GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R rear sway for neutral handling?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
With stock DCC suspension.

Not looking for the biggest, stiffest bar out there, just one that won't creak or pop, will survive the salt and nastiness of a New England winter, and make handling more neutral. Not looking for a ton of oversteer, just reduced understeer and better behavior on the limit for autox. Adjustability is a plus so I can dial it in.

Not planning on installing a stiffer front bar at this point since I'm still running stock springs.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
A much larger rear bar seems to bring handling closer to neutral.
The rear 25mm ST sway bar with Moog endlinks is an excellent combo for quality and value. Not extremely thick but paired with some trailing arm braces you have really improved handling without anything unpredictable at the limit of traction ?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
That sounds correct. The r bar gets the alltrack with the extra weight back there about neutral so you probably need more bar for the R.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Have you tried changing the alignment to ZERO toe in the rear?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Have you tried changing the alignment to ZERO toe in the rear?

Not yet, still stock suspension everywhere (except for wider wheels/tires, but scrub radius is about the same). Putting some .8deg camber mounts and a strut tower bar in, at which point I'll play with alignment too.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I loved the H&R 26mm rsb with Moog endlinks I had on my 15 gti. Waiting for spring to put it on my 18R.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
For serious? Goddamn it.

Just checked the H&R site, different part #s and the R only has a 25mm option. Well, guess I've got a rsb for sale ?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not yet, still stock suspension everywhere (except for wider wheels/tires, but scrub radius is about the same). Putting some .8deg camber mounts and a strut tower bar in, at which point I'll play with alignment too.

Don't afraid of a big rear bar, they aren't what make noise, that's end links.. My 26mm bar and Moog links make zero noise.

Zero toe is not advised WITH a large rear bar. I personally like .2 deg of toe in at the rear. Zero is too unpredictable for me.

Also, I just installed Eurosport camber kit and got -2 camber. Today I went back and took out the play in the top bolts and at the bottom at ball joint mount. There's a lot more play than I thought. I'll let you know once I get it back on the rack.

Last edited:

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
Neuspeed 25mm rear here with Moog endlinks. Quiet as stock, gave me the body control I need and more rotation. :) I'm happy with mine! Definitely recommend. Also, for the weight nuts, it is tubular which does not weigh as much as the solid sways out there. :)

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Don't afraid of a big rear bar, they aren't what make noise, that's end links.. My 26mm bar and Moog links make zero noise.

Also, I just installed Eurosport camber kit and got -2 camber. Today I went back and took out the plat in the top bolts and at the bottom at ball joint mount. There's a lot more play than I thought. I'll let you know once I get it back on the rack.

It's more the desire for neutral handling instead of concern for noise. Don't want the rear end too loose, but an adjustable bar should help that.

As for endnlinks, no exposed ball joints due to new England winter but otherwise not too worried.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's more the desire for neutral handling instead of concern for noise. Don't want the rear end too loose, but an adjustable bar should help that.

As for endnlinks, no exposed ball joints due to new England winter but otherwise not too worried.

Rear toe is your friend when getting the car dialed in. You're going to end up on the stiffest setting and car will be close to neutral. You'll fine tune with toe.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is SuperPro at 22mm (adjustable) the “thinnest” aftermarket RSB available?

Don't know if it's the thinnest but isn't the stock RSB 20MM? 22MM doesn't like much of difference but SuperPro does make great stuff.