GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good centering rings

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
DELETE
Correct. No vibrations at all when the stock wheels are put back on.

Update. Ride home this afternoon. No changes. Still very faint pulse or vibrations 70+. Turning the wheel makes no difference, braking makes no difference. Unless of course you drop below 70. It’s get worse above 70 but not exponentially so. Not feeling it in the wheel at all only in the seat. And rotating the wheels amongst the corners makes zero difference.

Centering rings are plastic and fit super tightly. The Konig ones were mega loose and these Amazon ones fit tightly to both the wheel and hub
So you don't get vibes on oem wheels? Sounds like the rim/s is/are bent.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
So you don't get vibes on oem wheels? Sounds like the rim/s is/are bent.
In fact the oems are 100% bent. Two of them even. I asked tire discounters to check the konigs and they didn’t see anything!

Makes zero sense!

Maybe it’s the brakes dragging? The rears definitely have a warp. I could hear it when I took everything off last night and spun them. But it’s not enough that I feel it in the pedal.

Maybe a bearing is going bad? 1000~ a corner and 5+ offset would be better at showing that than I could I guess .

My job literally is troubleshooting and I’m lost on this one. I really don’t know what to do next

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Possibly tire warping/wearing uneven. I have had that too. I had 3 shops check my wheels, none of them found a bend. I went back home, jacked up car and made a make-shift jig to help me see if wheel spinning true or not. The last wheel I checked was passenger rear, and when I spun it, it touched the jig. About a 2mm bend in the lip and about 1/4 inch long. Literally invisible to the naked eye without an aide. Bought replacement wheel, vibration gone.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
The tires aren’t in “great shape” I’ve done a few auto cross events with them. But that just means the shoulders are a bit worse off than the might otherwise be.
I suppose I could use the rear hubs to free spin the wheels and find out

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I've ordered a set of aluminum rings. Maybe I got two bad sets?
Anyways it's cheap enough to try. I'm not super pumped on running aluminum ones, since I'm changing out frequently during the summers for autox days. Maybe the new plastic ones I got aren't perfectly concentric or flat. I could have taken them out to look but I'm getting tired of taking my wheels off honestly.
If that's not it, I'll be calling Tire Discounter over the weekend to see about work warranty/guarantees/road force balance, beyond that I think I might be looking at moving up the brake replacement.
Maybe I'll have time this weekend to pull it all back apart and have another look for play/failure somewhere again then pop on the aluminum rings

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I was planning to do that and I saw someone had mentioned filing out a small notch for a screwdriver. But I think I'll try the anti-seize first and just try them out.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Jacked it up again last night to have a look through suspension components and didn't notice much.
I put the front of the car on jacks and threw it in drive to let the wheels spin. I had a helper, wheels were blocked. I'm crazy, not super dumb...usually.
Turns out I'm getting a popping from the front left. I assume the axel/cv joint is degrading. I don't notice this while driving. Anyways that's a whole other thing.

I don't see excessive play anywhere, and I still don't believe the bearings are bad. The only noise I get is from the rear brake pads dragging. Which I feel like is normal?
new rings this weekend and possibly road force balance soon. It's gotta be something with the tires.

EDIT:
Tire Discounters will do a roadforce balance but it might run me the cost of labor if they end up having to actually adjust one or more, he said they would try to work with be since I did the balance there.
The guy mentioned they see this a lot with VWs, he mentioned to check the paint/finish on the lug seat and wheel. I guess sometimes the finish from the factory will ball up and cause an issue with how the thing aligns
He also mentioned that they have significantly better luck with stud converted hubs.

Thoughts on either of these things?

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Jacked it up again last night to have a look through suspension components and didn't notice much.
I put the front of the car on jacks and threw it in drive to let the wheels spin. I had a helper, wheels were blocked. I'm crazy, not super dumb...usually.
Turns out I'm getting a popping from the front left. I assume the axel/cv joint is degrading. I don't notice this while driving. Anyways that's a whole other thing.

I don't see excessive play anywhere, and I still don't believe the bearings are bad. The only noise I get is from the rear brake pads dragging. Which I feel like is normal?
new rings this weekend and possibly road force balance soon. It's gotta be something with the tires
Might just be a small bubble in the tread area? I had a Pilot AS4 do that, and it was just enough to where you couldn't see it, but you could feel it. Annoying...

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Might just be a small bubble in the tread area? I had a Pilot AS4 do that, and it was just enough to where you couldn't see it, but you could feel it. Annoying...
I believe I have entered the realm of "eye balling it isn't good enough". I think the next step is a road force balance and work from there. I'm not super keen on buying a whole kit to convert to studs unless that's going to be a massive game changer. Besides I'd have to buy the kit and the other set of nuts then too since I am switching back and fourth.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I believe I have entered the realm of "eye balling it isn't good enough". I think the next step is a road force balance and work from there. I'm not super keen on buying a whole kit to convert to studs unless that's going to be a massive game changer. Besides I'd have to buy the kit and the other set of nuts then too since I am switching back and fourth.
Get the studs, Im mad at myself for not doing it sooner. I have a set of unopened Rays 32 Dura nuts that I can donate to your cause.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
When you had the car up and let the wheels spin was the suspension on full droop ? Did you have the stands on the frame or the control arms? Cause the axle could just been making that noise cause you were at full droop.
Full droop. Which is partially why I'm not worried about it. I suppose I could pull the boot and have a look, but I don't notice and issue under normal circumstances

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
FCP and ecs have a few different stud kits. I'm not bent on using either company. What's a good conversion kit?

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
so far it would seem that the metal rings have resolved the issue. They fit well but not tighter than the plastic ones. Some maybe it was a concentric issue. Nonidea. I’ll swap back to autox on Wednesday. And then back after so we’ll see. But it feels solid finally