GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI air intake

GoTime1

Ready to race!
I bit the bullet and installed a local manufacturers intake. Car is breathing a lot better on the low rpm which I felt I lost with the 76mm DP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seppdelaney

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
I bit the bullet and installed a local manufacturers intake. Car is breathing a lot better on the low rpm which I felt I lost with the 76mm DP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! Did you also find that your grill was blocked off at the intake opening?

Seppdelaney

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
yes it was! I can understand the design from VW but with regards to flow it's pretty silly

So, did you just hit it with a dremel, or what?

Seppdelaney

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
no, it gets opened once you remove that front baffler box or whatever it is called. It's part of the unit

Clearly, I haven't looked that closely at it yet... so it's not part of the grill, but rather, part of the intake (and not really connected to the grill)?

GoTime1

Ready to race!
Clearly, I haven't looked that closely at it yet... so it's not part of the grill, but rather, part of the intake (and not really connected to the grill)?

correct bud. What I did before fitting the intake was remove that box. It's only 4 screws that you need to remove. You can then run your stock box with better flow. There is also a plastic unit under the pollen filter. Remove that too. It's restricts flow.

Seppdelaney

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
correct bud. What I did before fitting the intake was remove that box. It's only 4 screws that you need to remove. You can then run your stock box with better flow. There is also a plastic unit under the pollen filter. Remove that too. It's restricts flow.

Wow. What was VW thinking, restricting airflow like this?

The GFB intake looks like a nice bit of kit!

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Sorry for reviving a really old thread, but, since I started it, I thought it would be the right place to inform you about a new intake system for my GTI.

The story goes like this.

After getting an intercooler from a company based in Sweden, I was really impressed with it's performance in the hot climate were I live. I'm not talking about consecutive pulls, I don't do these things, instead I'm talking about the remarkably lower IATs than the stock IC when cruising and/or driving spiritedly. The craftsmanship is top notch. And it looks the part too!
(Sorry for the background)
IMG_0602.JPG

You understand the frustration when after the unboxing I found that one tab was smashed (courier's fault even though it was very well packed). But their professionalism and after sales is top notch and we sorted everything out with a few emails. Kudos to them.

After that I installed a custom downpipe with a 200cpi HJS cat. and went stage2
IMG_0715.JPG

And lately, I was researching for inlet pipes. After much reading, I learnt that the inlet pipe will perform better with a tube replacing the "accordion"-like OEM, but the OEM airbox itself is sufficient for higher than mine horsepower cars. I didn't want to go to carbonfibre intakes that are crazy expensive and lose torque in the low rpm as I daily drive the car in town. So,
I checked their website and I saw a reasonably priced inlet pipe. I contacted them and I was told that they are preparing a lid for the OEM airbox too, with a larger diameter tubing (80mm).
I purchased the whole set! I was very pleased with their IC, which is great, and I love their professionalism.
If you noticed from the first photo, the company I'm referring to is do88. Check their site, there are some reasonably priced upgrades and I saw their quality first hand.
I'm currently having the car to my mechanic due to (direct) injection failure (still under investigation) and I will have the do88 intake set installed. I'll make a review after driving some Kms.
Here are some photos of the set.

inlet pipe:
IMG_0873.JPG

with the O-ring included in the CNC made flange:
IMG_0874.JPG

The stepped silicone hose which connects the inlet pipe with the lid:
IMG_0871.JPG

And the lid with the logo on top. (I rather like it!)
IMG_0869.JPG

Under the lid you can see the larger tube. It is stated that it has better flow too:
IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

It has the SAI (if I recall correctly, I don't have a North American spec car) hose, but in comes with a stylish plug:
IMG_0872.JPG

I really love the fact that it looks OEM. No fancy intakes with a vast void where the airbox was etc.
Here's the whole set which came at a great price. Check do88.se to see it yourself.

IMG_0870.JPG