GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Slipped Clutch?

Heathy

Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I have a 2013 Mk7 GTD with 62k miles and manual, was driving home last week when I stopped at a roundabout, I can't remember for certain if I set off in 2nd by accident (not that I think that would matter as I have done that loads of times in all cars I have owned without problems moving), when all of a sudden I seemed to have no power, the revs were rocketing up and the clutch seemed to stick to the floor, I carried on drivng mainly as I was confused and also on a 60mph road going up a hill (not the best place to stop) I managed to get the top of the hill and pull onto a grass verge where I could smell burning and see smoke, fearing of damaging it further I waited a bit and pumped the clutch and changed gear a few times while stopped to try and release the clutch that was stuck.

I managed to release the clutch up and then pulled back onto the road hoping it might be corrected only for no success, I then pulled into a large lay by and had a look at the engine, it smelt of burning and was a tiny bit smokey. after waiting a bit I drove back and forth a few times with no problem, reaching 3rd gear and 30mph with no issues, but now paranoid about causing more damage or it happening again I decided to get towed back home, then managed to drive the last mile or so home with no problem, it seemed almos back to normal, the AA guy said it was probably a slipped clutch or master cylinder grabbing something?

Anyway I took it straight to the garage, driving it there fine the next day, and have spoke to them today and they can't find any fault they said it drives perfectly fine. Obviously they don't want to put a new clutch in if its not needed and not to mention expensive. Does anybody have an idea what happened? or if my clutch is on it's way out? I thought the wet clutches on these GTD's were solid or so I have heard when reading about remapping with a stock GTD clutch. Not sure I'd want to remap now, not until im confident the car is okay.

Has anybody at all had a similar issue on any MK7? Do you think it's worth a new clutch or just a case of getting the car back and seeing how it goes from there? Could it be that I have set off in 2nd and the car has somehow locked into 2nd gear? any help would be appreciated.