GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r turbo failure

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Dumb question incoming... How can I tell which turbo version my baby has?

I would like to know the answer to this also. I suppose look on the turbo?

Demon tweaked

Passed Driver's Ed
I would like to know the answer to this also. I suppose look on the turbo?

it is easier to use a cellphone, put your hand near the firewall and take a picture using flash towards the turbo, you will probably have to try a few times but you will eventually get the plate that is on the turbo with the part number.

Demon tweaked

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it depends on what the dealer does in terms of the "online" system. In most cases they do not run the full test that sends the info over to the main server which is very time consuming as it takes up to 15min according to people I have spoken too. This is quite a bit of data transfer.
In most cases I think dealers do not do the online things and people think they got away with it. The ones that they do are not so lucky.

I thought in order to have a claim approved VW has to follow the online procedure? If not then it seems they are inconsistent both at the dealership and at the head office or wherever the claim is approved from?

Toxic R

Passed Driver's Ed
it is easier to use a cellphone, put your hand near the firewall and take a picture using flash towards the turbo, you will probably have to try a few times but you will eventually get the plate that is on the turbo with the part number.
A better idea is to shoot a video (using a phone) instead of a photo. Much easier.
I tried taking a video and found mine to be 702N :D

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Part no on turbo

I just took a mirror with 7-80 mm (3 inch) diameter. Just hold it in some different angles behind the turbo you will see the number. It will of cause be mirror reversed…

/Peter

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
If you have this number don t worry :)

New Ea888 Gen 3 turbo part numbers are out:

06K 145 722 G - MK7 Golf GTI
06K 145 722 H - MK7 Golf R

FYI, those turbo part numbers aren't very new... those were in most production cars dated 12/2014 and newer.

HIpsi

But my friend car is vary new it has only 1000km and he order the car and sone it arrived to the agent he pick up the car 2 month ago. And the same thing The exhaust fan broke from the middle.but I don't no the turbo part number I have to ask hem when I see hem??

Toxic R

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread is about a 702N failing. Why are you smiling?

Life is too short to cry and be sad over a freakin faulty Turbo! I know that one day it will fail on me, but what can i do about it so till then i'll keep :D and let the warranty do its thing. :cool:

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
My production date is 1/15 as is Harelows R. Does anyone know off hand what turbo revision we have?

Sailor737

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that OP, 702 N is the second turbo version on the R; these were known to fail on stock cars and your dealer knows this. Your car however was tuned so VW will most certainly not honor the warranty. My guess is yours was going to fail at some point; and the tune has just accelerated the failure.

At this stage, I recommend that your dealer checks for debris in the engine just to make sure you do not need an engine replacement, and if all goes well, you should consider an aftermarket turbo from TTE or the likes, might be even cheaper than the OEM replacement...

Just for reference these are the turbo versions on the golf R:

06K 145 702 J
06K 145 702 N
06K 145 722 A
06K 145 722 H

So which version is supposed to be the good one? I haven't checked which version I have on my car but I just picked my car up 30 days ago so it has to be the newest, right? Thanks.

NY.:R

Passed Driver's Ed
So which version is supposed to be the good one? I haven't checked which version I have on my car but I just picked my car up 30 days ago so it has to be the newest, right? Thanks.
722 H is the revised turbo for the R. Even tho you just got it recently, best to check. You never know what the date of production was. The turbo has a placard on the side that says the model number. Should be able to capture it using your smart phone with the flash on on the side of the turbo.