GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R rims, replace or buy new?

Rwm44

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi

Looking for some advice. I cracked one of my 19" Pretoria rims on my 14 plate golf R. I had it welded up but its just started leaking again. I called the VW I got the car from and they quoted just under £1100 to get a new one.

Am I better off just selling my 3 good VW original rims and buy a new set of whatever ones I like? (Will this detract from my cars value if I come to sell it?)

Or should I just suck it up and pay to get that one rim replaced and then take out rim specific insurance incase it happens again?

Thanks very much!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi

Looking for some advice. I cracked one of my 19" Pretoria rims on my 14 plate golf R. I had it welded up but its just started leaking again. I called the VW I got the car from and they quoted just under £1100 to get a new one.

Am I better off just selling my 3 good VW original rims and buy a new set of whatever ones I like? (Will this detract from my cars value if I come to sell it?)

Or should I just suck it up and pay to get that one rim replaced and then take out rim specific insurance incase it happens again?

Thanks very much!
Welcome to the forum. I would just get wheels you like before I would pay that outrageous price for 1 wheel. It won't hurt the value of the car.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Buy 4 new of what you want and sell the 3 you don't as well as toss the bad one. You could also buy a proper used 19" to make your set whole but you probably will end up bending or cracking another of these 19" wheels anyway so I'd get something better.

As for detracting from the car's value, these are somewhat rare and there is some value to them but ultimately they are not full on collector's items so you're not buying a yacht when you sell the R. I swapped out the wheels on my Camaro for something better but they also got old and pitted over time so, before I got rid of that car I popped on the OEM wheels and no one cared. They bought the car for what it was worth and that was it. So it's a coin flip as to if you'll gain or lose when you decide to sell but I don't think these cars are going to make you a millionaire so I wouldn't worry about it.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I've sadly purchased/replaced 5 Pretorias @ ~$600-700 each all new with the exception of one.

Nearly all of them are bent on the vehicle as I type this post - the next one that's bent where it leaks I'm throwing in the towel and buying a set of forged somethings in maybe 18" to add some additional rubber.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Thanks very much!
I bought 4 Neuspeed wheels recently for $1250, and sold my Englishtown wheels locally for $500. Pretty sweet deal. And saved 20 pounds of un sprung weight. $1000 for one wheel is a complete rip off

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You're in the UK but I figure you have shops that sell take-offs. I tried to get a Cadiz and they were out of stock. That's a big problem here, Golf R wheels are too rare for shops to always have available. The shops sells them for about half of dealer retail. Here in the states, a new Cadiz is $740 which I believe is about 532 pounds. Do you pay VAT on them? That would bump it back up to what we pay, numbers-wise.