GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got in a wreck on a Monday - Will it be totaled (19 R) ?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Main thing the OP is ok, one (of many) reasons we have Golfs is we know they will protect us if it comes to that. Reckon a 'write off' will depend on whether the main structure is sufficiently damaged, seems the floor & wheel mounts took the big hit, hope it gets sorted out asap....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No attorney friends, but seems like this is best route since I'd rather they not try to fix the car at this stage and its a fair #. I'd love to pick up another R, but as others have mentioned, hard to find them right now.

I'd pickup a Veloster N Spec PP, if you can take how it looks, if you can't find an R.

FactoryR

Ready to race!
I'd pickup a Veloster N Spec PP, if you can take how it looks, if you can't find an R.

I cant bring myself to buy a Veloster. Just not my style. Leaning towards just getting an inexpensive SUV for the next 6 months or so and waiting to see the new MK8's and 400z which is also tempting given I've driven a few z's prior.

greenmtn12

As long as the settlement is satisfactory go first party (your company) for ease and speed.
Inter-company arbitration is required and your company will recoup all charges-rental car, storage , etc., along with total loss amount. There will be an incident in your driving history but it will be a non chargeable event.
If you feel that they are lowballing the total loss settlement there are company's that specialize in that for a fee.
help yourself by knowing approximately the correct amount thru valuation sites like NADA.com or similar
good luck with the claim and finding another car. think rs3....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I cant bring myself to buy a Veloster. Just not my style. Leaning towards just getting an inexpensive SUV for the next 6 months or so and waiting to see the new MK8's and 400z which is also tempting given I've driven a few z's prior.

I hear you you, I couldn't either, but I wish I'd been able to pull the trigger. Dynamically, it's a fantastic car, but it's just so ugly and stupid in every other way.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you file the claim it will go against your accident claim history even if you aren't at fault. The CLUE report lasts for five years, have their insurance company handle it.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If you file the claim it will go against your accident claim history even if you aren't at fault. The CLUE report lasts for five years, have their insurance company handle it.

Depends. If a police report shows that their insured is not at-fault and need to file a claim due to the other insurance company not responding, then that goes under Uninsured/Underinsured coverage. The insurance company will pay out and attempt to recover the payout from the at-fault's insurance company and sue them if needed.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was in an accident where the other party refused to take the calls from their own insurance company.

I just reversed course and used my own insurance instead. No rate change for me despite GEICO paying out huge. Believe me, if the insurance company pays out 1 nickel they don't owe they'll track down the responsible party and get that cash.

Getting hit by an uninsured motorist is a horse of a different color, obviously.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
We filed on our policy with USAA when a woman talking on her cell turned left into the rear of my wife's car. Didn't go against our insurance, rates didn't increase, USAA got the money from her insurance. Not my problem. That's why I pay them.

Last edited:

FactoryR

Ready to race!
I appreciate all the feedback guys. Strongly looking to wait for the next gen R but time will tell. I've only driven 2 cars since 2015 and both have been R's so highly likely I'll be back, just gonna have to wait a while.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I mean, if he can't find an R, go for a GTI, not a Veloster.
I just can't see buying a Mk7.5 right now. Think what you will about the face of the Mk8, but buying a last year of any model is usually a bad financial decision, unless it's just a questionable replacement, like the 718.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I just can't see buying a Mk7.5 right now. Think what you will about the face of the Mk8, but buying a last year of any model is usually a bad financial decision, unless it's just a questionable replacement, like the 718.
And buying first year of a new generation is also terrible.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
And buying first year of a new generation is also terrible.
I've got #83 (if I remember right) of the 2015 Mk7 R's brought into the US. Aside from a bad cam timing adjuster and a leaky rear window washer fluid nozzle, which were repaired quickly under warranty, it's been amazingly trouble free. If you're in the US or Canada, you never get a crack at the first year of a new generation of VW's, as the rest of the world gets them at least a year before we do.