GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Exhaust tips

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Measure yours.

If I had a pair of calipers I would. Can't really do a tape measure across, since the stock tips are still on. I guess I could get a piece of string to measure the circumference and go with the d= C/π route, but figured I would just try asking first.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Keep in mind too that your local exhaust shop can simply expand the exhaust pipe outlet or tip inlet (unless the inlet is really short) to get them to fit together, provided they are close, and .25” is close. If they are exactly the same size they will obviously also have to do this as well.

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
So I’m thinking of doing a muffler delete at my local shop. They quoted me $250-275 to have it done, without tips.

Is this price reasonable?

As for tips, I figured I’d bring some with me to have him weld on, but not sure of the sizes needed. Is it a 2.5in inlet? Thinking 2.5 inlet, 4in outlet. Like the look of the bigger tips. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inlet-2-5-...194944?hash=item41bba78fc0:g:FS0AAOSwlspazoOa

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
So I’m thinking of doing a muffler delete at my local shop. They quoted me $250-275 to have it done, without tips.

Is this price reasonable?

As for tips, I figured I’d bring some with me to have him weld on, but not sure of the sizes needed. Is it a 2.5in inlet? Thinking 2.5 inlet, 4in outlet. Like the look of the bigger tips. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inlet-2-5-...194944?hash=item41bba78fc0:g:FS0AAOSwlspazoOa
IMO 4" is best, had lower and 4 is perfect size. OEM pipes are 2.5" so 2.5-> 4

I think its a little expensive but if they did 250 for muffler delete and tips its worth it

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Actually finished it up this weekend, don’t have great pictures yet though...

How do you clean these? Id assume using bar keepers friend or anything of the sort will remove the rainbow oxidation from the metal?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Cleaning with regular car soap or onr will work great on those. Polishing is where it could get dicey depending on the quality of the tip's finish.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Heads up for everyone I went to Classic today and he charges $80 now and his opening hours aren't accurate, it's when he feels like coming in. He also somehow managed to slice into my valence without letting me know either. I don't see how this guy has such great reviews. I guess he welded them on straight? The bead inside the tip is so much of an eyesore that i had to spray paint them black.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
How are u guys cutting these stock exhaust tips off? Saws all? Angle grinder with a cut off wheel? I definitely want to change the tips just haven’t found ones I want to install.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How are u guys cutting these stock exhaust tips off? Saws all? Angle grinder with a cut off wheel? I definitely want to change the tips just haven’t found ones I want to install.

I used an angle grinder on the tack welds and removed just the tips, I didn't cut the pipe with the tips attached.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
I used an angle grinder on the tack welds and removed just the tips, I didn't cut the pipe with the tips attached.
That will definitely be what I’m going to try and do. I’m doing the removal and install myself so any info I have will make it that much easier. Thanks for the tip. My plan is to cut the factory tops off , tack the new ones in place and remove the rear exhaust and weld everything up completely. I ordered the eBay tips last night, let’s see how I make out. If it looks like crap I won’t be posting any pictures lololol.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That will definitely be what I’m going to try and do. I’m doing the removal and install myself so any info I have will make it that much easier. Thanks for the tip. My plan is to cut the factory tops off , tack the new ones in place and remove the rear exhaust and weld everything up completely. I ordered the eBay tips last night, let’s see how I make out. If it looks like crap I won’t be posting any pictures lololol.

Which tips did you get? I tried the ebay link, but looks like seller isn't selling.