GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Green crud on spark plug

Pedlow

Engine light came on so I plugged in the obd reader and it said misfire cylinder 4 so I pulled the plug out and had a bunch of lime green crud on it, does anyone know what this is can't find anything on it.
IMG_20200527_174147.jpg

sfbell3

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Agree with Diggs. When you replace your coil packs next time you’ll see they stick some of that inside the boot.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Has Hoon worked on your car? 😂

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
It's some sort of dielectric grease. The insides of the coil packs are coated with the stuff.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Looks like dielectric grease.
Indeed it is. If you buy new coilpacks you will see it comes prefilled with some. It is ok and preferable to have some in the coilpacks, just not excessive amounts all over the contacts where it wont let electricity flow

JSUN1

Passed Driver's Ed
I had some grease (dielectric) on my spark plugs (Alltrack) BUT I also noticed this red sticky stuff on my spark plug socket when I pulled the plugs, it had to have come from the deep bore that the coil boot fits into. I'd like to know what that red stuff is. It was very thick and sticky I had to use Simple Green to clean it off y spark plug socket. This was the first time changing plugs. Does anyone know what the red stuff is?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I had some grease (dielectric) on my spark plugs (Alltrack) BUT I also noticed this red sticky stuff on my spark plug socket when I pulled the plugs, it had to have come from the deep bore that the coil boot fits into. I'd like to know what that red stuff is. It was very thick and sticky I had to use Simple Green to clean it off y spark plug socket. This was the first time changing plugs. Does anyone know what the red stuff is?
Valve cover/cam girdle sealant