GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI as a used car purchase

ELHOTA

Passed Driver's Ed
I really like the GTI and am seriously considering getting a used one 4-5 years from now (2019+ model). However, the reliability concerns are what's holding me back. The car really fits all my requirements- fast, fun to drive, good fuel economy, and large cargo capacity. The other cars that I would consider buying used are:

1. Kia Stinger (but it's not great in gas, and doesn't come with a manual tranny)
2. Honda Civic Type R (but I'm not too keen on the looks).

The Stinger, I suspect, will depreciate quite a bit and will be a good used car buy a few years from now.

I typically drive my cars until the very end of their life span (16 years with my last 2 cars). Will the GTI be more costly to own than the other 2, given the higher possibility of increased repairs/maintenance and potentially shorter life span? Or will the savings in fuel costs outweigh this?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Magic 8 ball says "Ask again later"

honestly I assume GTI will have a somewhat higher repair cost but hopefully it will be outweighed by the joy of what is a wonderful total package.

Mud

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Once warranty runs out, VW's are gernerally more costly to repair at dealer vs a honda and kia, right? I know the oil changes are like $100+

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Once warranty runs out, VW's are gernerally more costly to repair at dealer vs a honda and kia, right? I know the oil changes are like $100+

My local dealer charges $88 for oil change which includes a tire rotation. If you plan to service your at the dealer for the time you own it, then I suggest having deep pockets or ride a bike.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
My local dealer charges $88 for oil change which includes a tire rotation. If you plan to service your at the dealer for the time you own it, then I suggest having deep pockets or ride a bike.

dont they make you do your oil changes at dealer while under warranty or they can deny warranty work?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
strange post. used car for a purchase 4/5 years out. Who knows....

Probably better to wait 5 years from now, then post.

I predict that 4-5 years from now he will have totally forgotten about a GTI, much less VW.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Never paid anything close to $100 for an oil change at the dealer. $69.95 w/synthetic oil.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
dont they make you do your oil changes at dealer while under warranty or they can deny warranty work?

Nope, just proof that it was done at recommended intervals. They can't force you to get dealer service. Just keep good, detailed receipts from a local indy shop and do the recommended service when it's due.

I honestly don't know where people get their lame-brained ideas.

And why is someone looking to buy a car 4-5 years from now asking about associated costs now?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Thinking about 4 - 5 from now? Thats a lot of time according to me even to think about any big spending especially a car. By 2021, we should get the next platform (MK8) GTIs.

Anyways there are plenty of info about reliability of current platform across several sections. Several people have covered more than 75k miles without any issues.