GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I was also told they were just going to give me a new car last week (after all the hassle and then them crashing into it), got to the dealership 30 mins later and was told to suck one and pay for the repair.

Not that it's relevant to the turbo failure, but here's a video of them damaging my car for you all to enjoy. Mods, please feel free to have me remove if this is not relevant.

Wait, what?
They're 100% liable for the damage.

How'd you get the video btw?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Gprro

I've seen some newer IS38s have the IS20 wastegate. I bet that's why they are having issues because the IS38 WG is super easy to set. Are they charging you for all this turbo swapping and actuator setting? I sure hope not.

Was this an error, or some design change? What’s the chances of getting an Is20 WG on a May or June build 2019 mk7.5.?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This has to be one of the worst/cheapest dealerships around.

Especially considering this is over an R. I feel like they usually give R owners more consideration when it comes to warranty joy.

At this point considering they've had the car for so long might this not become a lemon?

maartrack

Car(s)
2016 GTI PP
Hey guys I'm just looking to add some information and maybe gather some more information.

I recently picked up a 2016 GTI that started throwing P00AF00 at 114000kms. Luckily my car had a cpo warranty. The dealer diagnosed it as sticky wastegate.

The dealer has changed the turbo but they have used this turbo 06k145874mx which is either so new of a revision no one has used it on a GTI or its the wrong turbo, which I guess is my question. It's listed as being for an atlas or an a3.

They didn't tell me what the part number was for the removed turbo but it was a Sept 15 built car.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Hey guys I'm just looking to add some information and maybe gather some more information.

I recently picked up a 2016 GTI that started throwing P00AF00 at 114000kms. Luckily my car had a cpo warranty. The dealer diagnosed it as sticky wastegate.

The dealer has changed the turbo but they have used this turbo 06k145874mx which is either so new of a revision no one has used it on a GTI or its the wrong turbo, which I guess is my question. It's listed as being for an atlas or an a3.

They didn't tell me what the part number was for the removed turbo but it was a Sept 15 built car.
Its an IS20, just a pretty new revision.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

It's a new revision of the 06K145874M

If your 2016 had it's original turbo, it was a 06K145874L (which was replaced by the aforementioned turbo)

Arronleeds

Passed Driver's Ed
could do with some more opinions on something guys, i have a hybrid is38, i removed it in feb to be inspected by the manufacturer, they put it on the balancing machine and it came back fine (they even balanced it a little better) however... now if i spin the compressor wheel by hand you can clearly hear and see it scraping the housing, but only in one corner. there is no in and out play at all, the shaft is solid, but surely it shouldnt be able to touch the housing regardless.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
could do with some more opinions on something guys, i have a hybrid is38, i removed it in feb to be inspected by the manufacturer, they put it on the balancing machine and it came back fine (they even balanced it a little better) however... now if i spin the compressor wheel by hand you can clearly hear and see it scraping the housing, but only in one corner. there is no in and out play at all, the shaft is solid, but surely it shouldnt be able to touch the housing regardless.

About 3/4s through the vid I can see the whole shaft/impeller moving with some wiggle play... that’s def not good to run and spin a full speed as it’s going to chew up some bits any second.

I you run it yet?

Edit: it’s wiggling at 0:20 to 0:23 in the vid

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I was also told they were just going to give me a new car last week (after all the hassle and then them crashing into it), got to the dealership 30 mins later and was told to suck one and pay for the repair.
It's time for you to go above them my man. Your next immediate step should be VW of America with a full explanation + dates of this stuff happening. If that doesn't gain traction, get a lawyer. Actually, just go ahead and get a lawyer since they are threatening you with a lien, fuck these guys and their social-engineering op. They want you to give up, don't. As soon as the authority is above them, they'll bend over. They know any reasonable judge will castrate them for behaving this way.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
No warranty on the Stage 1 tune. APR didn't want any part of it, VW denied coverage. Understandable, but sucks given that I really didn't have the car long, didn't drive it hard, treated it well etc. I do feel extremely done-over by the dealer.

Oh believe me, I have. This dealer straight up DOES NOT CARE. They've told me repeatedly to pay or they're putting a mechanic's lien on my car. They still haven't fixed it, though.

Not that it's relevant to the turbo failure, but here's a video of them damaging my car for you all to enjoy. Mods, please feel free to have me remove if this is not relevant.
Lol, so they are having you pay for the repairs, and then they crashed into your bumper. Just ask for a new car. I hate being litigious but I would be thinking of getting a lawyer involved.