GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Car Play / Car-Net / WLAN

J3OEF

Car(s)
VW Golf GTD
Good afternoon all,

My wife is the new owner of a White Silver VW Golf GTD which i must admit is rather nice and is very spacious. She has previously been driving a 2011 Audi TT so for her the difference is night and day. I on the other hand drive a BMW M235i but have always liked the Golf's. Did look at an R prior to getting the BMW.

Anyway,

Can someone answer a few questions for me regarding Apple Car Play and WLAN.

Is it possible for her to use her iPhone without the need to constantly plug it in? I've tried to setup WLAN using her phone as a mobile hotspot but I'm constantly told there is no internet connection which is frustrating as there clearly is a connection to the internet. I've even connected it to my home WiFi and it says the same thing? Is there any reason for this?

The car has Car-Net which is why I've tried to get the WLAN/Internet working but so far, I've been unsuccessful. I've done all the registration process and entered the code in the infotainment systems etc but no joy.

I did read, wireless is only available with certain head units? is that the case? The one she has is all touch screen apart from 2 turn buttons on either side. It doesn't have the gesture control option, has voice command which doesn't seem to work or is active.

Any help would be appreciated? Also, not that she uses it as she uses Waze, but what is the best way to get the Nav installed on these? As the car come with a NAV CD but it seems the SD card is missing.

Thanks

lightbody

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI mk7.5
What year / mk is your wife's car?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The MK7 Golf does not have a CD for navigation, its all through the SD card that it should have come with. Obviously its a second hand car, & it sounds like it has a MIB2 or newer head unit going by your description. However its common for people to fit a hacked newer unit to an older MK7, which could explain some of the problems you are having.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Good afternoon all,

My wife is the new owner of a White Silver VW Golf GTD which i must admit is rather nice and is very spacious. She has previously been driving a 2011 Audi TT so for her the difference is night and day. I on the other hand drive a BMW M235i but have always liked the Golf's. Did look at an R prior to getting the BMW.

Anyway,

Can someone answer a few questions for me regarding Apple Car Play and WLAN.

Is it possible for her to use her iPhone without the need to constantly plug it in? I've tried to setup WLAN using her phone as a mobile hotspot but I'm constantly told there is no internet connection which is frustrating as there clearly is a connection to the internet. I've even connected it to my home WiFi and it says the same thing? Is there any reason for this?

The car has Car-Net which is why I've tried to get the WLAN/Internet working but so far, I've been unsuccessful. I've done all the registration process and entered the code in the infotainment systems etc but no joy.

I did read, wireless is only available with certain head units? is that the case? The one she has is all touch screen apart from 2 turn buttons on either side. It doesn't have the gesture control option, has voice command which doesn't seem to work or is active.

Any help would be appreciated? Also, not that she uses it as she uses Waze, but what is the best way to get the Nav installed on these? As the car come with a NAV CD but it seems the SD card is missing.

Thanks
What are you looking to achieve? Bluetooth will work for audio wirelessly.

If you're looking for Apple CarPlay wirelessly, you need a Carlinkit dongle. This will only work if your system has CarPlay functional already.

Kevstar

Car(s)
VW GOLF R MK7
1638696798341.png

Here is your answer.