GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R on track - after 20 lap days

sephmk7r

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Like you said, there are so many different options with their tunes, it really makes the experience. Aggressive vs linear throttle mappings, pops & bangs, on the fly map switching, spark based traction control, valet mode, E30, WMI. They do it all and for a really good price.

Yup, it makes for OEM calibration if you ask me. That shows how much VAG is leaving on the table on this platform, presumably not to cannibalize too much into Audi territory.

The JB1 for a COBB /w tune is up there though - it seems to be the best way to go

Get a Stratified tune if you go Cobb! it will make the Cobb default tune feel like complete garbage compared to what those guys can do.

Madrv1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I too track mine... 2019 Golf R shy of 10k. I have 22 or so session of 20 minutes. Ran yellow stuff, brake air ducks, ss lines (always done it... Is a $100 and I think the insulation is better thus less water but that could be just me making things up) and 660 fluid. Stage 1+ ECU and TCU Unitronic, racingline intake components. Loved every minute of this season except for the ugly understeer and the tires... Boy they stink. Plans for next season, OCC (already done), rear sway bar, slight camber plate adjustment (I still want to daily drive it) and better tires (not sure which one yet). It would be cool to show up at an event with mainly GTI and Rs. Make it a weekend and I will drive a few hours.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Once I went through the Yellowstuff, I bought:
- ECB Bluestuff

Thanks for the writeup! I am looking to follow you on some of these mods. I've been looking to buy the blue stuff but ECS and Urotuning don't have EBC bluestuff.

Also Ferodo DS2500 I'm not seeing on any of these stores either.

Where do you guys shop?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Nice catch on turn one, and everyone's 2 cents are definitely worth listening to. That's what I previously thought, however, I changed that line just that day on recommendation from my nephew who basically lives at this track. Turns out to be a better line for my car. The track comes up to meet you on the outside, and there is no need to track wide. I can get on gas a smidge sooner while giving up almost no time mid-corner. YMMV, but that's now my preferred line there.

Camaro 1LE's with good drivers walk away from me at larger tracks. Those cars just cook and are way too fast in long straights to get close. Friend's 1LE with very few mods is getting around 150 at Summit Straight.

So in my gti I was pretty quick and could chase down a lot of fast cars in advanced DE and TT, including a few grand sports and plenty of M3s, but there was a TTRS that kept eluding me. I have since stepped into a dedicated racecar and now fly by the TTRS like it's standing still, and I'm ahead of a cayman gt4 by about 1s when my tires are warm. There's a guy I know who's pretty quick in a 1le and he's still another 2s faster than me! He's putting down 650whp and has a gtc300 wing plus 3" splitter. The day we were comparing he was on brand new Michelin slicks, and those are fast... Even faster than HoHos. At our local track the 1le does 145 down the main straight. The gt4 does 135 as do most c7 and c8 vettes. My gti could touch 130 on a very good day and my 370z is doing 125 (giant wing causing drag at med downforce setting).

Those 1le cars are nasty fast, and it takes very little for them to touch 650whp and still be reliable! I'm very impressed with them, except for their windows, lol. My 165lb athletic self can barely get out of my z when in a trailer, so I can't imagine what it's like getting out of a camaro with the dental floss sized windows!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the writeup! I am looking to follow you on some of these mods. I've been looking to buy the blue stuff but ECS and Urotuning don't have EBC bluestuff.

Also Ferodo DS2500 I'm not seeing on any of these stores either.

Where do you guys shop?
I get fitment details and sometimes buy from zeckhausen. Occasionally I use FCP Euro but with shipping i often find their replacement program isn't worth it for me vs how much cheaper I can get the same stuff other places, but it's all based on your location and economies of scale. NGP is pretty awesome and they're the only ones that carry gloc for this platform. If you ever decide to step up from a dual duty pad (of which the ds2500 is the best I've tried and more equivalent to ebc blue than ebc yellow) to a proper race pad, gloc makes good stuff and is the most common pad I see in paddock among the TT and other race groups.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice write up! I too had my first track experience this year at an Audi Club HPDE at VIR. Not in an R, but in a 4Motion Sportwagen that is kind of set up as an R wagon (IS38)! Brakes were hammered after 1.5 sessions and had to come in. I have the 312mm brakes like the base GTIs. I had to replace my rotors as well as pads (Redstuff) - I went with Yellowstuff too and they worked great (and are fine to daily...just a bit more noise/dust). I have SS lines and was running Motul 600 fluid already and have the RS3 ducts - I still had them flush with new 600 fluid b/c they were already working on the car. After that no more brake drama. I agree that turning the XDS to weak or off is likely a brake-saving change that is a good thing to make on these cars. I'll definately do another next year.
_23A3728.JPG

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Occasionally I use FCP Euro but with shipping i often find their replacement program isn't worth it for me.....

The shipping is free over $49. Are you referring to sending the old pads back? On pads (taking into account cost and how quickly you can blow through pads doing lots of track days) I guess I feel like the FCPeuro route is a no brainer if you like the DS2500s. I do understand you ahve to ship back your old pads but thats not too bad vs doing oil for example with their program

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The shipping is free over $49. Are you referring to sending the old pads back? On pads (taking into account cost and how quickly you can blow through pads doing lots of track days) I guess I feel like the FCPeuro route is a no brainer if you like the DS2500s. I do understand you ahve to ship back your old pads but thats not too bad vs doing oil for example with their program
I meant the shipping back, yes.

You're right, but the savings over two sets of the ds2500 vs getting it from my other source is only 40$ for me. I didn't plan on running ds2500 forever, so it didn't make sense to pay 60$ more to purchase from FCP for me. FCP also didn't sell gloc pads, which is a shame. Now that my car is going back to being 99% DD and occasional autox or track day when I can't be bothered to get the other car going, the ds2500 from FCP are the best move.

And yeah, stuff like oil, wipers, and rotors doesn't make sense to run through FCP program.

Reactions: MSH

tigeo

Autocross Champion

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
To the contrary - I use FCP for my oil/wipers/plugs/cabin filters and you can get it all in a $21 USPS flat-rate box. I've fit all of it in. Great deal.

How to return used oil to FCP Euro for a refund - YouTube
Yeah if you go with the one box method that works! I've seen that before, but I just don't care enough to be that organized to do it all at once or keep track of boxes. One at a time cheap things or shipping heavy individual things doesn't make sense, that's all I meant. In my case I go through 3 or 4 sets of wipers on each car per year, but I go through one cabin filter. I'm busy enough with work/life that I just don't bother 😅. I could probably save 60$ per year if I kept track of all of the boxes and cartons, but it's just not enough for me to justify the energy.