GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Undertray/Skidplate - are they beneficial, harmful, or anywhere in between?

Ghulfer

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I recently got myself into a 6MT 7.5 Golf R. Great car! No complaints really.

After purchasing, I quickly changed my oil for peace of mind.

I realized immediately that these cars are not fitted with a proper skid plate or even protective plastic under the engine, exposing the oil pan and also the control arms and subframe to road debris (this car is getting filthy underneath).

What gives? Is this a cost cut on VW’s part?

I want to fit an alltrack under tray, or the ECS tuning skid plate but I am worried there’s a good reason why these didn’t come with one from VW (perhaps it keeps temps down? Maybe it’s somwthing else?).

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
I have the ares skid plate (bent my tdi oil pan shortly after lowering) and it has saved me at least twice. I can only use the oil temp as reference but it didn’t change at all.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
The alltrack skid plate is a common retrofit and I personally haven't seen any complaints. Common consensus seems to be VW just cheaped out. Golfdave has a great DIY on Alltrack and other undertrays here. I'd recommend steering clear of the ECS tray, the front mounts to the bumper whereas the Alltrack mounts to the frame with brackets.

Ghulfer

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Very nice. Safety and reliability are top priorities.

The alltrack retrofit is most likely where I will go. That is a great starting place!!

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Just to add, if you get the Alltrack piece be sure to get the two brackets and hardware, otherwise it's useless. Also if you're running an FMIC, the brackets will interfere with the IC hoses. Factory location IC's won't be a problem.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I recently got myself into a 6MT 7.5 Golf R. Great car! No complaints really.

After purchasing, I quickly changed my oil for peace of mind.

I realized immediately that these cars are not fitted with a proper skid plate or even protective plastic under the engine, exposing the oil pan and also the control arms and subframe to road debris (this car is getting filthy underneath).

What gives? Is this a cost cut on VW’s part?

I want to fit an alltrack under tray, or the ECS tuning skid plate but I am worried there’s a good reason why these didn’t come with one from VW (perhaps it keeps temps down? Maybe it’s somwthing else?).

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Depending on where you live, and the amount of snow that you get, the OEM R skidplate is decorative at best. In my case, I had to back down a snowy road because a car jackknifed in front of me and blocked the road. In doing so, the snow piled up under my car and ripped the OEM plate right off (along with some of the connecting plastics).

I've since replaced my plate with on from Raptor Racing, which is 30lbs of aluminum, which will likely outlive me. It has experienced a few heavy snowfalls and is proving to be exactly as beefy as it looks. The only downside was having to remove the bumper to bolt the plate to the frame, but it gives quite a bit of piece of mind. It also has a removable section for oil changes.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
Depending on where you live, and the amount of snow that you get, the OEM R skidplate is decorative at best. In my case, I had to back down a snowy road because a car jackknifed in front of me and blocked the road. In doing so, the snow piled up under my car and ripped the OEM plate right off (along with some of the connecting plastics).

I've since replaced my plate with on from Raptor Racing, which is 30lbs of aluminum, which will likely outlive me. It has experienced a few heavy snowfalls and is proving to be exactly as beefy as it looks. The only downside was having to remove the bumper to bolt the plate to the frame, but it gives quite a bit of piece of mind. It also has a removable section for oil changes.
If this is the one you're talking about here, then it looks like there's some gaps on either side of the tray, much like the ECS tuning one, which can let snow inside the tray. Could you post pictures of yours installed if it's not too much trouble?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Most VAG cars have for decades just come with a thin plastic half aero/splash tray...

However most diesel VAG get fitted with a full aero tray made of thin plastic as its "noise insulation"...

& VAG cars build for countries with bad roads/untarmacked roads, or cars designed/marketed for off road have reinforced skid trays which mount to the front crash bar & front subframe points...

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
If this is the one you're talking about here, then it looks like there's some gaps on either side of the tray, much like the ECS tuning one, which can let snow inside the tray. Could you post pictures of yours installed if it's not too much trouble?
That's the one, and you are correct, there is a gap on either side of the of the front edge of the pan, but they're smaller than they seem like they would be. The center section of the pan is way wider than it initially appears. The Raptor Racing one is also incredibly thick. I looked at the reviews of the ECS one and it appeared that they used something more like stamped aluminum, whereas this is more like aluminum stock. One more for looks, and the other for beating on.

