GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got in a wreck on a Monday - Will it be totaled (19 R) ?

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I truly hope they total it and let you “start over”. A very similar thing happened to me back in January, 4 days after I bought my R. They decided to bring it up to 80% total value and pay the $24,588 To fix it, plus $4,000 in rental, and a diminished value claim of $3,800 in order for me to keep it.

I purchased the R for $28,700 and they paid out over $31,000 for me to not total it.

keep us posted man and glad youre ok!

FactoryR

Ready to race!
@60mph travelling at 88ft/s you didn't notice that other car already in a turn? The precision of where the intial contact was made would indicate that the supposed other vehicle, was already committed in a turn.
Stranger things have happened....

Strange things do happen, but this is just the case of a horrible driver and it wasn't me.

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Likely totaled, then 2 weeks after Copart auctions it off, it reappears on Samcrac's YouTube channel, getting "fixed" by some buddy of his for $600. Yikes.

I was actually going to suggest backyardboyz lol

Navi

Autocross Champion
@60mph travelling at 88ft/s you didn't notice that other car already in a turn? The precision of where the intial contact was made would indicate that the supposed other vehicle, was already committed in a turn.
Stranger things have happened....

why are you acting so hollywood

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I know it is not the same but just for reference...
My 2012 GTI with a little over 40k on the clock had a similar impact in may of 2015.
They initially started to repair it, but then after cutting it up decided that they were not going to fix it, so it ended up totaled.

Aside from the damage you see, all driver side side airbags went off.
Like others have said, once you see some dents on or around the c-pillar, there is a good chance there is some underlying damage.
But with how new (and more valuable) your car is...you MAY be in for a fight.
Hits like these can a lot of the time go either way, but I believe more often than not end up as a total loss.
Start checking for values of similar cars to yours just in case, and be prepared to go after diminished value if it comes to that.

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Update: My insurance is recommending a total at near 35k since on top of structural damage, it likely has/will have water damage as well from the storm. Is there any harm in me filing through my insurance company, versus waiting for the other insurer to accept liability and filing through them? I dont want them to jack up my insurance for an accident I didn't cause. Just tryin to figure out the correct path to take. What would you do?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Used car market is hot. make sure they fairly compensate you.
Also unfortunate that you find yourself in a market where the R is out of production, even if there's not a financial impact, it still makes finding a new replacement a challenge.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Also unfortunate that you find yourself in a market where the R is out of production, even if there's not a financial impact, it still makes finding a new replacement a challenge.

But it also means what he had was valuable. If the cards are played right, they may pay out more than the purchase price of the vehicle.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Update: My insurance is recommending a total at near 35k since on top of structural damage, it likely has/will have water damage as well from the storm. Is there any harm in me filing through my insurance company, versus waiting for the other insurer to accept liability and filing through them? I dont want them to jack up my insurance for an accident I didn't cause. Just tryin to figure out the correct path to take. What would you do?

Check with your insurance agent about the advantages/disadvantages of your filing a claim. If you aren't at fault, your insurance company will recoup everything paid out to you through a prcoess called subrogation (essentially an agreed transfer of funds between the two insurance companies) without too many negative ramifications. Because of their guarantee of reasonable reimbursement, your insurance company will just write you a check ASAP. It might not be quite as speedy, waiting for the other driver's insurance company to make good with you, as you have no ongoing business relationship with them. On occaision, disputes about the damage amount can go on for a painfully long time, and they know it, using speed as a barganing chip in the agreed upon settlement ("if you go with our low-ball estimate of your damage, we'll write you a check today, but if you want more than that, well. . ."). Do you have any friends who are litigation attorneys who you can talk to about this?

Last edited:

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Check with your insurance agent about the advantages/disadvantages of your filing a claim. If you aren't at fault, your insurance company will recoup everything paid out to you through a prcoess called subrogation--essentially an agreed transfer of funds between the two insurance companies. Because of that, they will just write you a check ASAP. It might not be quite as speedy, waiting for the other driver's insurance company to make good with you, as you have no ongoing business relationship with them. Do you have any friends who are litigation attorneys who you can talk to about this?

No attorney friends, but seems like this is best route since I'd rather they not try to fix the car at this stage and its a fair #. I'd love to pick up another R, but as others have mentioned, hard to find them right now.