GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good start for Stock upgrade

CSI7

Car(s)
2017 GTI SPORT
Hey all

Just got a 2017 GTI Sport with 32 k on it. I was thinking of doing a stage 1 tune then add on the mods as I go thru out the year. Whats your recommendations ?? Was thinking the Unitronics stage 1 as this can be done with no upgrades.

SAM

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
before you pull the trigger on anything, make sure you spend a couple weeks reading and learning.

alot will depend on 1. how deep are your pockets 2. how mechanically inclined you are and 3. what your expectations of your car will be. knowing those first, will dictate what options you have out there.

with that said, welcome to the forum

enjoy your stay =)

-cory jo!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Would not recommend Unitronic. It was a fine choice years ago, but there are better options on the market today. I’d look at APR if you have no plans to go past stage one or Cobb AP with a tune from EQT or SneakyTuned.

Also, intercooler.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
before you pull the trigger on anything, make sure you spend a couple weeks reading and learning.

alot will depend on 1. how deep are your pockets 2. how mechanically inclined you are and 3. what your expectations of your car will be. knowing those first, will dictate what options you have out there.

enjoy your stay =)

-cory jo!
The bolded part is good advice for any new hobby or venture you take up. It could save you a bunch of money at the very least.

CSI7

Car(s)
2017 GTI SPORT

enjoy your stay =)

-cory jo!
Sorry i should have been more specific. I will not go past stage one. Should i do any mods before tuning or should i tune and add mods as I go ?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
it has the sport 18 rims. What is a good tire in your opinion for those cars.
If you’re in MA and only want to use one set, an UHP All season like the MPSAS4 or Conti DSW06 Plus are popular choices.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Sorry i should have been more specific. I will not go past stage one. Should i do any mods before tuning or should i tune and add mods as I go ?
There's no compelling reason to do other modifications before a stage 1 tune. The tune is by far the most significant simple "bolt-on" modification for bumping up power and other things you do related to the engine will be unnoticeable unless you start pushing the car in a manner that will also increase your chance of receiving a traffic ticket.

Unitronic and APR both offer satisfaction guarantees so that you can try their software to make sure it does what you want.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A lot of people say they won't go beyond a certain stage until they get there and want more. Power can be addictive.

I agree with the others get an IC first. Then research the tunes and take your time to learn.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
When it gets over 75*F, you’ll notice a difference with an upgraded intercooler even on the stock tune. I’m living that right now and am shocked at the difference. Stock IC seriously sucks.

IMO, based on my limited experience, you’re not getting the full enjoyment of any tune without an upgraded IC. Good bang for the buck.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nothing wrong with Unitronic, APR, or the other OTS tunes. Sounds like stage 1 is as far as you want to go - flash and drive. Any of the other hardware while nice to have will not likely do much for you with the modest power increase and your likely use. That money can go to other things like tires/brakes/suspension/other. The comments above are good telling you to spend some time reading etc. - all the info for your questions is here. The Cobb AP tuners and AP itself are a nice way to go and many will tell you to get an OTS EQT tune which is another great option but again, nothing wrong with the others mentioned above beyond the fact you can't sell them when you get rid of the car which may or may not matter to you. AP also allows logging but on a stage 1...just flash and drive/don't obsess about it like many here do. I know so many folks that are perfectly happy on Unitronic/APR OTS tunes on these cars.