GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Stage 2 No Fly Zone AZ 2021

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
No Fly Zone is more of an open test and tune format. Line up with whoever and run the 1/2 mile. I lined up with a stock Kia Stinger, Challenger 5.7L, and a Cadillac CTS-V. The cadi was the only one that started to pull on me toward the end of the run. I got a good start and he had to make it up on the big end.

My best trap speed was 140mph. I’m running an EQT stage 2 91octane tune, EQT DSG tune, and all the supporting bolt ons for a typical stage 2 Golf R. Using Bridgestone RE-71R’s for this race and my autocross events.

Here’s a quick video of one of the 1/2 mile runs:

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I’ve done their midwest event 4 or 5 times. Always a great time. Similar max trap speed (139).
That’s awesome. That was my first time as a participant. Probably won’t sign up again unless I mod the car more.

Have you taken your car to the drag strip? Curious what your 1/4 mile times are since our half mile times are the same. I’ll be going to the strip soon.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
That’s awesome. That was my first time as a participant. Probably won’t sign up again unless I mod the car more.

Have you taken your car to the drag strip? Curious what your 1/4 mile times are since our half mile times are the same. I’ll be going to the strip soon.

I've had two different Rs I've taken, had the same parts (literally) on both.

JB4 custom map 6, downpipe, intercooler, modified intake, res delete, mounts. I do a splash of e85 but dont change the tune.

First R was a manual. Ran 12.5xx@116 was my best but was all over the place because manual.

Current car is a 2019 DSG (Stock TCU tune) 11.8xx@115 is the best so far.

The manual was actually geared better for the the 1/2 than the DSG.

A bunch of races are on my youtube, although my dashcam failed at the last half mile and I lost most footage so most is the manual car. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJjmO7wJLUTPFj0gcSK2rA

Strongly considering picking up a vortex xl during their sale next month for next years event. ~140 seems to be the max for the stock turbo in the 1/2. I've had a few other stage 2 cars go to some of the same events I was at and all were high 130 cars, not sure anyone got to 141.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Took a look at a few of your videos. Fun times.
Now that the weather is cooler, the local track is finally opening the strip again. I’ll see what this thing will do.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
You on stock fueling?
Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. This is my daily, and there are only a few places in the area that sell E85. According to the tuners I’ve talked to, Arizona E85 is more like E54, so it’s crappy like our 91octane. The cost/effort/benefit equation is questionable since the fuel is so low quality and the effort/cost is pretty substantial.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. This is my daily, and there are only a few places in the area that sell E85. According to the tuners I’ve talked to, Arizona E85 is more like E54, so it’s crappy like our 91octane. The cost/effort/benefit equation is questionable since the fuel is so low quality and the effort/cost is pretty substantial.

post slips when you’re done. If I don’t get the vortex I’ve still been debating switching to their stage 2 tune but I’ve felt like the cost/benefit probably isn’t there based on what the car is already doing in the 1/4.

tip: if you haven’t taken it to the strip yet, don’t sit in launch control. You’ll get the best 60 ft if you release the brake as soon as your rpms peak. Also, make sure you stage as shallow as possible. Makes a big difference.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks for the tips. I’ll be going to the strip for the first time on Nov 13. I have a SCCA event in the morning, and going to the strip at night. I’ll definitely post the slips.

PicositoGTi

Go Kart Champion
Wonder what I could do half a mile. I’m a 114-115mph car. I’m is20 so my top end isnt great.

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
My only 1/2 mile run was 18.58s at 142.12 mph with stock IS38 turbo from this summer. So you can push past 140. I have had a better 1/4 since (11.65s at 118.47 - on winter wheels!) and 100-200 km/h as well (9.29s). 0-60 in 3.49s.

Only mod is intake and stage 1 ecu + tcu tune with some adjustments with JB4. Stock 19" wheels and full weight. Some E85 too of course. It's a bit colder now too so I could probably better it quite a bit.

It's a 2020 Seat Leon Cupra ST (wagon) so pretty much identical to the MK7.5 R wagon.

So not bad for being relatively heavy I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-172523.png
    Screenshot_20211028-172523.png
    535.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
My only 1/2 mile run was 18.58s at 142.12 mph with stock IS38 turbo from this summer. So you can push past 140. I have had a better 1/4 since (11.65s at 118.47 - on winter wheels!) and 100-200 km/h as well (9.29s). 0-60 in 3.49s.

Only mod is intake and stage 1 ecu + tcu tune with some adjustments with JB4. Stock 19" wheels and full weight. Some E85 too of course. It's a bit colder now too so I could probably better it quite a bit.

It's a 2020 Seat Leon Cupra ST (wagon) so pretty much identical to the MK7.5 R wagon.

So not bad for being relatively heavy I think.

Assuming since you're in europe, this car has MPI from the factory?

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
Ah right, perhaps it had MPI earlier but not since a few years, might have been since 7.5.

I have plenty of 11.6-11.7 times, check the dragy leaderboard for Seat. Stock fueling but E30. Actually ran 11.9 with JB4 pre tune too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-190625.png
    Screenshot_20211028-190625.png
    459.6 KB · Views: 73