GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI full size spare

jGTIw

In case anyone is wondering about buying a full size spare for the US version GTI:

Just installed a full size spare (225/40 R18) in the spare tire well. Had to cut away some plastic trim towards back of the car, which is not visible unless accessing the spare tire, but otherwise the tire fits well. Only downside is I can no longer store the cargo shelf underneath the hatch bed.

plat

Ready to race!
What's the reason for the full-size spare? Personally, I do not see the point in it. It is larger, occupies more space, and is much heavier than the compact spare tire. It is easier to handle a compact spare tire during a flat tire scenario compared to a full-size spare. Also, less weigh means less fuel consumption.

Last edited:

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
In case anyone is wondering about buying a full size spare for the US version GTI:

Just installed a full size spare (225/40 R18) in the spare tire well. Had to cut away some plastic trim towards back of the car, which is not visible unless accessing the spare tire, but otherwise the tire fits well. Only downside is I can no longer store the cargo shelf underneath the hatch bed.
Good to know---
BTW- I had issues trying to remove the space-saver from the well due to an interference with that lip. I trimmed it to facilitate wheel removal.
FWIW- I miss the days of proper sized spare tires---My Audi came from the factory with a matching alloy wheel and full sized tire. It seemed like a nice touch IE- perceived quality....

16plus4v1

Ready to race!
What about the Fender Audio Sub ? Will it work with a full size?

jGTIw

What's the reason for the full-size spare? Personally, I do not see the point in it. It is larger, occupies more space, and is much heavier than the compact spare tire. It is easier to handle a compact spare tire during a flat tire scenario compared to a full-size spare. Also, less weigh means less fuel consumption.

Reason for full size spare: I take long trips on weekends, often to remote rural places. If I get a flat, I don't have to limp home for 150mi on a 50mph max compact spare or go in search of a tire shop that's open on a Sunday.

I would be hard pressed to notice a difference in fuel consumption from the additional 15lbs from the full size, on a 3000lb car.

To each his own....

jGTIw

What about the Fender Audio Sub ? Will it work with a full size?

Can't say for sure since I have an S, but it should fit if the diameter of the Sub is < inside diameter of wheel.

The increased depth of the full size actually leaves a nice sized storage space. I stuck a towel in there to prevent things from rattling around - good spot for tools, light bulbs, etc.

16plus4v1

Ready to race!
I had my spare on due to a leaky valve stem and I couldn't for the life of me get the lead for the sub to reach the difference in height. Was wanting to invest in a spare austin but not if I'm going to loose the sub feature. As small as it is, it makes a big difference!

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

Need to raise the dead, lol

where did you buy the full size spare and how much?
thx

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Movie The Transporter changed me for life when it comes to full spares.

E46 had a full spare, used it twice. Such a satisfying feeling.

Just last year before heading out on a weekend trip with family i found a nail in the shoulder on my OEM setup (around this time of the year). Swapped all four with a winter set. A full OEM spare would have been little more handy.

Other handy must have options on cars besides a full spare: no moon roof option (room for helmet), back seat ski through space and screw-in roof rack attachments (bmw).

GTI can be equipped with 3 out of 4 of these features. Pretty cool!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Other handy must have options on cars besides a full spare: no moon roof option (room for helmet), back seat ski through space and screw-in roof rack attachments (bmw).

GTI can be equipped with 3 out of 4 of these features. Pretty cool!

Agree....mind you I have a GSW so skis fit inside ok!!......plus roof rails are included....

Still havn't got around to fitting a full sized spare as I have the Dynaudio sub (Fender)...which requires a 19" rim to sit inside fully.....it fits inside "just" my 17" rims...but would have to extend the sub wiring & build a long screw wheel clamp using the longer screws from other VAG cars...

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
GTI is definitely on the short end w/ skis coming past the armrest. It's doable but not ideal as elbow room is compromised. Roof rails on wagons and SUVs are a must have. If i still traveled the crazy distance like before full spare would be in there. A bit disappointing VW didn't make that plastic trim removable/better designed so it can clear a full spare.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Donut spare is far better than the compressor and can of sealant many modern cars come with.

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a full size spare as I run 8 pot brakes and big rear brakes. They make a trim for the boot with a cutout already.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have a full size spare as I run 8 pot brakes and big rear brakes. They make a trim for the boot with a cutout already.

You run the huge brakes because of the extra weight of the full sized spare??....LOL..!!

Pulling your leg....!!

18" or 19" rim size???