GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Apex ARC-8 Wheels

Are you interested in the Apex Wheel group buy?

• Total voters

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If my effective ET is 38, using a 10mm spacer, and the magical ET is 45, why don’t I have enough room for more camber?

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Apex Wheels Correspondence

Folks, I have been out traveling and have had family in town. So apologize for the tardy response.

The following is the latest correspondence from Apex Wheels:

“When entering into a new market, AP/Essex brakes are always on our test list (along with some of the other popular manufacturers like Brembo, StopTech, Wilwood, etc.). We have more recently been working with Jeff Ritter and the Essex team on some new projects like Corvette wheels, as they have been heavily involved in that space for some time now. We have a lot of trust in their technical knowledge and a few of us here at APEX run AP Essex brakes on our track/race cars. You are lucky to be so close to their facility.

I have been slammed with the our new forged wheel line, which just launched earlier this week. This has been a long time coming, and it is a big step forward for the company. If you are curious, you can find more info here: LINK

Our work is certainly not done, but the initial forged launch is complete and that means more internal bandwidth can be devoted to ongoing projects like finishing the Corvette and VW/Audi wheels. Both have been a work in progress for some time now, but as discussed in our previous correspondence, limited resources and bandwidth means we haven't been able to really push them through all of the necessary steps at the pace we would like. This is the main reason why we have not publicly announced anything on the VW/Audi forums, as we want to ensure that all of our ducks are in a row. To your point, we understand we may lose potential customers along the way due to the extended time table, but we prefer to release a superior product.”

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I have to use a 10mm spacer with my set of 18x9 et48 wheels, and -0.8 degrees of rear camber to clear the fuel filler neck on the passenger side of my MK7.

How are other people making this work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
Cliff is running Neuspeed 18x9 et 45 with 255-35-18 Direzza Z3’s. Lowered but with -2.5 front -1.8 rear

Based on Cliff’s experience, I’m now running 255-35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport4S at stock ride height no rubbing issues. -2F/-1.8R with SuperPro 018k front LCA’s.

I’ve taken some photos to show clearance. I will post those shortly.

My track wheels are Neuspeed RSE16’s with NT01’s 255-40-17. No rubbing even when monstering curbs. I have rubbed the paint off the fuel filler shield. This I believe is from tire deflection. I have about 1/4” clearance at static ride height

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
If my effective ET is 38, using a 10mm spacer, and the magical ET is 45, why don’t I have enough room for more camber?

What tires are you running?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ok Folks.

Spoke to the Sales Manager this afternoon. Apex wheels IS going to support the MQB platform. The wheel design and specs have been finalized. Main-line brand BBKs (AP-Essex/Stoptech) have been taken into consideration.

Once production bandwidth can be secured, Apex will launch an official wheel group buy on their website. Apex plans on expanding the wheel offering based on demand. The goal is for early next year before the start of the next track season. Maybe not the answer some were looking for, but positive confirmation from Apex.

For me this will mean a track oriented wheel, designed for the rigors of HPDE’s. Something that is BBK friendly in the right offset for the MQB platform. 17x8.5-9” and 18x9 for folks in AWD R platforms.

I’m working on getting more detail on which BBK’s will clear the 17” wheel.

AWD/R’s have the room in the rear to fit 18x9 et45
FWD GTi’s are limited by the fuel filler pipe in the right rear.
17x8.5 et 45 will work. A 9” wheel will fit if you move the fuel tank over.

If anyone is running a 17x9 or 18x9 et 45 wheel with a 255 or 265 wide, please let me know on a FWD GTi, let me know. I’d appreciate it if you could take some detail photos of tire/fender clearance. Particularly the right rear.

Is anyone running slicks on track? These tend to run wider size for size than most street tires.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Funny, I was just looking at their group buy on the ARC-8 wheels for the BMW community.

Would be super dope if they release a 5x112 variant, or hell - even 5x114.3 so I can use my wobbles.

Currently running 17x9 +45 with a 245/40 tire - wasn't aware of any rubbing in the right rear.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Funny, I was just looking at their group buy on the ARC-8 wheels for the BMW community.

Would be super dope if they release a 5x112 variant, or hell - even 5x114.3 so I can use my wobbles.

Currently running 17x9 +45 with a 245/40 tire - wasn't aware of any rubbing in the right rear.

I run Nitto NT 01’s on track - 255-40-17’s on 17x8.5 et 45. I rubbed the paint off the fuel filler pipe. So very minor in my case.

I will post a photo this weekend.