GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfWang’s Green Alltrack

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hey everyone! I’ve been on the GolfMK6 and GolfMK7 forums since 2012, and in that time have owned a manual 2012 MK6 GTI, a manual 2015 MK7 GTI, a DSG 2015 MK7 GTI, and now a manual 2019 Alltrack. I actually wasn’t really on the forums for the last year or so since the site merger due to account access issues, so I am excited to be back both as a member of the community, as well as an owner of a new Alltrack!

So let’s get to the details:

As you can see from my previous cars owned, I like manuals. The day I bought my last, 2015 DSG GTI, I immediately regretted it. So I knew my next car had to be manual.

I’m also young and have accrued upwards of 20 points on my license in the 10 years I’ve had it due to my antics behind the wheel of a GTI. I knew that needed to change. I’m an adult now and I don’t have time for getting pulled over. So I knew I needed a slower car.

I also love VW Wagons, and I’m sick of FWD. and I go camping and do outdoorsy things, and in the last year, I met a girl who I really like, and she has a big dog.

Also Green is my favorite color, and Great Falls Green is one of my favorite colors I’ve ever seen on a car.

so all signs pointed towards the Alltrack, the coolest vehicle VW has brought to American shores since the MK5 R32.

add in coronavirus circumstances (student loans on hold, 6 months no payments + 6 years 0% financing for VWs),, and I had to take the opportunity to get into the “adult car of my dreams” (compared to the GTI, which I had been dreaming of owning since Fast and the Furious came out when I was 7. I always loved the smart kid with the MK3 GTI)

so here she is!
A43112A0-0111-4785-8FA2-40A0EDD13D8D.jpeg
3D78EF17-8A6A-4483-879B-C9EC9B4A790B.jpeg
F74DC241-275C-4C7A-BBAA-17D8C62C6F09.jpeg
64E5D95D-3E59-4EE2-8F64-C924CAE5C446.jpeg

My gf’s brother is a media/editor major with a nice camera. I need to take some good pics after a fresh wash.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:
1. PPF/Ceramic Coat/Ceramic Tints, 30F/20R
2. Bumper plugs for the 3 horribly mangled holes in my front bumper from the dealer :(
4. Installed Helix sub upgrade, swapped over from the GTI. I didn’t even code it, as the GTI and Golf Wagon have the same speakers in the same locations, so I can’t imagine the EQ being any different. It sounds great.

things I have waiting to be installed:

1. Trans/Driveline: ECS Bleeder block, BMS Clutch stop, BFI S1 mounts, APR pendulum bar, APR lower insert, and 034 Upper insert. Can’t wait to get these puppies installed
2. Suspension: Superpro rear endlinks + sway bar
3. 18x8 ET35 OZ Ultraleggeras in bronze. I believe I will sell these and instead opt for a set of 17x8 ET45 Neuspeed RSE-05’s wrapped in Continental DWS06 for my summer tires. I’ll likely sell my OEMs once I get the Neuspeeds and look for some OEM 17” VW wheels to throw my snow tires on.

Plans for the future:
1. When I bought my car, I had to choose between a white SEL manual with brown interior, or a Green SE manual with black interior. I chose the Green as green is my favorite color, and the SE still came with the LED lights and upgraded head unit. I swapped my Helix from my GTI so I’m not missing Fender. At that rate, the only thing my car is missing compared to an SEL is the seats. So I am on the lookout for either Marrakech Brown SEL seats, or Black SEL Seats that I may get re-upholstered depending on how cost prohibitive it is. Worst case scenario, I’d be okay with simply swapping my black SE seats for brown SE seats, as the color is what I’m going for more than anything. I’m 26, the base seats are plenty comfy for my young body lol.
2. Once my stock dampers start to really suck (I mean, they already feel like my GTI’s OEM shocks which had 90K on them), I’m getting Bilstein B6’s to go with OEM Golf R front springs and OEM Golf R Estate rear springs + Audi spring pads.
3. Once my warranty is up at 72K, I will likely be in my 30’s and at a point where I am comfortable making my car fast again. I will likely go Stage 2 IS20 with IC. Hopefully there is support from Cobb for the 1.8 ECU by then, as I really want to go with EQT.
4.Once I upgrade power, I have some unique plans. I am not simply throwing a new clutch in. I don’t love how tall the Gearing is on this car that is already underpowered to start. So I am thinking of looking for a MK7 Golf R manual trans for the short gearing, and when I get it installed I will also throw a Wavetrac and TT-RS clutch in. So when I’m done, I’ll have an R Estate sleeper in Alltrack’s clothes, that’ll do just as well on the track as on the highway.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That green looks much better in person. Really impressed and apprised when I saw it as on screen, didn't look great. I have to say that would have been a really tough choice as the SEL manual is almost a unicorn and they don't have the same lights AFAIK. Always search cars.com for that config, but really not willing to get another car payment for that change, no matter how appealing. But white vs green is an easy decision

Would like to see how the bronze wheels look on that green.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Impressions:

4-Motion AWD -
Having owned 5 FWD cars (08 Jetta, 11 Jetta, 12 GTI, 2 15 GTIs), I am SO in on AWD. I love the way the rear end of the car pushes through turns on-throttle. I really look forward to my trip to Vermont this winter with some winter tires on. It’ll be my first time ever driving a car with either winter tires OR AWD in the snow, so I am very excited.

6MT/Clutch -
I’m either a lot better at driving stick than I used to be, or this car has the smoothest gearbox I’ve owned yet. The shifter seems very well aligned from the factory, super smooth throws and engagements. The clutch is, well, pretty bleh. But we all know that. I’ve learned how to work around it in its stock form, and I’m okay with it especially since my Alltrack is no longer my “sports” car, but now my “Adult utility vehicle” as I like to call it.

Power -
It was weird going from a 3100 lb 300HP/TQ hatch to a 3500lb 170HP/184TQ wagon. One thing that surprised me more than anything is the power curve. My understanding of turbochargers is that small ones spool quick, but run out quick. Big ones spool late. But run out of breath wayyyy later (past 6K rpm). Well, coming from a 2.0/IS20 setup to a 1.8/IS12 setup, I figured full torque would be available closer to 2K RPM. That doesn’t seem to be true. It doesn’t really make any torque at all till 2500.

But yeah, big whoop. Small engine small turbo bigger car, it’s slower haha. It feels good above 3K RPM in 2nd and 3rd.

I will say, I’m LOVING putting <$2/gal 87 in my car and getting 28-35mpg. That’s better mileage than my DSG GTI, which required premium (I was tuned).

Driving Dynamics -
The suspension is much less sporty than I’m used to. The car has 2500 miles on it and it’s more floaty on the highway than my GTI was with 90K on the OEM dampers. This is bothering me a lot. It’s funny, I spent a lot of time on the Alltrack Owners Facebook group before getting my Alltrack, and people would talk about how it had the “sportiest” suspension they’d ever owned and I knew right there they weren’t performance people, lol. I do, however, love how the MQB platform feels around the turns, regardless of what suspension is hooked up to it. The chassis rotates pretty well.

One thing that’s been weird has been letting go of the gas, and the car doesn’t slow down much at all. I imagine that’s due to increased driveline mass/momentum from the Haldex, OEM tires (compared to previous car which had AS3+), and the manual gearbox (the DSG adds a lot of drivetrain lag/inefficiency). My last car had factory pads and rotors at 90K miles with at least another 30K worth of life left in em. I’m confident this car won’t see anything like that for brake life expectancy. Possibly a good thing, because I want to get organic pads for less brake dust on my Neuspeeds when I get them.

Looks -
I have never gotten so many compliments on a car of mine. Every time I go out, someone compliments my car. Women, men, construction workers, toll workers, cops, friends, family. I’ve never seen so many people go out of their way to compliment a car. And it’s strange to me - if people love it so much, why did the Alltrack tank so bad? I think my Green color choice has a lot to do with the double-takes I get.

I also like the body cladding and the aluminum accents on the Alltrack more than any other Golf variant. I can’t wait for Xmas to get my Thule turtle shell with a brushed aluminum top to go with the accents. It’ll be a permanent fixture on the car.

Also, Great Falls Green is easily one of the best colors available on the road today. With the PPF and ceramic coating, it keeps itself clean and shiny and looks SO good when I wash it.

Final notes -
I have never been so excited about a vehicle in my life. I have looked forward to getting an Alltrack since 2014/2015 when VW announced they were coming to American shores for the 2017MY. I would NOT have been able to afford it had COVID not hit, and all the financial incentives available because of it.

I care more about this car than I’ve ever cared about any material possession. Unlike the 5 cars I’ve owned in the last 10 years, I look forward to owning this car for 10 years. I feel myself developing near-paternal instincts for it. I don't let my girlfriend's dog in the back seats, and I don't let my girlfriend smoke in it (I used to let her smoke in my old car lol).

Cheers! I look forward to posting more as I turn this car into the image of perfection I have in mind.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
That green looks much better in person. Really impressed and apprised when I saw it as on screen, didn't look great. I have to say that would have been a really tough choice as the SEL manual is almost a unicorn and they don't have the same lights AFAIK. Always search cars.com for that config, but really not willing to get another car payment for that change, no matter how appealing. But white vs green is an easy decision

Would like to see how the bronze wheels look on that green.

I agree - the green doesn't translate to screens well. So much better in real life.

And yeah some SE models had the S model headlights, but my car is an SE with Appearance package, so it's basically similar to a "GTI SE with Experience Package," only thing it's missing from an SEL are Nav, Dual Zone climate, Fender, and the upgraded seats. I don't care at all about Nav or dual zone climate, and I swapped the Helix from my GTI over to my new Alltrack which is better than Fender so the seats are the only thing I'm missing.

I was under water on a car that was a dud from the day I bought it, and was continually showing more signs that it would be a big pain in the ass as it passed 100K miles.

As mentioned, my student loans being paused for 6 months + the incentives VW was doing for 6 months no payments + 6 years 0% interest were what made it possible for me to get out from underneath my GTI. My payments are still higher than they've ever been and for longer than they've ever been but I'm finally HAPPY with my car, and will actually own it until it's paid off. And I just love it lol. This car is going to see me through a lot of milestones (first house, first kid(s), etc)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Not really a “mod,” per se, but definitely an upgrade:

I got my first dog! Her daddy was a full German Shep, and her mommy was a pittie/ Rottweiler mix. Her name is Honey and she is my firstborn child🍯👶

Attachments

• 11C09590-7691-4689-BDF4-7FCD466EF0A9.jpeg
    11C09590-7691-4689-BDF4-7FCD466EF0A9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
  • F4E044E4-1CCD-4BDC-A7B5-DE6868038B2A.jpeg
    F4E044E4-1CCD-4BDC-A7B5-DE6868038B2A.jpeg
    994.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 102A533F-145E-45FA-9841-758EF4216C47.jpeg
    102A533F-145E-45FA-9841-758EF4216C47.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • 03CCAC96-6B78-455C-99EE-7211B91B5600.jpeg
    03CCAC96-6B78-455C-99EE-7211B91B5600.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 147
  • 59F97E54-F778-48DA-AE20-8FA84162E124.jpeg
    59F97E54-F778-48DA-AE20-8FA84162E124.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 136

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not really a “mod,” per se, but definitely an upgrade:

I got my first dog! Her daddy was a full German Shep, and her mommy was a pittie/ Rottweiler mix. Her name is Honey and she is my firstborn child🍯👶

Congrats on your firstborn. Just a puppy and already humping the center console. She must be having a gender identity crisis. 😂

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
No updates ever came, besides me selling the car this month for 7K more than I paid brand new in April 2020.

Sold the car, paid off a major debt, and got a promotion all in the matter of a few weeks.

Messaged This seller about buying his 2016 Touareg TDI Executive (final model year for TDI on Treg). It’s everything I’ve been looking for: Executive trim (Dynaudio sound important to me), TDI (120K mile warranty), 30K miles (70K remaining on factory powertrain, 4 years left), and Terracotta Brown interior.

It takes the perfect car for me to go white, but if this works out it’ll be my first white car. Also my first SUV. Excited is an understatement.

Attachments

• CDD2EB09-2DB3-4693-82CD-ACC212F62363.jpeg
    CDD2EB09-2DB3-4693-82CD-ACC212F62363.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 413FA3A6-E283-4F5B-AB8F-C9E394A4A704.jpeg
    413FA3A6-E283-4F5B-AB8F-C9E394A4A704.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 77
  • FC64CEA4-7434-4DF3-89D3-7FD4BFB46967.jpeg
    FC64CEA4-7434-4DF3-89D3-7FD4BFB46967.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 4F1E02EE-66AF-47E5-9996-CBE09AC2900E.jpeg
    4F1E02EE-66AF-47E5-9996-CBE09AC2900E.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75
  • CF8E7ED5-D761-46E4-81B2-4C4962591C1D.jpeg
    CF8E7ED5-D761-46E4-81B2-4C4962591C1D.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 718F6C89-03FA-4095-BBC5-40EED88CA589.jpeg
    718F6C89-03FA-4095-BBC5-40EED88CA589.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 5976B721-9902-48C4-9323-2FC1F0215810.jpeg
    5976B721-9902-48C4-9323-2FC1F0215810.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 83
  • CD0A18E2-6CB6-4084-AF21-C233DF7A0F25.jpeg
    CD0A18E2-6CB6-4084-AF21-C233DF7A0F25.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 85

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No updates ever came, besides me selling the car this month for 7K more than I paid brand new in April 2020.

Sold the car, paid off a major debt, and got a promotion all in the matter of a few weeks.

Messaged This seller about buying his 2016 Touareg TDI Executive (final model year for TDI on Treg). It’s everything I’ve been looking for: Executive trim (Dynaudio sound important to me), TDI (120K mile warranty), 30K miles (70K remaining on factory powertrain, 4 years left), and Terracotta Brown interior.

It takes the perfect car for me to go white, but if this works out it’ll be my first white car. Also my first SUV. Excited is an understatement.
Pretty soon it will be all SUV's and pickup trucks on the road.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Gtijake will line up a Boeing to see if it can actually tow it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Dog Dad Wagon and Golfwang were the same person...🤯

The Toureg is certainly one of the nicer looking SUVs, you'll probably want to tune it tho, so don't put too much value on its remaining warranty.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Dog Dad Wagon and Golfwang were the same person...🤯

The Toureg is certainly one of the nicer looking SUVs, you'll probably want to tune it tho, so don't put too much value on its remaining warranty.

we’ll see. People say the TDI fix tune on the 2.0 TDIs is gutless but I’ve been driving my gf’s 14 JSW TDI for 2 years and have never had a complaint. I love that car as-is. If the Treg is anything like it, I think I’ll be able to live w/o tuning.

Also, yeah I got a little fresh with Jim (I believe the C word was used) and got banned for it under my golf wang name lol.

Last edited: