GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Noise

James75

Go Kart Champion
I've discovered a noise with my GTD - I've become quite fond of it.

Just above 2000 rpm just above 30 mph there is a whoosh, can't explain it, I take it this is the turbo???

It's almost mechanical in sound - i like it - anyone else noticed it?

James

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
James75 : I hear a low pitched oooooo sound but wouldnt really describe it as a whoosh. Turbos tend to whistle as they accelerate then the sound goes out of human hearing range.

s7wag

Ready to race!
yup it's your turbo and you may be hearing a bit of air intake under heavier throttle...

sound actuator you will only hear with 'sport' mode turned on. I've set mine to 0% on the internal one so dash speaker does nothing in mine..just hear the outside tunes...

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Yes like a deep baritone noise, like its gathering breath?

Have to say I dont thnk VAG could have made a better sounding 4 cyl diesel, its really nice for a derv....the soundaktor is pleasant too....i know thats a bit marmite to some but I really like it

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Is it not the transmission components spooling up to speed? If you cruise at 80-90 when you let go of the throttle you hear (what I think is the same as you're describing) spooling down aswell. At first I thought it was the turbo but I think its just the transmission/driveshaft or something. It sounds cool though, I agree :)