GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Apex ARC-8 Wheels

Are you interested in the Apex Wheel group buy?

• Total voters

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Proposed spec:
Apex ARC - 8
17x8.5 ET45
Weight: +/- 17.2 lbs
Tires:
Will accommodate -
245/255-40-17 R-Comp or Street Tire
225-40/45/17 Hoosier R/A7

https://www.apexraceparts.com/wheels...c-8-wheel.html

The goal here is to generate enough interest and support from the MQB community, for Apex to produce a wheel for the Mk7 Golf platform. So, I am asking those who are seriously interested to sign up for this group buy.

The above wheel should accommodate a range of popular tire sizes for the track and offer a good overall fitment. Running a 17” tire allows slightly more aggressive width than 18” wheels to maximize mechanical grip. 17” tires are also a couple hundred dollars cheaper than equivalent 18” tires. Apex ARC 8’s is also BBK friendly.

Apex will conduct FEA stress analysis specific to the Mk7 platform weight and load requirements. Hub center will be specific to the Mk7GTi/MQB platform – no hub centric rings
These wheels are specifically designed for track use. The balance of strength over weight to produce a wheel that will handle the rigors of track work over bragging rights of who has the lightest wheel. Strong enough to hand track duty. Taking curbing to optimize lines around the track. Of all the wheels I did research on, these appear to be the most BBK friendly. They are very popular amongst the BMW track crowd. Let’s stand together and provide support to bring this to the VW community.

Attachments

• 4606A9CD-DBB8-4035-87BF-6B51D62C7BB6.jpeg
    4606A9CD-DBB8-4035-87BF-6B51D62C7BB6.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 559

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What color are you wanting?

The main goal was to get folks signed up. Color details was a discussion I was planning when we had the necessary support. I guess I would run a color poll.

I’ll most probably go with the majority decision, even if the color is not my first choice. This is more about function over form for me, but I understand that folks want a color to match their car.

To answer your question, Apex is likely to go with a single color for the first production run. But I can always ask.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
How BBK friendly are the Motegis? Do they have the VW ball seats for the OEM lugs?

No question that’s a good price.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Apex makes very nice concave-ish bmw wheels

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I can't participate, but I did have an excellent experience with Apex wheels on a BMW a few years ago. I can't recall anyone reporting cracks or bends on e90post. Finish held up well for the 3+ years I had them.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Question?
No experience beyond 8" width, but does the 8.5" clear everything with PP brakes and 1" lower? Suspension and fender clearance? Screw mod needed? I assume tire width would be 245? 245/40R17?
Anyone have sidewall height difference compared to an 18x8 with 235/40R18?

How is 245 for daily driver?
How in rain?
I know depends on tires but asking about a wide tire and impact on these.
Like the wheel for a winter set, just wider than I considered but would look good. Lighter color better. Silver or a gunmetal. Black not my choice.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I had a rub with 245-40-18 on heavy compressions at stock ride height. A 245-40-17 should give you sufficient wiggle room with a 1” drop.

I ran MP4S’s and they are great in the rain.

Im looking at a 255-40-17 but I’m at stock ride height.

Scala

Ready to race!
How BBK friendly are the Motegis? Do they have the VW ball seats for the OEM lugs?

They supply lugs and hub rings. I had the same design on my track Miata with the big Wilwood brakes and they fit with good clearance.

If available in black I'll be ordering one at first to try the fitment. Consider that I am at stock height and have no plans to lower the car.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ok, so I’ve had a response from the Apex General Sales Manager.

Apex resources have been working on wheel design for the Gen5 Camaro and Vette C5-7 group buy. Apex is going to expand the 17” range of wheels for the BMW’s and Subaru/BRZ’s. I am told that Audi/VW fitment is going to be part of this 17” wheel design. Meaning hub centric and ET’s for our MK7 MQB platform.

Stoptech, AP Essex, Brembo and PowerBrake BBK clearance will feature in the design requirement for the VW specific wheel design.

I do not have a timeline or any other details. As I get more info, I will keep you all posted.