GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golfs everyday.. with OT journal.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
My clutch is fine. I don’t drive the car all that aggressively. Once in a while I will WOT but most of the time normal to spirited driving.

Thanks! :D

Thanks, not quite sure I want to go down the JB1/4 route yet due to clutch concerns, so that's good to hear. What made you go JB1 instead of JB4?

Here's a brief history where it all began for me with VW's. Late 2015 I injured my left leg, it wasn't bad at first, even bought a new fully loaded 16 STI thinking (hoping) the pain would go away, but started to worsen by early Summer. I only owned MT cars so decided to listen to the doctor (to allow the leg to rest and heal) and look for an AT car as I was not getting any younger.

Added a new 16 GTI Autobahn to my line up enjoyed the DSG as driving was effortless. Thought if I liked DSG enough, I'd get the Nissan GT-R I was looking at earlier. Installed JB1, Maxton Designs splitter, clearbra/FormulaOne Pinnacle tint, had a shop install VWR springs as I could not work on my car at the time, OZ wheels S04 tires, etc.

As my leg healed, I wanted an AWD MT version of my GTI so got the 17 Golf-R MT..Wow, immediately fell in love. Perfect car for me, subtle yet fast. Drove my GTI during the weekday, Golf-R and STI on the weekends. Thus Golfs everyday.

My leg has since healed completely and decided dual clutch is not for me (nor high torque FWD cars due to limited traction), so last summer sold the GTI and got a new 19 WRX Limited MT fully loaded.

My Subaru's run Cobb AccessPort and other minor mods. Contrary to what most people might believe, the WRX and STI are completely different cars. Only similarity is the skin. As soon as I figure out my parking situation, I'm going to add a new Miata (ND) to the mix.

If I'm reading this correctly, you have the R, STI and WRX? Nice collection. I was back and forth between a 18/19 STI or R. Ultimately, a local dealer had a R that they offered me under invoice, which made it an easy decision over the STI.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, not quite sure I want to go down the JB1/4 route yet due to clutch concerns, so that's good to hear. What made you go JB1 instead of JB4?

If I'm reading this correctly, you have the R, STI and WRX? Nice collection. I was back and forth between a 18/19 STI or R. Ultimately, a local dealer had a R that they offered me under invoice, which made it an easy decision over the STI.

Regarding the JB1, my first instinct was I wanted to get the Cobb AccessPort for my GTI and Golf-R from past great experience with their flashes on my Subaru's. But they weren't out yet for my cars so tried the JB1. Which turned out to be a great piggyback and I have had zero issues thus far.

To answer your question, I don't usually change maps on my cars, nor drive far enough to require different maps to match different atmospheric pressures or available gas types. I travel for work a lot so and when I'm home, I want to be home.. like within 100miles. :D I was aware Burger had recently released the JB4, but considering the above, I wanted a mature product that had been vetted by others. I've not had any regrets. It's a setup-once-and-forget install and I really like that. I don't have much time for myself so I like easy mods.

That's right, I currently own the 17 Golf-R, 16 STI, and 19 WRX. It's actually the budget I had for a new GT-R I was thinking seriously of buying as I was quite worried my MT days were coming to an end 2 yrs ago.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I'm old school and I loved cars from the day I can remember so I need to shift my own gears. My mom use to tell me while my brother and other kids slept with their stuffed animals, I slept with my toy cars and trucks as a toddler.

So ends up all the MT cars I like are economy sports cars.. something about its simplicity and rawness. I wanted to get a FocusRS too, but with my schedule I can't be chasing after warranty repairs on a car Ford discontinued and my local dealers have little to no knowledge about. The Civic Type-R never really caught on with me mainly due to the aesthetics, interior (as cheezy as the RS), and it being a high torque output FWD I already knew it will not do well in real world driving in the wet and cold.

