GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R spare tire wear

PacificState1

Took my Mk7 R in for new tires last week, only to be told I had a cracked alloy which leaked air. Luckily, though, I had previously bought the spare (and new trim - I’m in the US) - so that went on and I nursed the car the ten miles or so home on it.

Anyway, a week later and I have a new alloy - I’m intending to go to the local tire place tomorrow to get everything swapped. Question, though - I’d otherwise take the car back (slowly) to the original place, but there seem to be warnings that the spare only lasts 50-ish miles. When that happens, can I replace just the tire or do I need an entire new wheel? The tire seems to be a Chinese brand I’ve never seen before. Thanks!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pretty sure that's just so you don't use the temporary tire for too long and put extra stress on the other components of the car.

Not that the tire itself only lasts 50 miles.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Unfortunately people are idiots and they have to put that on there. I have seen people driving around on those compact spares at 70 MPH on the highway. They aren't meant for that purpose. They think its a permanent tire replacement because they are too cheap to go buy another tire. It is just meant as a very temporary tire to be used at slower speeds for a few miles to get the real tire fixed. But you don't need to replace it.