GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a quote of 1500$ for installing Lowering springs.....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
^ SO this. Coilovers are still what I'm eyeing.

I'm so sick of my OEM suspension.....on a gentle curve with a bump, I've bottomed out and slammed/scraped my front left bumper multiple times due to it being so soft......can't stand it (on powhite going north across the James, tigeo)

AHAHAHAHAHAH - yeah, most of the roads here are fine, but some not so much. I'm looking forward to my H&R springs after Christmas.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
AHAHAHAHAHAH - yeah, most of the roads here are fine, but some not so much. I'm looking forward to my H&R springs after Christmas.

that and one other place......curve and dip must be exactly the same. Can't wait for coilovers....sheesh

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
My GTI is my first brand new car with a warranty. I have installed lowering springs and coilovers in maybe a dozen cars, but this car being new has me a little intimidated. The dealer quoted me $831.00 for installation of DG Springs with an alignment. I was expecting half that much. Mehh.. I guess I'll suck it up and do it myself.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My GTI is my first brand new car with a warranty. I have installed lowering springs and coilovers in maybe a dozen cars, but this car being new has me a little intimidated. The dealer quoted me $831.00 for installation of DG Springs with an alignment. I was expecting half that much. Mehh.. I guess I'll suck it up and do it myself.
That's about dead-nuts on what my shop quoted me and a little under what my dealer quoted me...it's what it is and must just be the book rate. I want to say the labor rate is likely at least $125/hour. I was surprised at the folks in these threads that have said ~$300...that seems like a loser for the shop!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Lot of people are willing to pay lots for some "premium" service. If that gives you piece of mind...nothing wrong with that.

If you want to save some money...get on a local Facebook VW group and I bet you'll find a well known local that will install your suspension just as good as the shops that charge double or triple of what he will charge.

695232269@qq.com

Lot of people are willing to pay lots for some "premium" service. If that gives you piece of mind...nothing wrong with that.

If you want to save some money...get on a local Facebook VW group and I bet you'll find a well known local that will install your suspension just as good as the shops that charge double or triple of what he will charge.
Sounds like a good idea, will give it a try!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
$300-$400 is very reasonable for a spring install. <-- I did this myself but if oyu don't already have the tools or garage then pay to have this done.
$100 for a dogbone install seems high considering this can be done with minimal tools and experience. But you are paying the employee, shop tools, shop rent etc.

If you plan on modding your cars and future cars, just buy tools and do it yourself. You learn alot and will acquire lots of tools over your lifetime.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
$300-$400 is very reasonable for a spring install. <-- I did this myself but if oyu don't already have the tools or garage then pay to have this done.
$100 for a dogbone install seems high considering this can be done with minimal tools and experience. But you are paying the employee, shop tools, shop rent etc.

If you plan on modding your cars and future cars, just buy tools and do it yourself. You learn alot and will acquire lots of tools over your lifetime.
2nd this, Honestly, for a mechanic 100$ to put in a dogbone is kinda ridiculous, I guess its more involved if they do the top part, I only have the lower half of 034 dogbone, it was (put car on ramps, loosen bolt, put dogbone on, intersert bolt, tighten to ft-lb spec. took all of 1hr since it was ramps and watching a youtube video, but a mechanic with a lift could do this in like 20 minutes, but honestly its the shop rate and the mechanic has to go home and feed their family too so no hard feelings for high prices.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You also have to remember, a dogbone insert install doesn't have a book rate to reference. We all know how easy it is but do you think a shop who probably hasn't done a ton of these knows? And what if the bolt was seized and had to be heated out? What if the bolt was brought in stripped? It's $100....if you can't do it yourself that's the "I'll take care of it for you" tax. I would bill it at an hour of labor too.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
You also have to remember, a dogbone insert install doesn't have a book rate to reference. We all know how easy it is but do you think a shop who probably hasn't done a ton of these knows? And what if the bolt was seized and had to be heated out? What if the bolt was brought in stripped? It's $100....if you can't do it yourself that's the "I'll take care of it for you" tax. I would bill it at an hour of labor too.
what if it comes in with no bolt
Image result for shia labeouf meme magic

Attachments

• 1576079229718.jpeg
    1576079229718.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 65

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Find the least expensive shop that you'd trust with it and find out how much they charge. Then instead of paying them, use the money to buy everything you need to do it yourself and do that. That's how you build a workshop - with money you would have otherwise given to others. Eventually you'll have everything you'll need for almost any job.