My buddies at work have luxury cars and they aways laugh (not offensively) I keep driving these loud 'hashiriya' cars in my middle age. Yeah, I can't seem to grow up. :cool:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Regarding the JB1, my first instinct was I wanted to get the Cobb AccessPort for my GTI and Golf-R from past great experience with their flashes on my Subaru's. But they weren't out yet for my cars so tried the JB1. Which turned out to be a great piggyback and I have had zero issues thus far.

To answer your question, I don't usually change maps on my cars, nor drive far enough to require different maps to match different atmospheric pressures or available gas types. I travel for work a lot so and when I'm home, I want to be home.. like within 100miles. :D I was aware Burger had recently released the JB4, but considering the above, I wanted a mature product that had been vetted by others. I've not had any regrets. It's a setup-once-and-forget install and I really like that. I don't have much time for myself so I like easy mods.

Thanks, great feedback. I'm on the fence as to tuning my car, and if I do, I'd likely go the piggyback route. Having done the whole logging and tweaking in the past with a Accesport on my Legacy GT, it's not really a path I want to go down, so I lean JB1 and a set-it-and-forget-it mentality.

That's right, I currently own the 17 Golf-R, 16 STI, and 19 WRX. It's actually the budget I had for a new GT-R I was thinking seriously of buying as I was quite worried my MT days were coming to an end 2 yrs ago.

So you're basically hoarding MT economy/sports cars for the inevitable automatic only apocalypse. Awesome :cool:

I'm old school and I loved cars from the day I can remember so I need to shift my own gears. My mom use to tell me while my brother and other kids slept with their stuffed animals, I slept with my toy cars and trucks as a toddler.

So ends up all the MT cars I like are economy sports cars.. something about its simplicity and rawness. I wanted to get a FocusRS too, but with my schedule I can't be chasing after warranty repairs on a car Ford discontinued and my local dealers have little to no knowledge about. The Civic Type-R never really caught on with me mainly due to the aesthetics, interior (as cheezy as the RS), and it being a high torque output FWD I already knew it will not do well in real world driving in the wet and cold.

My buddies at work have luxury cars and they aways laugh (not offensively) I keep driving these loud 'hashiriya' cars in my middle age. Yeah, I can't seem to grow up. :cool:

Right there with ya. I'm old enough to get some odd looks with my modded manual transmission "sports sedans" from my fellow co-workers in their SUVs, trucks, and entry level luxury sedans. I laugh and tell them I'm very immature :)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, great feedback. I'm on the fence as to tuning my car, and if I do, I'd likely go the piggyback route. Having done the whole logging and tweaking in the past with a Accesport on my Legacy GT, it's not really a path I want to go down, so I lean JB1 and a set-it-and-forget-it mentality.

So you're basically hoarding MT economy/sports cars for the inevitable automatic only apocalypse. Awesome :cool:

Right there with ya. I'm old enough to get some odd looks with my modded manual transmission "sports sedans" from my fellow co-workers in their SUVs, trucks, and entry level luxury sedans. I laugh and tell them I'm very immature :)

Hey no problem. On my AP's for my Subaru's I only run their OTC maps so it's also a set-it-and-forget-it setup. It's been great, no issues at all running their 93 octane maps as well.

Yeah, I'm not into showing off material things. I'm not that good looking to begin with, I rather just keep myself in the background and enjoy the toys I really love..

Speaking of new toys, I got done installing a set of STI side diffusers on my WRX with my son yesterday, should be getting the Eurocode front tower bar tomorrow. Little OT, but I got this new Casio MTG G-Shock watch and the resin band smells like new tires. I love the smell of new tires. Been sniffing it all day. LOL ;)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

Very clean install. I like that it is all hidden away.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
The bar rubbed the plastic water/rain drain channel in the engine bay on the passenger side so after installing the bar, pryed up the rain drain thingie from under the bar and heat gunned it real good for it to maintain its shape while getting pinched between the bar and the firewall.

