GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golfare’s 2016 Golf R 6MT Lapiz Blue

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to the Golfare (Golf-are, get it?) build thread.

I picked this car up on July 1, 2019 from a Bentley / Lamborghini dealership, oddly enough.

It’s a 2016 (MK7) Golf R in Lapiz Blue with the manual (6 speed).

Driving this car home from the dealership was the first time I had ever driven a manual; don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be done. As a millennial, those who drive stick are far and few between. Upon test driving the manual, I understood what everyone has always been telling me about how much more fun they are. The same day, I cross-shopped a DSG at a different dealership, liked it, but ended up coming back to the original dealership to get my hands back on the 6MT. Bought it then and there with 26k miles and minimal paint wear and completely stock; 0 mods.

I am posting this about 4 weeks from first getting the car and I am thrilled to be a part of this community. I’ve put 2,600 miles on it in 30 days. In this time, I’ve been given thumbs up and waves from fellow Golf R owners, something that I’ve never experienced in any of my previous cars.

Let the mods begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
Went for a rip with my buddy who took his ‘12 WRX.

With the Continental summer tires the R came with, I’ve found I can throw it into corners quicker than your mother can unbutton her overalls.

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
Mods to date:
-Weathertech floor mats
-Weathertech rain guards
-Amazon headlight eyelids

To come:
-Res delete or valved catback exhaust (this car is too quiet, recommendations welcome)
-VW671 license plate mount
-Tints (20% or 35%, not sure how illegal I want to be)
-APR Stage I

Ok now, might sound like a bad idea, but who would think red mud flaps would look nice on this R?
Might be a nice accent to the tails. It would stand out for sure. I’d go for this red on Lapiz blue route OR just throw on medium-dark taillight tints and darkened badges to go for a black on blue look. Thoughts?

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed

Did a wash, clay bar, mild paint correction and CarPro Cquartz Ceramic coating. Took 10 man hours of work.

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
WeatherTech floor mats and rain guards. I'm happy with the fit.

Attachments

• Mats.jpg
    Mats.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Mats 2.jpg
    Mats 2.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Guards.jpg
    Guards.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Guards 2.jpg
    Guards 2.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Guards 3.jpg
    Guards 3.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 213

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
New Ebay front splitter + VW671 LegitSpeedDesigns license plate mount + vanity plate RRRRR + wheels (very dirty here).

The splitter was very easy to install with 2 sets of hands and some masking tape to hold temporarily while you use the provided screws. The splitter came in three prices which you screw together using the provided screws and screw bosses that are injection molded in. Haven't scrapped yet, but I can only imagine it won't be long on these New England roads...
image2.jpeg

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
Do not buy the splitter/lip shown above if you like to drive fast. I bought two; the first broke on the highway using the screws they provide after running it for several months. I liked the way it looked so I ordered another and waited 2+ months. The screws were upgraded to #14 SS screws with large fender washers and it still ripped off again due to its low rigidity. It broke into a million pieces 12 hours after I installed it. Some suggested using 3M tape but I wanted to have the ability to remove the lip. Regardless of the affixing method, the material is too weak and thin for high speeds. Buy quality.