GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R wheel hop when launching

George3G

Has anyone had problems with what feels like wheel hop when launching? I've noticed it on my MRC Stage 1 7R. Even on very smooth/new tarmac I'll get three or four "bangs" once past 5,000rpm in 1st gear. I've done some research and I'm thinking about uprating the dogbone mount. I also read some posts about OBD Eleven tweaks. Has anyone had the same issue and managed to successfully resolve it? Thanks!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Upgrading the engine, transmission, and dogbone mounts go a long way in stiffening things up to reduce and eliminate wheelhop. Don't do just one mount and call it good. Really needs all three done.

Revo and BFI (stage 1) seem to be the easiest to get ahold of.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Which tires are you using? I'm not experiencing any hop or spin using indy500's.. It just takes off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone had problems with what feels like wheel hop when launching? I've noticed it on my MRC Stage 1 7R. Even on very smooth/new tarmac I'll get three or four "bangs" once past 5,000rpm in 1st gear. I've done some research and I'm thinking about uprating the dogbone mount. I also read some posts about OBD Eleven tweaks. Has anyone had the same issue and managed to successfully resolve it? Thanks!

What do you mean by bangs? The front end bouncing up and down violently? On an R with AWD?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
What do you mean by bangs? The front end bouncing up and down violently? On an R with AWD?
4Motion cars don't bounce quite the same way, but you definitely feel it. I had bad wheel hop at my last track outing, but now with BFI mounts, it shouldn't happen anymore. Due to this outbreak, I won't find out till fall.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Again, what tires are being used? Is it cold out? I've never experiences wheel hop in the R with dsg or my '15 Gti with the 6spd manual.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Control your right foot better on 1st gear. Wait until you get into 2nd gear to mash the pedal. Some of the other hot hatch competitors limit boost in the smaller gears, to maximize getting the power to the ground (and limit things like torque steer, etc)

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I need to play with the JB4 and lower boost in 1st gear next time out.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Okay, the single best way to help eliminate wheel hop in both the GTI and the R is to first upgrade the three mounts to stiffer mounts.

The factory springs are indeed a bit on the soft side so that too can contribute to the wheels bouncing a bit. a good spring that increases spring rates will help with reducing the likelyhood of wheel hop

And of coarse there's tires themselves that will help maintain contact with the road. Check your PSI to ensure they are at the factory spec (around 39PSI cold). Factory tires typically are lackluster inn one area or another. So it would be very helpful for traction to replace them with a better tire.

To help even more you can get lower control arms that eliminate the gap in the OEM arms...
Something like one of the following products:
https://blackforestindustries.com/c...ms-rs3-solid-rubber-bushings-with-ball-joints
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...hane-bushings-with-hardware/008692ecs01-02kt/

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
^
That's pretty damn excessive Imo. Get better tires, rip it on warm days and save yourself the hundreds of $ in parts instead.

The stock tires are garbage anyway and should be the first thing to change in the first place.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Video ATR linked was from someone else, and in the comments they talk about the haldex not working. An R with a working haldex won't be the same.