GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R to Make NA Debut at 2014 Detroit Auto Show with 290 HP

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Never mind, we get the worst (or maybe it's the best) of both US and Aussie TV

krische

vdubber in training
Well - I'm not 100% sure, but I had to say something. Our R has more horsepower and I don't think they're going to get the PP GTi :rolleyes:

Pretty sure the performance pack GTI is coming to the US. That's what all the reviews seem to say. But I'm sure all exact options available will be announced at the Detroit auto show, along with the ship date.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
We get many good BBC programs, and yes we bi7@h about our lack of a two door R. If I were to buy a MK7 R it would remain un-molested. But probably just stick with a MKVII two door 1.8T, hope we get the DSG and not a torque converter 6 speed. Yes it replaces the 2.5L five cylinder power plant.

viper689

Ready to race!
It always amuses how we get the wall-to-wall whinging from the Yanks, yet they get everything so cheap. I'm willing to bet they get among the cheapest VWs anywhere.

Won't stop them whinging though - never mind, our "R" and "GTi" are better specced and more powerful than theirs.

By the way, that's £6,000 cheaper than the base R-model here in The UK, but they'll still whinge and whine while planning how they'll customise it before they've even as much as sniffed one :rolleyes:

We also have to wait a year to get ours, and we have to settle for Made In Mexico VWs. So yeah, I think it's fair.

Mk6Bender

Passed Driver's Ed
Well - I'm not 100% sure, but I had to say something. Our R has more horsepower and I don't think they're going to get the PP GTi :rolleyes:

Myth - its all about how horsepower is rated in AUS and EU as compared to the US. Put them both on a dyno next to eachother and they will come up the same.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Just the sort of answer I'd have expected :p

Mk6Bender

Passed Driver's Ed
We have it REALLY good here in the U.S. :)

We do lose some of the features as the position of a GTI or R overseas (specifically the UK and AUS) is more similar to that of a 3 series BMW. Here it is more similar to a Civic SI. Its not quite as plush inside and we don't get someone of the fancy suspension stuff (at least on the VI, I bet this is true on the VII when it actually gets here) but we still have it good.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
It's the only logical conclusion. The MK7 factory in Mexico is not set up to build the vehicle, and it doesn't make sense to do so for a low-volume run.

I'll guarantee you the MK7 Golf R in the US will be "Hecho en Alemania".

Nolte

Fear my Stock Ride Height
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Really? Confirmed?

Jamie over at Vortex confirmed that the Mexico plant is not able to do 4motion at this time and that the first run of North American Rs would be from Germany, but VW, of course, is silent.

As for the comments about us "yanks" whining ... you really have no idea. I'm American and even I can agree that people here are the most materialistic, inexplicably entitled, whiners you'll ever meet.

ericm979 at vortex said it best: "If VW announced a car that cost $20k, had 400 hp, got 60 mpg and emitted nothing but sparkly unicorn farts guys here would complain bitterly that they're not strawberry flavored unicorn farts."

DW58

Go Kart Champion

Even at this early hour I had a good chuckle at the last paragraph above.