GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R wheel hop when launching

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
^
That's pretty damn excessive Imo. Get better tires, rip it on warm days and save yourself the hundreds of $ in parts instead.

The stock tires are garbage anyway and should be the first thing to change in the first place.
No, it's not excessive if you're beyond OEM power levels. I personally see a benefit from some of those mods (Engine mounts, Lowering springs, and some better tires)... Though I haven't yet gotten the lower control arms yet, but I plan to to help eliminate the high speed braking jello feeling I get. Those mods DO help when you're really aggressively giving it it a full send off the line.

VW made these cars to appeal to a vast majority of people, meaning that many of the bushings and engine mounts are very soft and give A LOT. The above mods help to stiffen things up without killing the daily driver aspect of the car. I also made my post above in steps starting with the parts that improved things for me the most for wheel hop.

I came here to share my experience and try to help the OP with steps I've taken to eliminate wheel hop and the excess drivetrain play that I had when stock. Yes tires alone will likely help the most of any dingle upgrade... However as a whole the other mods do indeed help a lot.

Video ATR linked was from someone else, and in the comments they talk about the haldex not working. An R with a working haldex won't be the same.
Yes, that video wasn't the OP's car. I never said it was. Sorry that I didn't specifically state that.

To be honest it's VERY hard to judge what the issue is exactly without any video for context.
I will say that there were some issues with early build date MK7 Golf Rs having their Haldex failing. So cars that were built prior to 2017 had this issue sporadically... 2017 model year and later had a updated Haldex unit that wasn't anywhere near as prone to fail like the earlier cars were.

I have seen videos of MK7 Rs wheel hopping off the line at a drag strips before and yes their Haldex was working. I too had it a few times on hard takeoffs when bone stock.

This video does prove my point, he shows a clip of wheel hop shortly after the video starts:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
IIRC, I think Chuck with his alltrack running mid 11's was having issues with wheel hop in the rear at the drag strip before he upgraded the rear tires.