GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GSW 1.8T IS20 Tune Options

bizzy27

I just upgraded from my IS12 APR Stage 1 to the following setup on my 17 GSW 4motion 6spd
IS20, Golf R Downpipe, RS3 Coilpack/RS7 Spark Plugs

Just wanted to gather my thoughts and get some input before I decide which path I want to go. I am in no rush and just wanted to take my time before dropping some $. I was initially planning on going with the APR IS20 w/downpipe, however we all know that went out the window this past labor day weekend.

1. APR Stage 3 IS20 ($299) - power left on the table due to missing out on the "downpipe" tune deadline
3. JB4 Stack ($500-$600)
3. Unitronic IS20 Stage 2 ($850 + $150 for programming tool)
4. EcuTEK (pending?)
5. Maestro ($800)
6. Reflect (unknown yet)

ZuMBLe has been helpful with a few questions and mentioned that I am currently fine running my APR Stage 1 w/ the IS20 and had the suggestion of stacking with JB4, so I'm currently leaning more toward that direction.

I'm open to any suggestions/options. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
ZuMBLe is the guy to talk to about JB4 stacking your APR tune. Nice thing about the JB4 is you can log, tweak your tune with George, and also sell it in the future if you decide to go another route to recoup some of your initial investment. Can't do that with an APR/Unitronic/other off the shelf tune. United Motorsport is missing from your list of OTS tunes.

EcuTek does not currently support the 4Motion GSW/AT 1.8T models, but if it happens it's the closest thing to COBB Accessport on the 2.0 MQB's we'll get. @joedubs and I have been communicating with them trying to get us supported. TBD.

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
United Motorsports has an IS20 tune. I currently have their stage 1on my 2017 4motion Sportwagen, will be installing APR Downpipe and IS38 next week and then going to their IS38 tune.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
So basically spend 100% more to get that missing 10hp because he/she missed the APR deadline? I guess if you’re racing for $$$ but i would rather spend that money on hookers and some blow.

I think that's what he's saying.

Doesn't want the current APR offering because it leaves some power on the table. Fwiw, if you're racing for money you're 1) not buying APR and 2) not complaining about $300

Apr calls an is20 w/ downpipe "stage 3"?
What's a hybrid? Stage 5?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think that's what he's saying.

Doesn't want the current APR offering because it leaves some power on the table. Fwiw, if you're racing for money you're 1) not buying APR and 2) not complaining about $300

Apr calls an is20 w/ downpipe "stage 3"?
What's a hybrid? Stage 5?
APR's previous downpipe files were considered "stage 2". Now that they don't offer that, they are calling their upgraded IS20/IS38 turbo files for stock downpipe "stage 3". I feel ripped off...I have Unitronic and am only Stage 2 with my IS20 and DP...hahahahaa

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
APR's previous downpipe files were considered "stage 2". Now that they don't offer that, they are calling their upgraded IS20/IS38 turbo files for stock downpipe "stage 3". I feel ripped off...I have Unitronic and am only Stage 2 with my IS20 and DP...hahahahaa

I'm promoting you to stage 3 based on that comment. 😂

tigeo

Autocross Champion

bizzy27

Haha I appreciate all the feedback. I can't really complain too much as I bought the car with APR Stage 1 already installed so I'm not really out $ in that regard which is why I'm open to the various options.

I'm still leaning toward JB4 due to the additional logging aspect it provides. Anyone else have experience stacking tunes whether its APR or any of the others? I know a little bit from perusing the JB4 threads about starting in Map0/8, and then going Map6 but haven't seen too much info with people actually stacking. I'll probably dig through both the Golf and GTI threads to see what else I might have missed.

The IS20 right now feels amazing and I'm at 29k mi on the stock clutch, so I'm thinking of probably making my tuning decision once I start feeling my clutch going out...and upgrade the clutch/tune at the same time.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Haha I appreciate all the feedback. I can't really complain too much as I bought the car with APR Stage 1 already installed so I'm not really out $ in that regard which is why I'm open to the various options.

I'm still leaning toward JB4 due to the additional logging aspect it provides. Anyone else have experience stacking tunes whether its APR or any of the others? I know a little bit from perusing the JB4 threads about starting in Map0/8, and then going Map6 but haven't seen too much info with people actually stacking. I'll probably dig through both the Golf and GTI threads to see what else I might have missed.

The IS20 right now feels amazing and I'm at 29k mi on the stock clutch, so I'm thinking of probably making my tuning decision once I start feeling my clutch going out...and upgrade the clutch/tune at the same time.
Ok, had to re-read your OP. What you have now should be the same as the Stage 3 they now show, it's just their IS20 tune and you already have that, just not the aftermarket DP file which isn't adding anything beyond killing the CEL from the high-flow cat and obviously the bit more power you get from the DP which is across the power band. I don't think the tune does a thing w/r to boost etc. with the "stage 2" files on the 1.8. Someone will correct me I'm sure if they don't agree with that. There really isn't much more you can do with the IS20 than what you have - sure, you can stack a JB4 on it and there are some v. knowledgeable folks here for that. I've understood that stacking is more advantageous with the timing-heavy tunes like Unitronic vs. boost heavy like APR.

bizzy27

Sorry, just want to clarify again as I might not have been completely clear in my OP.

I currently have the APR Stage 1 IS12 Tune running on my IS20 setup, NOT the APR IS20 Tune.