GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD rev limit

matstand

Passed Driver's Ed
I was going on a very short journey (picking wife up from the station) and I wanted the car to warm up quickly, so I started rev ing the engine while stationary in neutral. I was surprised to find that the engine appears to have a limiter that stops it going above 2500 rpm. As soon as i put it in gear, it happily went up to 4000 before i changed gear. I tried this again on the way home and the same.

I assume that this is a feature, not a bug. I was surprised when it happened that is all.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
It makes sense that the GTD is also limited when in neutral as the GTI is limited at 4000 rpm.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I assume that this is a feature, not a bug. I was surprised when it happened that is all.
Definitely is.

But why do you rev a cold engine at 4000/min? :confused:

All VAG Diesels have an auxiliary heater (electric on the smaller cars; Sharan an T5 come with Diesel/gas driven ones),
helping from cold start on. Most here also have heated seats. With this I don't see any necessity for a brutal warm-up.

matstand

Passed Driver's Ed
i was just revving the engine to try and warm up the passenger compartment really quickly (it was very very cold and i had kids in the back). I just noticed that the revs stopped at 2500, which had me worried (as my old alfa once blew a sensor and restricted the car to 2500 rpm) so then when the lights changed I sped off to check that the engine was still working, hence the 4000 rpm.

personally i am a grown up and don't normally rev the engine at traffic lights, but i imagine that their must be some owners who don't appreciate this restriction.

element515

Ready to race!
lol, "very, very cold" Weather in London is hovering around freezing point for the lows this week.

On topic, many cars have this so a cold engine doesn't rev too high; or so you don't rev it high in neutral. BMWs actually have a redline that moves down when cold and slowly creeps up to the max.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Revving a GTD engine in this situation will do nothing to increase cabin warmth. Just make sure you have the electric pre-heater selected to on in the set up menus and that air-con is on. You will have warm air from the vents in a minute or two...

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Just make sure you have the electric pre-heater selected to on in the set up menus and that air-con is on. You will have warm air from the vents in a minute or two...

Which menu is that?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I am out of the country at the moment but from memory it's in the heating and ventilation menu - sorry to not be able to be more exact....

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
i was just revving the engine to try and warm up the passenger compartment really quickly (it was very very cold and i had kids in the back).
Very cold at near 0° C? What are you going to do at -20° C? Revving to 12.000/min?

As Mark said, it'll help almost nothing, just the engine pumping cold air and causing engine wear.
Ensure the electric heater is enabled in the menu.

Another idea: Retrofit heated rear seats. It has been a factory option on plenty of VAG models,
e.g. Passat and A3.