GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf TSI good traveling car?

westsidewithlove

Car(s)
mk7 golf tsi
Hey guys. Going on a road trip from SF to LA at the end of this month. I have a 2015 golf tsi with about 50k and has had no problems. Do you think its good to travel with or should I rent a car? Ideally, I would love if this was a good traveling car because I would love to drive this everywhere. But some say its more of a performance car and not something that you would take to travel with? what do you guys think? or know? lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
They're great for long distance drives. Just double check tire pressure, coolant level and oil before you head out.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hey guys. Going on a road trip from SF to LA at the end of this month. I have a 2015 golf tsi with about 50k and has had no problems. Do you think its good to travel with or should I rent a car? Ideally, I would love if this was a good traveling car because I would love to drive this everywhere. But some say its more of a performance car and not something that you would take to travel with? what do you guys think? or know? lol

if your car is a Golf TSI, it is certainly not a performance car. It’s an economy car that is decently fun to drive and well-appointed on the inside.

I drove my 2015 GTI to Colorado once and put 5K miles on it in 2 weeks. Best 5K miles I got out of the car.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
TSI engine loves to be driven, So yes. A GOLF will be more comfortable than a GTI too, so it's a win win for road trips.

Elwood

3-7-77
Mine goes from LA to Montana a couple times a year. No problems. I have made a few improvements over the years. GTI brakes, better suspension.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
SF to LA is hardly a road trip lol. Besides that point why would you consider renting a car? The cost of renting a car for that trip would be hundreds of dollars. Of course you should take your golf.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Also just keep in mind German cars, especially Golfs, are built for the Autobahn. They’re the best highway cars in the world.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
"Best" might be something big like the A8L, as far as mass produced cars.

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I made several round trips from Cleveland to Milwaukee when I had my TSI. Way better to drive than whatever garbage compact rental I would have had to use. Haven’t taken that long of a trip with my GTI, but I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it if I had the opportunity.

Nyulak

Ready to race!
My TSI was also tuned and lowered. Last trip I made had an aftermarket clutch and was a bitch to constantly shift in the Chicago stop and go traffic due to the stronger pressure plate.