GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD MPG

ChrisGTD

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if this has been covered before but I don't often get the spare time to browse the internet these days.
Since I bought my GTD almost one year and 12k miles ago I've averaged 47.6 MPG with mixed motorway, country roads and town driving.
That's in sports mode and I'm quite a keen driver, so I'm really pleased with that.
However, the best MPG I have achieved on one trip is 55.2 over 30 miles, mainly motorway, and so today I decided to do the same trip in Eco mode.
I got around 55mpg! I was expecting to get towards 60, at the very least more than what I get in sports mode and considering the manufacturer claims a statistic of 67MPG. Most online reviews boldly support that claim too.
Looks like it's a load of cobblers, but then again should I expect anything else after Diesel-gate ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philboy

Hi i have had my GTD estate for 11 weeks and can only get 45mpg average and never more than 48mpg and thats with lots of cruising i have covered nearly 15,000 miles in that time and the mpg has went up in the last 3,000 miles it was only 43mpg before! i have a lot of stuff in the boot but dont drive that hard as the roads have been pretty bad in sunny Scotland am already on my second set of front tyres with the rears needing changed in another couple of weeks at most my last golf gt i got 22,000 miles from rear tyres

ChrisGTD

Passed Driver's Ed
11 weeks or 11 months?? That's a hell of a lot of miles for 11 weeks but certainly possible

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Im finding the colder, wetter weather plus the switch to winter blend diesel has messed up the economy on my car.

When I first got the car I could get about 55mpg on a run up to Oxford and back from the south coast......my old GTD with a few miles on the clock could do a bit better...driving sensibly around the M25 it'd clock up towards 60mpg...but open the taps and it'd drop into the mid/low 50's.

I got about 48 out of my last tank which I was quite happy with given its only done 7k miles.

TBF....having 180-odd horses in a car that struggles to do less than 40mpg no matter how its driven on a reasonable run I have no complaints. The only annoying thing is the piddly fuel tank means its range isnt anything special.

Philboy

11 weeks or 11 months?? That's a hell of a lot of miles for 11 weeks but certainly possible

Hi Yeh 11 weeks lol am a busy man

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
With the much colder weather, and major roadworks on my way to and from work at present, my MPG has dropped considerably, and I'm now only getting around 42-43mpg from a cold start each day.

I did do a quick test last night on my way home, After waiting for 30 minutes in road work traffic jams just outside work (so again from cold start), and finally making it to the motorway for my journey home (about 11 miles of motorway @ approx 70mph, and 5 miles of "A" roads @ approx 50/30 mph), I re-set the average trip economy after joining the motorway and when I got home it was showing 60.4 mpg. It proves that most of my problem is a) Cold starts and the engine warming up and b) my stop start for 30 minutes crawling in traffic jams.

In the warmer weather to come in Spring and summer, and without the roadworks, I usually expect to easily get 55-60mpg for my standard journey with a tank average of high forties / low fifties (with all my other town running around). Pretty happy with that generally for the performance the car has to offer.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
ECO mode vs sport mode won't make bugger all difference to MPG if the majority of the journey is sat cruising on a motorway.

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
I picked mine up on monday with 5 miles on the clock. The highest Ive had so far is 48 and the average so far over the last 100 miles is 45. Considering its a new car and not even close to run in Im happy with that. In contrast my old 1.7 corsa was only getting 51mpg so again pretty good.

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
2,200 miles on the clock on mine. Averaging 40.6 MPG since delivery (at 16 miles). Seems to get about 30-35 in reasonable city-traffic and 42-44 on the motorways (usually 75mph cruise). Would be happier with a mid-forties average like most people seem to be getting, but maybe the engine is still too young? I also filled it up with premium diesel (v-power) for the first time recently so will be interesting how much difference it could make.

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
Well according to the think blue this was my average. Car has not cracked 450 miles yet

J400uk

Ready to race!
I've averaged about 48mpg overall from 16,000 miles/ 8 months

Generally see 50 upwards most days commuting, but weekend usage and urban driving pulls down the overall!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
123ish mile drive from Oxford to South Coast including a reasonable crawl around M25 and some spirited driving.....just under 52mpg. Is a 5 door manual with no tuning. Just clocked 8k miles.

Much colder this morning and averaged about 47 on journey up.

No complaints considering how pokey it is.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
From what I've heard, ECO hurts gas mileage, not improves it haha. Just reduces throttle response and makes you have to mash it more to get moving. And for the highway ECO mode shouldn't make any difference on mileage anyway