We got 36" of snow here in a 3-day dump in early Jan, so I went for a romp. Some snow definitely gets into the gaps, but very little. It it builds up around the edge and packs immediately, rather completely filling the pan. Also, the skid plate took some pretty aggressive hits, including a situation in which I drove through a stretch of dirt road covered in snow, and I definitely dragged the bottom of the car on something firm. The skid plate shrugged it off and I kept on trucking. Now that the snow is gone, I'll be shuttling my bikes up fire roads again. Looking forward to the extra protection over the oil pan.

I don't have any pics, but I'll see what I can snap tomorrow.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
That's the one, and you are correct, there is a gap on either side of the of the front edge of the pan, but they're smaller than they seem like they would be. The center section of the pan is way wider than it initially appears. The Raptor Racing one is also incredibly thick. I looked at the reviews of the ECS one and it appeared that they used something more like stamped aluminum, whereas this is more like aluminum stock. One more for looks, and the other for beating on.

We got 36" of snow here in a 3-day dump in early Jan, so I went for a romp. Some snow definitely gets into the gaps, but very little. It it builds up around the edge and packs immediately, rather completely filling the pan. Also, the skid plate took some pretty aggressive hits, including a situation in which I drove through a stretch of dirt road covered in snow, and I definitely dragged the bottom of the car on something firm. The skid plate shrugged it off and I kept on trucking. Now that the snow is gone, I'll be shuttling my bikes up fire roads again. Looking forward to the extra protection over the oil pan.

I don't have any pics, but I'll see what I can snap tomorrow.
Thanks I'd really appreciate that. I did notice that the instructions say:
Factory splash guards can be bolted back onto the skid plate using a 3/8” socket and 13mm socket.
If they mean the 1/2 cover that goes on the front then that should cover the holes. I'm not sure if there's some other splash guards I'm forgetting or what.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Just to add, if you get the Alltrack piece be sure to get the two brackets and hardware, otherwise it's useless. Also if you're running an FMIC, the brackets will interfere with the IC hoses. Factory location IC's won't be a problem.

So there's no option for us FMIC folks?

I'm recently lowered. I don't drive a ton right now and I'm intimately familiar with the roads I do drive but I was considering some kind of underbody protection for when I inevitably get called back to work and start commuting every day.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
So there's no option for us FMIC folks?

I'm recently lowered. I don't drive a ton right now and I'm intimately familiar with the roads I do drive but I was considering some kind of underbody protection for when I inevitably get called back to work and start commuting every day.

Not with the Alltrack shield unfortunately. I installed the Neuspeed FMIC on my Alltrack and had to remove the two main supports as they were directly in the path of the hoses which pretty much defeats the purpose of the Alltrack shield. It always bugged me so I sold the Neuspeed and bought a stock location Unitronic IC. I thought about having some steel rings fabricated and cut them into the supports that the hoses could pass thru, but that never got past the thought phase..

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
20210416_231120.jpg

20210416_231127.jpg

20210416_231144.jpg

And there you are. Let me know if you want other pictures. You'll notice that a couple of the holes along the edge don't have bolts in them, because I tore that section of the plastic off when the old guard ripped off. I've manufactured some brackets that I'll install this summer when I'm installing an intercooler. On the positive side, it hasn't mattered at all. The Raptor Racing plate is so beefy that it's holding everything in place and keeping it protected.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks I'd really appreciate that. I did notice that the instructions say:

If they mean the 1/2 cover that goes on the front then that should cover the holes. I'm not sure if there's some other splash guards I'm forgetting or what.

I'm not sure what they mean, but I'm guessing that it's just that narrow strip at the very front. Once the new skid plate is in place, you can't put the regular splash guard on (not that you would need to).

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
I'm not sure what they mean, but I'm guessing that it's just that narrow strip at the very front. Once the new skid plate is in place, you can't put the regular splash guard on (not that you would need to).
Alright, thanks for the clarification. 👍