GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R rear sway for neutral handling?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Don't know if it's the thinnest but isn't the stock RSB 20MM? 22MM doesn't like much of difference but SuperPro does make great stuff.
I put “thinnest” in quotes because I don’t know which RSBs are hollow, with a much larger O.D. than the SuperPro.

I have SuperPro stuff up front, so looking to keep things consistent out back. SuperPro also has a 24mm RSB- when calling it up at BMP Tuning, it’s specified for Golf R AWD (I drive a GTI).

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Is SuperPro at 22mm (adjustable) the “thinnest” aftermarket RSB available?
Golf R stock bar is 21.7mm.

Note that (for solid bars) stiffness goes up with the 4th power of the radius (Iz=pi/2 * r^4). For hollow bars, it's Iz = pi/2 * (ro^4 - ri^4). All other things being equal, of course.

So, a 22mm bar is 46% stiffer than a 20mm bar!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S

Note that (for solid bars) stiffness goes up with the 4th power of the radius (Iz=pi/2 * r^4). For hollow bars, it's Iz = pi/2 * (ro^4 - ri^4). All other things being equal, of course.

Thx for the number crunching.
I may go the conservative route with the SuperPro. With adjustability there can be further tuning.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Read literally every thread on swaybars on the forum and 24 to 26 mm bars make the car neutral. Why you would go with a 22mm bar is beyond me. I just isn't enough bar, but it's your money, learn the hard way if you want.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion

Wall thickness matters as well and more than is often suggested. Alltrack bar is the same diameter as the R (they look identical) but thinner walled and clearly not as stiff.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Another vote for Neuspeed 25mm. Lots of track days and now about 30K miles including New England winters. Very happy. Handling, especially on track, is much more neutral.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Another vote for Neuspeed 25mm. Lots of track days and now about 30K miles including New England winters. Very happy. Handling, especially on track, is much more neutral.

What are you running for end links? I'm concerned about spherical bearings in New England, so considering just running OEM until they break. Not lowered so length should be pretty good.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Running a 25mm Neuspeed rear bar with Neuspeed endlinks on a 17 GTI Sport and it has made the handling way more neutral and the car is more flickable.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What are you running for end links? I'm concerned about spherical bearings in New England, so considering just running OEM until they break. Not lowered so length should be pretty good.

Most people use Moog. They're basically OEM, but in not plastic.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Just chiming in on my setup: 24mm H&R RSB with Moog endlinks. No noise and the rear has definitely come alive. You're on the right path. I chose the H&R based on its popularity with this forum and the urethane/Teflon bushings.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Re: Neuspeed sway...

" so considering just running OEM until they break." ..... That's what I'm doing (also not lowered). Links still look fine, but may swap them after this track season or mid season.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Re: Neuspeed sway...

" so considering just running OEM until they break." ..... That's what I'm doing (also not lowered). Links still look fine, but may swap them after this track season or mid season.
I would recommend bringing the spare set with you to the track just in case?