I don’t expect this to be an issue as there is no gap under the windshield now.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hey no problem. On my AP's for my Subaru's I only run their OTC maps so it's also a set-it-and-forget-it setup. It's been great, no issues at all running their 93 octane maps as well.

Yeah, I'm not into showing off material things. I'm not that good looking to begin with, I rather just keep myself in the background and enjoy the toys I really love..

Speaking of new toys, I got done installing a set of STI side diffusers on my WRX with my son yesterday, should be getting the Eurocode front tower bar tomorrow. Little OT, but I got this new Casio MTG G-Shock watch and the resin band smells like new tires. I love the smell of new tires. Been sniffing it all day. LOL ;)
I do wonder how old you are :))

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
anotero- Are you referring to this piece here? If so, the bar was pushing down on it so you see that gap between that piece and the bottom of the windshield.

After connecting the bar, I pryed up on that piece and used a heat gun to shape it into place while pinched between the firewall and bar so that there is no gap under the windshield. I should’ve taken another picture after I did this..

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
So it's been over 10 days since the install and no, I have not test driven the Golf-R with the new bar. The car will not come out of hibernation until March so will be sitting in my garage for another 6 weeks.

In the mean time, I was able to source another pair of new STI OEM side diffusers for super cheap so will be installing that on my STI along with OEM rear spats soon. The store said the part is brand new and never installed, but lost the mounting hardware so gave it to me for $200 off (nearly $300 off MSRP). I just did the install recently on my WRX.. it's only well nuts, washers, 4 plastic rivets and screws..which was easily sourced from McMaster Carr and Amazon for less than $35 total with a bunch of spares I can use on other projects.

Besides that, I also got a new RC chassis (2 units + spares) recently as that is another hobby of mine during off season. I have a little track in the basement. :cool:

http://www.rcmart.com/execute-mini-touring-p-79107.html?cPath=420_1204

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Haven't driven my Golf-R since early November, but have been checking the engine bay for any mice and checked tire pressure today using a new tire pressure gauge I got by Longacre Racing. Measured 43.9psi at 38F in my garage.

Hope the next time I check pressure (March) is to release air out and get her ready to go driving again. Can't wait for Spring.

Over the weekend I installed a set of OEM side diffusers and rear spats on my STI. Looks great.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I washed my daily driver this morning and she was filthy. Last time I got to wash was back in late December before the super cold unseasonable weather hit our area.

I am SO GLAD I hibernated my Golf-R this winter as my daily driver was a huge mess. I had to wash my white car twice and still have stains embedded in the clear which I will need to claybar in the Spring.

I don't have any Golf-R news but I am considering getting the Cobb AP Stage1+ this Spring to swap out the JB1. I want the ability to monitor/log how she's doing with the DAM and all as I we get up to 10% ethanol in our fuel and not certain how she's doing. I might also swap the exhaust to run Borla catback just for the sound.

Been working on my Subaru's lately mostly (STI/WRX). Speaking of Subaru's I'm going to most-likely retire a pos beater my wife and I share with a new Subaru Forester Sport next month. Something cheap ($30K otd?) with Eyesight, Harman stereo, roomy cargo.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Installed the small gloss black MaxtonD roof spoiler lip this morning. It's the one that is flat all the way across kind of like a gurney flap and no recessed center area. I don't have any good pictures.

I think the lip would look better on a darker colored car as the fitment isn't very good and my car is white. But the small roof spoiler bothered me more so I went ahead and mounted it anyways. I'm sure by the time I'm ready to take her out driving again I'll forget about the fitment issues..

Sat in my Golf-R's cockpit for a few minutes reminding myself how nice the interior is on this car. So much in love.

So this spring I'm going to do the Cobb AP Stage1+ map running my X34 CF intake (will log to make sure AFR is sound) and maybe swap out the catback for more tone with the Borla.

My other cars are so loud my Golf-R is just a bit too quiet to be one of my fun cars even though she is my GT car for relaxing drives.