great off the shelf option. I don't think there's anything else on the market with inverted monotubes with aluminum damper bodies that you can get with springs under $3k. I don't really understand OP's desire to use monoballs everywhere, but I don't think steering people towards spending the money on 2/3-way motorsport dampers is a great use of money unless you're competing. I wouldn't want ohlins on a daily either, but I think it fits OP's described needs.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I was hoping someone running Verkline parts would post on the thread, so thanks. I just went to your channel on YouTube and realized I had seen your Verkline unboxing video a couple of months ago. Any chance of making a review video with your impressions? I personally would love to watch something like that, but I know that's asking a lot haha.

Would you mind expanding a little bit on how the Verkline parts have held up for you? I'm also curious if you think using not-solid strut mounts would help with some of the harshness while maintaining most of the performance.

A video review is certainly on the cards. I was meant to do one already but you know - life gets in the way.

So far they have held up fine. Annoyingly the shop that installed them didn't put the dust boots on. No idea why. I'm going to be taking it back soon for a check-up and asking them to put them on. A lot of the creaks I previously spoke about were actually the sway bar not being tightened properly. Now no creaks. The only noises are from pad slap in the BBK when I go over a bump. But they are more harsh over every bump, no getting around that. The PSS10's are firm but buttery. These diminish that quite a bit. If you live on shit roads I certainly wouldn't do it.

My overall recommendation stays the same. They are a well made bit of kit and feel fantastic on the track but are over-kill for a street car and unnecessary. I'm still likely to move to TTS arms instead with poly bushes.

Note: Another gripe I have is that they are a PITA to setup. Mainly because shops don't read instruction manuals. So I've spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on "alignments" now and still not got them to exactly what I want. All because some guy who probably didn't finish high school thinks he knows better that the instructions. This has happened at two very reputable shops so far. One spent 2.5 hours on an alignment that should have taken 30min.