GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD and lowering springs

s7wag

Ready to race!
Has any MK7 GTD owner replaced their OEM springs with VWR, Eibach, H&S or other. Wondering if there are any views/opinions on the best option for lowering the car to fill those gaps for general road use (other than leave OEM)?

Thanks

s7wag

Ready to race!
Do you have a pic you could share with me of your car with VWR fitted? Thank you.

Checked the various feeds on the forum and looks like most/best reviews come from the VWR springs fitment, so I've ordered VWRs today from AwesomeGTI...

Last edited:

vagman15

lets try this image

Attachments

• SAM_4480.JPG
    SAM_4480.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 18,819

s7wag

Ready to race!
Excellent, thank you so much. Good to see the picture of the results. That's looking good! Are you considering any spacers/flush-kits, or leaving as -is for now?

Thanks again

vagman15

spoke to soon.. now have 10mm H&R spacers all round.. just right. looks great with the Eibach lowering... not too wide - factory look

Attachments

• 20150910_161015.jpg
    20150910_161015.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 21,260

s7wag

Ready to race!
now, that does look good and really does make a difference with the spacers, nice job! Are you on 18" alloys? Where did you get the H&S spacers from - any price and part numbers you can share? thanks again

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Vagmans looks cool....though IMHO I dont think the stock GTD stance is bad at all....very little arch gap and not begging for spacers.

My concern is that its low anyway and the ride (for me) plenty firm enough.....clearance issues and negative impact on ride quality (which isnt fabulous but acceptable) would be my worries for day to day driving.

That said mines a company car and I do probably in excess of 25k/year so those things are important to me....couldnt modify it like that in any case :)

vagman15

the h&R spacers were £168 from Larkspeed.. inc bolts and P+P and standard 18" alloys..

never had any clearance issues at all, even when I had 3 people and loads of gear. which is odd considering the eibach's were a reasonable drop.. ride is still good...

looks OEM to the untrained eye..

Attachments

• 20150910_160938low_spacejpg.jpg
    20150910_160938low_spacejpg.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 12,815

vagman15

yes sorry 10mm all round.. I think people go for 15 front and 20 rear for complete flush tyre / arch combo but that IMO looks abit too much..

daryl8007

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not really any harsher lowered and easily better than my on 3 series M Sport! They do need spacers too as the look a bit lost in the arches otherwise. They respond greatly to a map too!

s7wag

Ready to race!
OEM Santiagos 19"x7.5xET51 - fitted 12mm front and 15mm rear spacers

Good afternoon all,

Today I took the plunge and fitted the new front (12mm) and rear (15mm) spacers to my GTD together with the extended wheel/locking bolts and here's the result.

I've had a test drive (only me in the car) and all 'seems' to be OK. Not sure if fully laden or on the limit whether it will then raise a problem. Fingers crossed for now!

Still anxious about the VWR springs being fitted in a couple of weeks and whether they will then cause any rubbing/complications.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• 15-20 spacers-4.jpg
    15-20 spacers-4.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 12,067
  • 15-20-spacers-1.jpg
    15-20-spacers-1.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 9,576
Last edited: