GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golfs everyday.. with OT journal.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Took my Golf-R out for her final drive of the season this morning. Was perfect weather and the car just drove so well. I love my Golf-R. Filled her up with the usual Stabil360, psi up to 45, placed on Flatstoppers, and battery hooked up to her usual Battery Tender. Insurance also suspended; odo was a bit shy of 9k miles.

Cleaned her up real well, will do a quick wipe down of the interior next week and clean up the inner glass.

Will pull her out again next April. :)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Geez, I had to search where my thread went since I hadn't updated anything since last Fall. :rolleyes:

My Golf-R will be coming out of hibernation next week.. April 1. I will first do the brake fluid and oil changes before doing any weekend drives.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
So before anything I found a scuff I need to polish out from my Golf-R's hood.. It was from one of my 48" overhead LED light housing plastic cover falling onto the car during one of the severe snow storms a few months ago. :oops:

The ceiling apparently vibrated from the strong winds which appeared to cause the cover to fall off. I don't know why the builder did such a crappy job mounting the cover onto the housing.. it was just a matter of applying 2 strips of tape (clearbra) on the ends of the housing to keep the lens from shifting. :mad: It's just a loose friction fit.

The scratch is pretty significant, but I think majority of it will polish out. I am glad the cover itself did not shatter when it hit the car and concrete floor..

I am going to check the lamps over my STI and Supra as well next time I back them out of the garage.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I suppose I should update my thread from time to time. :unsure:

I have not done the polishing on the hood yet, but did finish the brake fluid and oil change, and been taking my Golf-R out for a nice drive on sunny weekends. I plan to take her out for a nice drive again tomorrow.

Just thinking out loud.. I know the current car buying market is bonkers so I do not plan on buying a car this year, but I want to start thinking about buying my last hobby ICE car. I usually keep cars I like for 10-12 years so the next hobby car I buy will probably be EV in 2030+.

I'm not really into expensive things so it does not necessarily need to be anything super nice. I do not plan on selling my current line up to get this car and what I learned from my GR Supra is that AT is not bad on a car with a nice exhaust note, but the near 500lb/ft of torque is just too much for street for me. Especially with RWD and early mornings when I take my cars out for my weekend drives, I have to deal with fish tailing or wheel spins, nanny kicking in and ends up I'm driving mild. So I want a 4 banger and ideally an AWD car if powerful.

My current candidates are new GR86 in white (MT), MX5 RF Club (MT) on the weak side, or the Mk8 Golf-R (DSG since I my Mk7 is MT) on the powerful side. Not interested in the MT variant of the GR Supra..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Corolla GR

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Kind of. No. Really ugly, but still looks like a blast to drive.
Agreed and I think it would be much better suited for me than the CivicR.. but I rather have a GR86 if from Toyota.

Since there no more STI available in the new gen, I think it just makes sense to get a GR86 if going sort of Subaru. And dress it up a bit like good old times.. Lowering springs, wheels, catback...keep it NA... and when I want to go fast, grab my existing cars..(?)

Family SUV EV's are going to be faster anyway.. more about enjoying the drive.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Before posting anything else, season ended a few weeks ago.. 🥱

Car did well again this year, really enjoyed driving her a lot. She's just a perfect mix of superb interior, audio, excellent driving dynamics, comfort, and good looks.

Next season I plan to find a good wireless CarPlay module and see if I want to start driving her as my daily driver. I am thinking about retiring my WRX and maybe getting a new GR86.

IMG_2022-9-17-115148.jpg