GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got rear ended, repair cost estimates? (Pics included)

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
You didn’t get hit into someone else right? Here is my mk6 that got sandwiched & totaled. I believe estimates were around 15k but the front had a lot of damage too. Bulk of the cost will be paint and labor, so the more panels you need could help bring the paint cost up. For you I’d say somewhere in the 6-8k range total since it’s newer. IMG_1648.JPG

jcarl126

Ready to race!
that is gonna have some rear body panel damage, AND potentially some floor pan damage. CAREFULLY under good light make sure there are no buckles in either quarter panel. truly wont know the extent of that one until a tech takes that bumper off (or you can lift your rear tire assy out and see how crunched anything is

jcarl126

Ready to race!
The adjustor is going to eyeball the damage and give you a lowall estimate because it is unlikely that they'll put it on a lift, pull bits off and so forth.

The "real" estimate will come when the body shop takes the bumper cover off and takes a close look at the frame.

It is next to impossible to estimate damage on a modern car from pictures. Crush zones and safety systems make this impossible as a car is built to sacrifice itself for you. Had you been driving a 20 year old car then you'd be in the hospital right now.

Tail light assemblies, bumper cover and hatch add up to a couple of grand. What interior bits are broken? How is the hatch attached and are those attachment points damaged? Your comment that you can't get to the spare tells me that the hatch can be opened but that there may be frame damage.

Have you been to the doctor?

Like another poster said - don't go to the insurance recommended body shop. He must have read my earlier recommendation about finding a Porsche or other high end shop.

BTW - you are entitled to a rental vehicle even if you don't have that on your policy. What your limits are are immaterial as you weren't at fault. I've you've gone through your insurance, then you'll have to pay your deductible but you'll get it back eventually.

Good luck and keep us posted.

this is excellent advice!!

one more thing to note, pending you keeping the car post repairs... make sure you follow up with the other persons insurance about DIMINISHED VALUE!!! you are a claimant (from what it looks like) you are entitled to the monetary difference the damages would make if you were to sell the car with that being on the accident report.

also to note, being that it looks like the top of your hatch will not seal to prevent water from entering the cabin you are technically in a non-driveable vehicle, aka entitled to a rental car TODAY. get that hatch collision wrapped and drop it at the repair facility of your choosing

I was rear ended and all I needed was a new bumper (and all parts underneath) as well as new hatch.
I believe it was around $4k for parts paint labor.
Yours looks worse than mine, so I would expect it to be more.
As for the squeaking noise, your exhaust may be off one of the hangars towards the front.
Same thing happened to me and I found out about it because someone who had it happen to them told me about it.

Looking at those pics again I notice that the hatch is definitely out of alignment.
Although I see no creases in the quarters, there may be some underlying damage there once everything is apart.
definitely start getting dem. value research started and possibly see if there are any MK7.5's around that you like.

Good luck.

Dang! Yeah, definitely way more damage than just the bumper, so I would think it would be 2-3 times that cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Here is all mine was...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2ow55nssjhzmkb/294.JPG?dl=0

And like I said I believe it totaled around $4k all said and done.
I took it to the local VW dealer that has a body shop (the same dealer uses that shop for BMW and Porsche as well) and it was all new, OEM parts.

Last edited:

AJ15

Ready to race!
Dangit, another "Sport" rear-ended. Hope it works out for you. Please do come back and keep us updated. It's really helpful to know how these things work out.

Here is all mine was...

And like I said I believe it totaled around $4k all said and done.
I took it to the local VW dealer that has a body shop (the same dealer uses that shop for BMW and Porsche as well) and it was all new, OEM parts.

I can’t see the pic, but I can paint a pic of the damage in my head I think.

Dangit, another "Sport" rear-ended. Hope it works out for you. Please do come back and keep us updated. It's really helpful to know how these things work out.

I will definitely keep everyone updated. Still haven’t heard anything on estimates from the collision center. The place is a collision center that is affiliated with a VW dealer, so I honestly have no idea how they price their parts. He did say it would be replaced with OEM parts though.

You didn’t get hit into someone else right? Here is my mk6 that got sandwiched & totaled. I believe estimates were around 15k but the front had a lot of damage too. Bulk of the cost will be paint and labor, so the more panels you need could help bring the paint cost up. For you I’d say somewhere in the 6-8k range total since it’s newer. View attachment 21654

No, I didn’t hit anyone else. So it’s all rear ended damage. What kind of damage was done to your front end?

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
No, I didn’t hit anyone else. So it’s all rear ended damage. What kind of damage was done to your front end?

Front end was pretty much toast. Anything in front of the engine was smashed, needed new hood/bumpers/lights/etc. Was praying for it to be totaled since it was going to need so much work. If not I would've got rid of it pretty quickly after. The cop wanted me to try and get it off the road since it was rush hour and it obviously wouldn't start. I was hit by a Wrangler so I took most of the damage. His ram guard/bumper looked like nothing happened.

When I saw it at the shop, they stripped the trunk and the rear floor was also jacked up so that could be a possibility for you too.

Edit: Forgot to add, the golf clubs were inches from being crushed but not a scratch! Was pretty funny putting them in the trunk of a police car so he could drive me to a spot where my ride could pick me up.

Welp, looks like my car is getting fixed! Estimate was only $4300 even with the shop getting under the cosmetic damages. Not sure if they will be addressing the squeak I’m hearing from the front end, but I’m going to make sure they do. I’ve read it may be something to do with exhaust brackets? Anybody have any idea?

Also, I’m going to be filing for a diminished value claim, so kind of no harm to the resale value, so long as the claim is accurate and there is no deflation in the value as time goes on.

I would take it to another collision center, but I honestly have no idea how they would be offering OEM parts. The collision center it’s at is affiliated with a VW dealership here, so I would assume it’s the best place to take it. I even called a VW certified collision center a state over (since there are none in Louisiana) and THEY even said that if insurance is paying for it that they will be calling the shots as far as part origin is concerned. The car also isn’t driveable with the hatch crushed in anyways, so if I did take it to Mississippi for a new estimate, I’d be driving for a few hours that way, and that doesn’t seem safe to me, nor do i have the time to drive 5 hours one way. So what is one to do but accept the repairs and go about my life hooning around [emoji56]

I’ll be dealing with this situation for a good while I assume, so if there are any questions in regard to the process, feel free to ask. Also advice helps if there are any tricks of the trade in these cases!