GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gtd or gtd blueline

Mattnick

Car(s)
Golf GTD
Afternoon guys. Still looking for the right gtd for me. Just a question with regards to the GTD and gtd blueline. What are the differences all together and can someone explain to me how the blueline but works and also what's the point in it? Yes I could Google it, but you guys are the pros as it's always better to ask other owners 🤣👌🏻

Cheers

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is of course ab internet forum with members around the world... but I suspect most of the users are in the US.

We never got the GTD here. And the Mk7 we did get in diesel form was only for 2015 due to the emissions scandal. That is to say, the GTD sub-forum doesn't get much traffic.

I did find this link though, maybe you already found it...
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280143.0

Seems the blueline is slightly better on emissions which may have beneficial tax implications under certain use/registration scenarios. I guess it also has 17" wheels instead of 18"s, which sounds good to me.

Mattnick

Car(s)
Golf GTD
This is of course ab internet forum with members around the world... but I suspect most of the users are in the US.

We never got the GTD here. And the Mk7 we did get in diesel form was only for 2015 due to the emissions scandal. That is to say, the GTD sub-forum doesn't get much traffic.

I did find this link though, maybe you already found it...
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280143.0

Seems the blueline is slightly better on emissions which may have beneficial tax implications under certain use/registration scenarios. I guess it also has 17" wheels instead of 18"s, which sounds good to me.
Thank you for this ☺️ I didn't realise that the US never got the GTD. That's Interesting.. as I'm new to getting a gtd I'm not too familiar with the emmission scandal.. obviously heard about it but never looked into it 🙈

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
When you have time and if you're interested there is a whole lot of information out there about the scandal. Generalizing heavily, the ECUs could detect when a car was being emissions tested and ran the engine differently to produce a better emissions result. Lots of fines, buybacks, then a fix, but not many sold.
As it relates to the MK7 diesels in the US... Emissions test cheating was discovered in the first year the Mk7 Golf TDI was available. At that time all of the vehicles with the offending software were recalled and new unsold vehicles could not be sold

VW eventually came to an "agreement" with emissions regulators here. Fixes were presented for the offending vehicles that include both software and hardware, there were very large fines, VW had to offer buy backs for customers who wanted to go that route (in many cases VW paid more than the car was worth on the open market), money was disbursed to customers who chose to keep their cars.

The emissions systems fixes are free of charge for the customers that kept they're cars, and the warranties greatly extended. In the best case scenario that warranty could be something like 11 years, 165,000 miles. Unsold new cars were eventually "fixed" and sold. I bought my 2015 brand new in 2017 with the first stage of the emissions fix completed

Blah blah blah, that was long... but there weren't that many diesel Mk7s sold here. The number of people on the forums for most cars is small already, and the warranty on our Mk7 TDI's discourages modding. Why join a forum to see what you can't do anyway 😂.

As far as the GTD, never sold here. But that had nothing to do with the emissions scandal. We didn't get prior generation GTD's either.

To be honest, we don't get most of the options/packages available in Europe. For example no GTE, no R wagon (estate), no TCR or ClubSport, etc.

In any case, I love my Mk7 TDI/wannabe GTD 😁.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
From what I understand all Europe & UK cars are blueline...whether its called blueline or not....

"Blueline" as they all have stop/start auto engine shutoff/restart.....not to be confused with KESSY = keyless ignition....

Last edited: