GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs Porsche 997

Mike A.

Ready to race!
I've wanted a 911 for a long time, I spent 6yrs living in Germany about 10 years ago. I have a 944 that I loved but have always wanted a 911. I was in a Porsche club while I lived there and we did auto-x races, a few Factory and Porsche test track events. I got to meet Alois Ruf and have a tour of his shop in Pfaffenhausen. He and one of his mechanics gave rides in their new Turbo R and they rolled out "Yellow Bird" from the famous Nurburgring video for everyone to see. So....I've always loved Porsches.

So fast forward to today...I can now afford to keep driving my 2010 GTI and get a 997, looking at the 2007-2008 Carrera S. I'm out in San Francisco for the week and I rented a 2005 997. The flat 6 sounds amazing and I love the steering feel...and looks of the car in general....but....in the twisties I feel like my APR stag 1 with PSS's and the DSG can hang with it without a problem. It doesn't really feel that much faster then my GTI. Of course coming out of tight corners it can put the power down better with the rwd. My car also feels a lot more planted in fast corners. I was surprised but I thought the 911 would feel a lot faster.

Any current or former 911 owners now driving a Golf R?

Last edited:

GolfRBlue

Ready to race!
Yes!

I purchased a slightly used 2007 Porsche Carrera S (911) in 2008. Owned it until 2010. I loved the overall driving experience of my manual shift Carrera S very much. The car was awesome, sounded great and was so much fun to drive! That said, it really wasn't a practical car for me in that it had no cargo space, rear passenger space was non existent, etc. but I knew that at the time of purchase. I sold it in 2010 after the warranty expired because I wasn't about to pay super high dollars for potential down the road maintenance costs that might occur. That said, I had ZERO problems with it during ownership. It was a gem to drive.

I recently traded in my 2013 Golf R (6 speed manual) for a new 2015 Golf R (DSG). My Mk6 Golf R was a nice car for sure and its handling characteristics reminded me somewhat of my 911. That said, my new Mk7 Golf R reminds me of my 911 way more with the additional horsepower, transmission, suspension and steering selection options! The Mk7 R also has incredible versatility in that it can carry passengers and cargo in "Comfort Mode" which really is important to me at this stage in my life or can be set to "Race Mode" and launched! I personally haven't "launched" mine yet, but that day is coming soon! :D

To cut to the chase, YES I do think that my Mk7 R could hang with my 2007 Porsche Carrera S, partly because it handles cornering very well and the DSG transmission is so responsive in selecting optimum gears when the transmission is set to Sport and the Race Mode is selected! ;)

Some say the Golf R is too pricey at around $40k. Personally, I think it is a great car for that amount of money! Very versatile and fun to drive! :D

andig4

Passed Driver's Ed
Golfrblue, really nice write up, enjoyed it :)

enkil

Ready to race!
Nice...
Darn i have to break my piggy bank again for a Golf R sooonnnn :p

Yes!

I purchased a slightly used 2007 Porsche Carrera S (911) in 2008. Owned it until 2010. I loved the overall driving experience of my manual shift Carrera S very much. The car was awesome, sounded great and was so much fun to drive! That said, it really wasn't a practical car for me in that it had no cargo space, rear passenger space was non existent, etc. but I knew that at the time of purchase. I sold it in 2010 after the warranty expired because I wasn't about to pay super high dollars for potential down the road maintenance costs that might occur. That said, I had ZERO problems with it during ownership. It was a gem to drive.

I recently traded in my 2013 Golf R (6 speed manual) for a new 2015 Golf R (DSG). My Mk6 Golf R was a nice car for sure and its handling characteristics reminded me somewhat of my 911. That said, my new Mk7 Golf R reminds me of my 911 way more with the additional horsepower, transmission, suspension and steering selection options! The Mk7 R also has incredible versatility in that it can carry passengers and cargo in "Comfort Mode" which really is important to me at this stage in my life or can be set to "Race Mode" and launched! I personally haven't "launched" mine yet, but that day is coming soon! :D

To cut to the chase, YES I do think that my Mk7 R could hang with my 2007 Porsche Carrera S, partly because it handles cornering very well and the DSG transmission is so responsive in selecting optimum gears when the transmission is set to Sport and the Race Mode is selected! ;)

Some say the Golf R is too pricey at around $40k. Personally, I think it is a great car for that amount of money! Very versatile and fun to drive! :D

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Mine can actually ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UlOLHf1Jso (look from 4:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUAr8oRrIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx9wFnP3t18 (from 3:45)

And even my 6 R was able as well. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0NDg8WuPos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZuVQlO__E (from 3:45)

Seriously: with even skilled drivers in both cars, the 997 S will be faster than the stock MK 7 .:R all the time. Street and track, straight and corners, uphill and downhill. It may be not that much but it is. But GolfRBlue is right concerning the sporty feeling of the MK VII .:R. It is so much more sporty to drive than the VI .:R that it's hard to describe to someone who hasn't driven the VII .:R yet. Not world, universes are between them. And the sporty feeling of the two cars (VII R and 997 S) on track may be even. And in addition you get a completely all day drivable/usable car for 4 persons with trunk. What more can you want of a car? ;)

DAS_STIG

Banned
so a subaru wrx sti managed a 3:10.5 at caranddriver's lightning lap this past year:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2014-results-and-sector-times-feature

a 997 carrera S managed a 3:05.8 back in 2009:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2009-ll3-2009-porsche-911-carrera-s-3058-page-16

and motortrend found that the golf R is actually faster than an STI on track (1:46.01 v 1:47.16):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rx_sti_vs_2015_volkswagen_golf_r/viewall.html

although the carrera S would win, it would not be by that much - maybe 3 seconds around VIR (just a guess based on the results i posted above).

Mike A.

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been having a blast with the 911. Spent a while tearing up the roads north of San Francisco yesterday, there is some amazing driving out here. I've been going back and forth for a while about what I'm going to buy, I was expecting to be blown away by the 997 and really want one after driving it. While it is an awesome car to drive I've gained a little more respect for the GTI while being away from it.

So keep the GTI (2010, APR stg1, Carbino, 4dr, dsg, dedicated winter wheel setup) and get a 997s ($50-55K) or for about $30k less (Golf R vs 997s + income from selling my GTI) sell the GTI and get a 2016 Golf R with a 6spd. I'm glad I have been able to drive a 911 for the past few days because I'm pretty sure it's answered this expensive question for me!

Wow! That wasn't a plain 997 S, the was a GT3 or possibly a GT3 RS that you were hanging with! That is impressive! I love watching your videos, I loved going to the Nordschleife when I lived there. I had a 944 and a Turbo Miata that put 280 to the wheels! I went through a lot of tires and brake pads while living in Germany!

I'm sure a 997 S would be faster on a higher speed road course but the reality is, most of us don't get to spend time on tracks such as the Nordschleife. For me, my excitement comes from the occasional blast through windy backroad.

If only the the Golf R sounded like a flat 6, or the R32's 3.2 :D

DAS_STIG

Banned
Why not save some money and get a real weekend car? Would probably be cheaper than switching to a 911. GTI is great for DD, get something not practical for weekends like that miata you mentioned. Hell, even get a new miata - it's getting great reviews.

Mike A.

Ready to race!
That's what a 911 would be, weekend, occasional commute to work on nice days ect. Maybe a track event 1 or 2 times a year at Summit Point and VIR.

I've thought about a 2008-2010 M3 as well. Haven't driven one yet. There aren't many other cars out there that I like enough to put $40-50k towards.

The more I think about it the more I'm convincing myself that the Golf R is the complete package for owning a single car rather than a commuter + fun car.

jjm51

Ready to race!
great discussion here guys.

thanks.

in my long wait for the 2016's the 1% chance of getting an r instead of pp gti seems to always grow after reading threads like this.

thanks again.

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
Those videos are amazing!!! Thanks for the share. You have some great driving skills!

Mine can actually ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UlOLHf1Jso (look from 4:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUAr8oRrIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx9wFnP3t18 (from 3:45)

And even my 6 R was able as well. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0NDg8WuPos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZuVQlO__E (from 3:45)

Seriously: with even skilled drivers in both cars, the 997 S will be faster than the stock MK 7 .:R all the time. Street and track, straight and corners, uphill and downhill. It may be not that much but it is. But GolfRBlue is right concerning the sporty feeling of the MK VII .:R. It is so much more sporty to drive than the VI .:R that it's hard to describe to someone who hasn't driven the VII .:R yet. Not world, universes are between them. And the sporty feeling of the two cars (VII R and 997 S) on track may be even. And in addition you get a completely all day drivable/usable car for 4 persons with trunk. What more can you want of a car? ;)

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
That's what a 911 would be, weekend, occasional commute to work on nice days ect. Maybe a track event 1 or 2 times a year at Summit Point and VIR.

I know this is heresy in here, but stop thinking so much and get the Porsche. To me, even as much as I love my Golf R, since you've been lusting after a 911 for eons now, it's a total no-brainer. Cars are a lot like women, in that you always wonder about the one who got away. Buying a new car seldom involves rational thinking; if it did we'd all be over in the Mk7 forum writing about our base-line turbo diesels. If after owning the Porsche for a while the impracticalities and upkeep costs make you a bit less smitten with that choice, you can always sell it and buy a 2017 or 2018 Golf R, or even better yet, an R 420! And by that time, you'll surely be able to get an R with sunroof, as like with a woman, being with one who playfully runs around with her top off can be quite an adventure.

My apologies to all the female members of this forum.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I know this is heresy in here, but stop thinking so much and get the Porsche. To me, even as much as I love my Golf R, since you've been lusting after a 911 for eons now, it's a total no-brainer. Cars are a lot like women, in that you always wonder about the one who got away. Buying a new car seldom involves rational thinking; if it did we'd all be over in the Mk7 forum writing about our base-line turbo diesels. If after owning the Porsche for a while the impracticalities and upkeep costs make you a bit less smitten with that choice, you can always sell it and buy a 2017 or 2018 Golf R, or even better yet, an R 420! And by that time, you'll surely be able to get an R with sunroof, as like with a woman, being with one who playfully runs around with her top off can be quite an adventure.

My apologies to all the female members of this forum.

a car with a sunroof is like a woman that teases you with a lot of cleavage in a revealing dress but leaves you high and dry... a convertible is one that runs around with her top off.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
[...]
Wow! That wasn't a plain 997 S, the was a GT3 or possibly a GT3 RS that you were hanging with! That is impressive! I love watching your videos, I loved going to the Nordschleife when I lived there. I had a 944 and a Turbo Miata that put 280 to the wheels! I went through a lot of tires and brake pads while living in Germany!
[...

Those videos are amazing!!! Thanks for the share. You have some great driving skills!
Thanks gents. You know, I try and try... :)

Yeah, Nordschleife is the most challenging and amazing track in the world and I feel blessed to be so lucky to live nearby. And I'm sure, Mike, you had lots and lots of tires and brakes left there... ;)