GOLFMKV

Golf R Russian roulette

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
It could be a fun track beater. Worst case if it blows up you could toss an aliexpress motor in it haha Best case you stage zero it (basically get it caught up on maintenance) and have a sweet car on the cheap! I'd expect it to be a project to one degree or another regardless

That said, if it were my money I'd just buy something wrecked from a salvage auction with less miles and rebuild it. But I've rebuilt 3 written off MK7s so my opinion may be biased haha

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It does have 168k miles, so it's going to need something. Also a dealer bought it & obviously they thought it wasn't worth refurbishing, so there might be a lot more that's not disclosed

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
It does have 168k miles, so it's going to need something. Also a dealer bought it & obviously they thought it wasn't worth refurbishing, so there might be a lot more that's not disclosed
Yeah, it could be a turd or just need a few things on top of the paint/body work that didn't seem worth it to him. Wouldn't hurt to check it out though I guess!

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Normally, I wouldn't worry too much about seeing an aftermarket air filter on a car (though it's never a good thing to see on a used car), but with that many miles on it, that filter would only be making a bad situation worse, with regards to piston ring/cylinder wear. I'd do a compression test before handing over any money (and definitely not the $14K that they are asking for).

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@riceburner if it was a DSG: "That would make a perfect family car!"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Man. I'm really out of touch with pricing. I thought that would be a decent deal at like $11k assuming compression is good.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah, but even that one has been hit. Rear bumper is misaligned. And it's a 2015.

But yeah, I guess they're are cheap ones out there
When used cars are retaining value the way they have been, I find buying new starts to make more sense. Too bad there's virtually nothing new to buy out there that's interesting.