GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Wing Mirror Glass Fell Out - Advice Please

Jgilliver88

Car(s)
VW Golf R mk7
Hello all

I have a bit of a question about my Golf R wing mirror.

I was pulling off the drive when the drivers side glass in the wing mirror fell out and shattered all over the floor. I've been looking at replacement glass but wondered if anyone else had this and if it was just the glass that failed or was it something wrong with the heating unit so more than just the glass needs replacing?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers
Joe
20210423_151505.jpg

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
The adhesive in the back of the glass let go. It happened in my '15 gti. Do yourself a favor and get some upgraded ones off of ebay or Ali express that have a wider view. Still cheaper than getting oem replacements and you'll see more.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The adhesive in the back of the glass let go. It happened in my '15 gti. Do yourself a favor and get some upgraded ones off of ebay or Ali express that have a wider view. Still cheaper than getting oem replacements and you'll see more.
The european golfs already have wide aspect mirrors.

He just needs replacement glass unit (comes with new plastic backing, I would go OEM, it wont be very expensive. OP, it takes 2 minutes to swap in new glass, no tools required.

Jgilliver88

Car(s)
VW Golf R mk7
The european golfs already have wide aspect mirrors.

He just needs replacement glass unit (comes with new plastic backing, I would go OEM, it wont be very expensive. OP, it takes 2 minutes to swap in new glass, no tools required.
Thanks very much for the advice gents.

I'll have a look online.

Does the replacement glass unit include the heater element and plugs in or just glass with adhesive on the back?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Its the full unit with heating element and plastic clip back that your glass unglued from.