GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD clutches/remapping/tuning boxes

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I've bitten the bullet & decided to try a DTUK CRD-T on the car.

Any advice on which map to use gratefully received. Liked the look of 1+1. Want the delivery as OEM and progressive as possible...

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I'm aware of all your points thanks??

Not quite sure I'm convinced by the re-learning/reduction of power to stock levels? Have you any evidence to quantify it- or is it something your re-mapper told you? In any case the claim is anecdotal. Surely, at worst, a battery disconnect would restore all defaults.

As for the jerky power delivery- it depends on the settings. Get too greedy & im sure the delivery is all or nothing. As I'm reasonably sensible though, I will aim to avoid such settings.

The RR map on the DTUK site certainly doesn't look to deliver the power in a 'jerky' manner?

fastlane1

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't tried box solution on GTD but on other diesels and it is a very primitive way of tuning.

It's all about fouling the system to add more fuel and/or boost.

Thats how they work, if you like that go for it but remapping is always always better for the engine.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
As you are well aware, you decide on a tuning box over a remap:confused::confused:

With all the tech on the new cars, they learn to adjust to your driving styles. Which means it will over compensate for a tuning box & limit the power. Newer diesels have a lambda sensor just like petrols.

Any decent tuner will confirm this. And the not flagged by a dealer is complete rubbish.

Both a remap & tunning will leave a trace.

Rappy:cool:

fastlane1

Passed Driver's Ed
As you are well aware, you decide on a tuning box over a remap:confused::confused:

With all the tech on the new cars, they learn to adjust to your driving styles. Which means it will over compensate for a tuning box & limit the power. Newer diesels have a lambda sensor just like petrols.

Any decent tuner will confirm this. And the not flagged by a dealer is complete rubbish.

But all dealers can't find the clues of tuning :D:D

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed

Who has mentioned 'not flagged by a dealer'? Not me?

I still don't see any valid evidence to suggest this 'learning mode'/power drop is going to occur? Can you expand technically- I'm a licensed aircraft engineer by trade so I should follow..

With all due respect- the word of a user on the mk7 Golf forum isn't exactly gospel....

golfhappy

Ready to race!
The lambda measures the exhaust exit gases NOx CO hydrocarbons and and sends a corrective signal back to the ecu to trims fuel accordingly.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Not you personally, but you hear various false claims. The dealer cant tell etc....

Pleased to hear you are engineer by trade.

So a lambda sensor constantly measures the fuel, air mixtute & boost. By adding a tuning box it fools all these variables. But the Lambda sensor will send these high readings back to the ecu & it will readjust to over come the tuning box.

Over a period of time the car will go back to stock. It will be a gradual thing & I doubt you would notice.

The only way 100% proof would be to put a car on the rollers day 1 & day 365. I guarantee you would see a drop.

Also, tuning boxes are not a good thing as they make the car run far to rich, which can damage the engine & cause you too loose bhp.

I'm well aware how a Lambda works Rappy.

It doesn't measure fuel, air mix & boost.

What it does do is sense oxygen content within the gas stream. Crucially on a modern diesel, unlike a petrol engine Lambda it isn't used to maintain a given air/fuel ratio in closed loop. On a derv its primarily to do measuring oxygen content for DPF regeneration/control of the EGR system.....

As such the car will not go back to stock. If a remap/tuning box were to gradually tail off in terms of output I think I'd notice the loss of power/torque.....wouldn't you given the claimed gains they give??

Any remap or tuning box on a diesel increases fuelling (in conjunction with boost) to give a bigger bang & make more power. That's the physics of it.

Therefore, If your Lambda theory were correct then either a mapped or tuning-boxed vehicle would both return to 'stock power' as the Lambda would 'see' the richer (for more power) mixture and trim it back...

I totally appreciate and accept that a remap is less crude & no doubt ultimately smoother & more controlled.

However please don't go spouting off regarding technical stuff if you haven't got any facts & only some anecdotal heresay to go on...

Makes you look a tad foolish.

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
Rappy- yes I KNOW how each works!! Physics dictates more fuel (combined with boost) is required to make more power though! Whether this fuel is added via a modded map or box modifying OEM settings- it needs more fuel than OEM!!!!

Your Lambda reply clearly illustrates your knowledge is limited though.

'So a lambda sensor constantly measures the fuel, air mixtute & boost' Does it really?? Are you sure?? :-/

And still no facts to back up your theory...

chrismc

Passed Driver's Ed
The golden rule applies here: If it aint moved for 5 minutes, don't shag it!

There thread ended :)

:D:D Like it!

As a small postscript- Box fitted. Does what it says. No fault codes. No poor power delivery, No terrible consumption from running far too rich. Will report back in a year as to whether power has returned to stock....

I don't think I need to comment further!