GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got scammed by Wisebrady for $400

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
I got screwed😓
Worse part is I was just in the process of rebuilding the engine on a car that was sold to me with a bad engine 2 years ago.
Been without my GTI for 9 months and to top it off an intoxicated driver ran a red light and t-bone the car I borrowed.😪
Messed up!!
How do I double check to make sure?
His profile showed he had a successful transaction with someone.

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
He was banned last week. Don't send money to Russia, especially as "Friends and Family" to strangers. Sorry to hear about the rest of your misfortunes
Thank you for the sympathy.
How do we prevent this? Besides sending the money securely.
Is there a way.
He sent me a private message. Should I have looked at that as a flag. Rough day

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thank you for the sympathy.
How do we prevent this? Besides sending the money securely.
Is there a way.
He sent me a private message. Should I have looked at that as a flag. Rough day
You can post screenshots of your interactions with him and we'll point out all the red flags...but basically:
The PM isn't a red flag. Sending money to Russia is a red flag. Him only accepting it via "friends and family" is a red flag. He probably told you he's selling it for his buddy overseas, which is another red flag. He only had a few posts which isn't a great indicator either.

And be cautious anytime a complete stranger approaches you and is 'aggressively/forcefully' trying to act like your new best friend, especially when there's a potential monetary transaction involved (he was probably calling you 'bud' every sentence like he did to the other members he was contacting on here).

Another guy that got scammed by him started a thread that you can look through- https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...t-a-scammer-being-deleted.382959/post-7607905

Last edited:

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
You can post screenshots of your interactions with him and we'll point out all the red flags...but basically:
The PM isn't a red flag. Sending money to Russia is a red flag. Him only accepting it via "friends and family" is a red flag. He probably told you he's selling it for his buddy overseas, which is another red flag. He only had a few posts which isn't a great indicator either.

And be cautious anytime a complete stranger approaches you and is 'aggressively/forcefully' trying to act like your new best friend, especially when there's a potential monetary transaction involved (he was probably calling you 'bud' every sentence like he did to the other members he was contacting on here).

Another guy that got scammed by him started a thread that you can look through- https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...t-a-scammer-being-deleted.382959/post-7607905
Appreciate the time you took for great advise.
Good looking out!!
Lesson learned

Papercuts2

Ready to race!
It's posted on a forum sticky to never send money friends and family no matter what the circumstances. The forum can't do anything to prevent it unfortunately, with 36k+ members it's impossible to personally vet everyone out.
I understand .
I’ve just been trough a lot and and it’s affected my judgment because I really know better than to do what I did.
It is what it is at this point. It’s just going to set me back on my engine.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
PayPal fees are 3%. If it’s more than I’d feel comfortable spending on beer for the week I cover the fees. I also may be more comfortable spending money on beer than most.

I’ve got over 300 rating on eBay, used to sling parts from Japan to all points on the globe. Haven’t sold much in a few years.

I sold a $129 model train locomotive and PayPal held my funds In escrow till the buyer says he got the product.

Pay the 3% to protect yourself... always and forever. FFS, you spend $1k it’s a $30 insurance policy... don’t have 5 frufru coffees to make the difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've only been scammed on car parts once in over 30 years. It was by a Neuspeed employee back in the 90's. Called to buy wheels for my GTI, because got run off the road and bent all 4 stock BBS. Guy on the phone says I've got 4 stock wheels in good shape, I'll sell them to you. I send money order. Guy says he never got the money order and he already sold the wheels. I cancel money order, buy wheels and go on my way. Dude cashes the money order 6 months later and I get a bill from the post office for the amount.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
As others have mentioned, if a seller asks for Friends and Family (FF or F&F sometimes), it's usually not a good sign. Usually, what I do is tell them I only pay Goods and Services and will add on the extra percentage to essentially "overpay." I use the calculator below to figure out what that number would be. If the seller refuses and demands F&F, I instantly stop the conversation and block them any way I can.

The Fee Calculator - Calculate PayPal merchant fees for credit cards