GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gtd estate 2015 oil usage

Philboy

Hi i am new to this posting having just joined today! My Gtd estate is using 2.5lt of oil every 10,000 miles i do about 1,500 miles a week on average my old gt never used anything like this in fact none at all am a bit concerned anybody else had any issues? car has done 15000 miles since December!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
My 2016MY GTD hatch seems to have used hardly if any oil in 7k miles and Ive driven it pretty hard most of those miles. Id say its not normal.

If its not burning oil...it could perhaps have a leak. Before I got this GTD I inherreted a late 2014 one to run about in for a few months and I experienced an oil usage issue. It transpired that (in the infinite wisdom of my fleet dept) the car had been serviced prior to me receiving it by a non franchised garage and they'd cross threaded the oil filter cap leading to it gradually draining a litre or so of oil all over the undertray over a 5k mile 2.5 month period. I only noticed after parking the car on my v sloped driveway for the first time (I have two driveways) and noticing the fresh oil (having run off the undertray).

It had to go back into VW where I believe they dumped the oil, replaced the filter and cover and refilled and used a ton of brake cleaner on the block and undertray to clean it up as it was a hell of a mess.

Not suggesting this is definitely the issue but given the oil filter is situated at the bottom of the engine and can give rise to this issue (though was due to 3rd party negligence in my case) its worth bearing in mind.

....an LED inspection torch was also found wedged between the block and the undertray...duely returned to the offending garage with my compliments haha

Philboy

i have booked it in to vw to look at tomorrow see what they come up with!
My other golfs have all been remapped i mentioned it to the garage today and they said it will invalidate my warranty which obviously with the ongoing oil issues i dont want to do!
I have been looking at tuning boxes but im not convinced it will work ok especially doing my 60-70k miles a year any thoughts or advice?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Hi Philboy,

Ive just checked my oil and rather to my surprise its done about 1/2 litre in 7k miles...pretty hard miles mind.

My coolant has also dropped and needed a little top up....it was low when I got the car so this will be the 2nd time (I alternate G13 coolant/water between top ups).

Thinking back when my 140 CR Mk6 Golf was new it ate a bit of oil until it had a good 12/15k under its belt...that didnt really feel fully loosened up until it had done approaching 20k miles.

I guess a bit of use, particularly on an oil burner is to be expected but 2.5l in 10k is rather alot. Good to get it checked as you plan to.

Philboy

Hi pipsyp it was in at vw today no oil leak was found and apparently the coolant system is very difficult to bleed which is why it loses water over a period of time it has some air in the system when its new which vents and thereby dropping the level it should stop now!!
Not sure i believe that however time will tell i am going to keep the car till it dies (i do 60-70,000 miles a year so will see what happens!)

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi pipsyp it was in at vw today no oil leak was found and apparently the coolant system is very difficult to bleed which is why it loses water over a period of time it has some air in the system when its new which vents and thereby dropping the level it should stop now!!
Not sure i believe that however time will tell i am going to keep the car till it dies (i do 60-70,000 miles a year so will see what happens!)

LOL, that's the very same story I've been told twice by different dealers about coolant usage and 20 odd thousand miles in it still use's coolant. Default VW 'fob the customer off' answer along with 'that's a characteristic of the mk7 Golf'.

Hope it's a company car Phil or it's going to cost you a fortune in service costs, £190 for an oil change every 10k miles, ouch!:eek: