GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got my windows tinted. Is this reasonable to go back and complain about?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
About a week ago, I went and had the windows tinted on my GTI. Most of them look good, with some small imperfections here and there if you really look. But to me, the rear windshield just looks bad. I paid a premium to have it done where I did ($280), as it's considered a more premium place, and buddy had his MK6 tinted there over the summer and it came out looking fine. I don't expect anything to look 100% perfect, but I also don't know how picky one should be with these things. Some photos. Most of it is all along the very bottom of the rear windshield. Would it be unreasonable to ask for them to take it off and re-do it? I have no problem removing all the hatch trim to give them easier access to the glass.

IMG_20191115_142918.jpg

IMG_20191115_142957.jpg

IMG_20191115_143007.jpg

IMG_20191115_143014.jpg

IMG_20191115_143108.jpg

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
You can ask to see what they say about it, it does look a little bit bad but overall tint has a hard time sticking to that black pain around the window

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
yeah i think having the creases open up at the bottom like that means there was an issue with surface prep, or they didn't squeegee out enough water.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I'd take it back and see if they can maybe squeegee some more water out of it there is anything else they can do to clean it up.

The shop I use told me to give it a week or so and if any bubbles didn't work out to bring it back in.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah see if they can squeegee it out, considering the season it could take a few weeks for all the tiny bubbles to fully disappear. Also they may just tell you it’s because of the dot matrix and there’s nothing then can do about it (in reality the area you show could be done better though)

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The bubbles directly on the dots are going to happen. The excursions away from that aren't great though. May be able to squeegee them out yourself (microfiber over a credit card), if not then I'd see if they can help fix.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
That’s not great in my opinion, preparation is key! although it is difficult to tint around the heating elements and dotted perimeter without getting slight lift it should look a million times better than that, it’s very important to thoroughly de-grease those areas before application as they are slightly raised and collect dirt, the tint quite simply cannot stick to the grime and lifts off, as for the vertical fingers they will not disappear, if it were me I’d insist they re did it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I sure wouldn't accept it. It will most likely get worse over time.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Those are easy to fix if you get it back to them soon. They will just heat it down and run their finger/tool over it. Last thing you want is for them to remove the tint and potentially damage the defroster lines.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Like some have said before, the dot matrix will always be raised and the immediate area will be susceptible to bubbles too. But it does look pretty sloppy.
During the warmer seasons the tint takes about a week to cure. Being in colder weather can extend this process so if that is the case I would recommend waiting another week. But that's up to you, it never hurts to see what they can do for you before it finishes curing. My car had some bubbles that I absolutely hated when I picked it up and they pretty much all disappeared within a week.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Those are easy to fix if you get it back to them soon. They will just heat it down and run their finger/tool over it. Last thing you want is for them to remove the tint and potentially damage the defroster lines.
Yes, they can likely get the fingers out with heat but that’s what should have been done to start with! Without removal though they’ll never get it to adhere properly to the other areas, you pay a ‘ professional’ to avoid things like this, it looks like it’s been DIY’d, not great!

Daniel mk7

That is completely normal I had mine done 3 weeks ago and it looked like that done by global tint I rang them and they said to leave it and uuse the dimmister occasionally I have followed there instructions and it is dissapering slowly. If its not satisfactory I have an lifetime warranty with them so they will come out to rectify the problem to be honest there a great company. Its the cold weather that's why its taking so long to settle just give it time and like others have said it's a pain to get it to stick to rear window where the demister dots are.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Hello, chiming in now, if they windows are still messed up 100% go back and complain. It usually takes a few days to settle and since its over 1 week, if its not looking perfect by now, get your money back or they fix it.