GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r swaying on motorway when bending/turning left

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi guys

I have a very weird problem with my Mk7 golf R on the motorway. Whenever I go over around 40 mph and the road/motorway is bending to the left (so the steering wheel turning to the left) the car sways really badly. Turning to right is ok when doing 70 mph etc but on a rough road whenever car is going left it feels like the whole chassis is swaying left and right it is really frustrating to fix now.

I've replaced all four electronic shock absorbers
both lower rear coffins arms (where the coil sits)
front left ball joint
ive also had alignment done
I’ve had the underneath checked by a mechanical garage (who isn’t that good tbh) but also two different alignment places who all have said the control arms, tie rods, links & bushings seems fine all around the car. There are no play in any of them.

Only other thing I can do is change tyre. I am thinking maybe sway bar bushings could cause this but that should be caught by the alignment guys? car is on 70k mileage.

any ideas?

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
are your rear sway bar end links stock? the stocks ones are made of plastic, so if you have not changed them, they could be cracked or broken. just a thought

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
UPDATE:

below is the alignment. The back left wheel couldn’t be brought in so changed rear control arms and brought wheel into alignment.

when garage put new control arms on the sway went away. Drove 3 times on motorway and no sway. (Sway meaning a movement of left and right like a wobble) but after I took car to alignment place drove back on motorway the swaying have come back!

alignment place say they just unscrewed the bolt, sorted alignment out and then tightened it back up. Yesterday I had a heavy load in my boot and I realised the sway was barely there. I think it is the rear coil but on Friday I will get a garage to torque all nuts in the rear to spec if they aren’t.

image.jpg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What do your tires look like? Any abnormal wear?

Does the sway happen only on certain roads, or all roads?

Is the wobble quick, does it increase in frequency with increased speed?
I would try swapping rear tires. It could be a tire problem that isn't visible.

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
What do your tires look like? Any abnormal wear?

Does the sway happen only on certain roads, or all roads?

Is the wobble quick, does it increase in frequency with increased speed?
It’s not tyres. I’ve got a 2017 S3 took alloys off that and put them on golf R and it Was still swaying. To be precise this is what happens. If I put my foot down its stable as a rock regardless of speed but as soon as I lift off gas that’s when the swaying happens. Always off the gas pedal. Plus it really noticeable when the road is bending to the left. Steering to the Right seems stable.

Xhytobgs5

Car(s)
Golf R
Update:

Fixed! forgot to update this just in case someone else has the same problems.
I replaced rear coils and car was still swaying. I was annoyed with replacing parts so I bought a rear axle with the arms on it that I needed such as upper arm and trailing arm etc. Got it aligned with new rear axle and no more swaying. All fixed.