GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Fuel Tank Feed Issues/Holley Hydramat Discussion

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
First kit harnesses are built up. I have to crimp some hoses, but the first kits are good to go other then that.

I haven't implemented the hydramat as of yet. And haven't started to sort out the AWD solution quite yet.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
First kit harnesses are built up. I have to crimp some hoses, but the first kits are good to go other then that.

I haven't implemented the hydramat as of yet. And haven't started to sort out the AWD solution quite yet.

How idiot proof are these to install? I’m pretty dumb just so we’re all aware

Really great work

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
interested in further dev. looking to solve potential issues before i run into them.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
How idiot proof are these to install? I’m pretty dumb just so we’re all aware

Really great work
Pretty darn easy, but has one tricky point. I may as well share the solution at this point.

I am running a lift pump that feeds the RS3 basket using 100% OEM locations. No basket/wire modifications required. Most importantly, no change to the plumbing of the stock pump which can cause odd pressure drop issues. The pump leverages a simple retention method inside the tank that also helps keep fuel fed to the lift pump pickup.

For wiring, there are three locations to populate, one being the 12V power. The 12V terminal is a bit of a pain, but is doable and gives you the ability to remove the fuse when you don't want to run the pump from inside the cabin. Tucks nicely under the trim similar to PM4 harness routing back to the top hat. The in-tank harness is plug and play.

The in-tank hardware install takes about 30-45 minutes from taking out your seat to when you are slapping it back in. Similar to any LPFP install, it is a good idea to have a low tank fill level and fortunately, you will have a full basket once everything is connected. Not a bad idea to check the pump functionality prior to dropping it in, so it is a good idea to wire everything up first. After it is installed, it is faint, but you can hear the pump running in the tank as soon as the key is cycled.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Pretty darn easy, but has one tricky point. I may as well share the solution at this point.

I am running a lift pump that feeds the RS3 basket using 100% OEM locations. No basket/wire modifications required. Most importantly, no change to the plumbing of the stock pump which can cause odd pressure drop issues. The pump leverages a simple retention method inside the tank that also helps keep fuel fed to the lift pump pickup.

For wiring, there are three locations to populate, one being the 12V power. The 12V terminal is a bit of a pain, but is doable and gives you the ability to remove the fuse when you don't want to run the pump from inside the cabin. Tucks nicely under the trim similar to PM4 harness routing back to the top hat. The in-tank harness is plug and play.

The in-tank hardware install takes about 30-45 minutes from taking out your seat to when you are slapping it back in. Similar to any LPFP install, it is a good idea to have a low tank fill level and fortunately, you will have a full basket once everything is connected. Not a bad idea to check the pump functionality prior to dropping it in, so it is a good idea to wire everything up first. After it is installed, it is faint, but you can hear the pump running in the tank as soon as the key is cycled.
Need this ASAP. If I can have until a quarter tank on full E with vortex XL I’m a happy camper

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Need this ASAP. If I can have until a quarter tank on full E with vortex XL I’m a happy camper
FWD and an RS3 pump?

Got a short list. Gonna start building more harnesses. Then will order a batch of pumps & more mounting stuffs once those are done. Have hoses for 4x kits. Have all the electrical stuff for around 25.

Maybe try and get 4x kits out next round.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
FWD and an RS3 pump?

Got a short list. Gonna start building more harnesses. Then will order a batch of pumps & more mounting stuffs once those are done. Have hoses for 4x kits. Have all the electrical stuff for around 25.

Maybe try and get 4x kits out next round.
Yes FWD, A2B RS3 pump with the black controller.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I’d also be very interested but I’m only installing everything next spring/summer. Maybe in for a future batch

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI

Question, I may revert back to the stock GTI FWD LPFP from RS3 because its overkill for what I'm using it for today although this fuel cut issue is limiting my use of E85 at the track which generally leads to the RS3 pump. Does this setup only work on the RS3 pump housing or can it be used with the factory LPFP?

I guess thinking back, this issue has been more prominent on the RS3 pump due to the smaller amount of free space in the basket but I believe I had cuts on the stock LPFP as well.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Question, I may revert back to the stock GTI FWD LPFP from RS3 because its overkill for what I'm using it for today although this fuel cut issue is limiting my use of E85 at the track which generally leads to the RS3 pump. Does this setup only work on the RS3 pump housing or can it be used with the factory LPFP?

I guess thinking back, this issue has been more prominent on the RS3 pump due to the smaller amount of free space in the basket but I believe I had cuts on the stock LPFP as well.
It isn't currently compatible with other baskets. That would require top hat modification. Couple of other companies are doing that. I kind of want to keep this to RS3 pump applications. Hope to be able to add AWD platforms in the future. Gotta figure out some in tank wiring, but should be able to make it happen.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
First 2x kits are built and boxed. Waiting on upgraded fuel filters and they will ship first thing Monday morning.

Suppose it is time to let the cat out of the bag. Picture of kit.

PXL_20221028_185808359.jpg

The foam is my "secret" retention sauce (thanks to the cheese-heads for their hats lol; stealing that one jcass). I modify the foam to seat / retain the pump in the block.

The block is compressed between the bottom and the top of the tank and secures the pump in a vertical orientation. This keeps the pump inlet & filter submerged in fuel at all times and prevents the pump from rolling/sloshing around in the tank. Another benefit of the foam is that it partially retains fuel and prevents slosh around the pump. This keeps an almost constant flow of fuel being fed back into the basket. The kit keeps the basket full until ridiculously low fill levels even on e85.

Excited to get some kits out into the world. And especially for cars running e85 and/or hitting some track days or twisties. Working on getting the the last few parts I need for 3x additional kits.