GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GOLF R MK7 Xenon to aftermarket headlights

killagorillR

Car(s)
14' GOLF R MK7
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to obtain the coding needed to convert Xenon headlights to aftermarket (VLAND, HELIX ETC) type of headlights?

From my research, I know I will need a 14 pin to 10 pin harness adapter which is easily obtainable from AliExpress.

I've read that AFS error will be the main problem as the car will keep looking for the AFS module, which is not present on aftermarket headlights.

I'm also very much aware this is a downgrade going from Xenon to aftermarket but due to damage on my existing headlight and the cost to replace (new or used) I just can't justify the cost.

Cheers all!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Good morning,

2 things to consider from my side:
- AE 10 to 14 pin adapters are typically for Xenon/HID retrofits. You will need 14pin male to 10pin female instead.
- At least the wire size for High beams is 1,5mm² on Halogen headlights while it is only 0,5mm² on Xenon headlights. The reason being on Xenon headlights it triggers the shutters only.

AFS shouldn't be an issue if you unplug the module under the dash board and decode it.

killagorillR

Car(s)
14' GOLF R MK7
Good morning,

2 things to consider from my side:
- AE 10 to 14 pin adapters are typically for Xenon/HID retrofits. You will need 14pin male to 10pin female instead.
- At least the wire size for High beams is 1,5mm² on Halogen headlights while it is only 0,5mm² on Xenon headlights. The reason being on Xenon headlights it triggers the shutters only.

AFS shouldn't be an issue if you unplug the module under the dash board and decode it.
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

The adapters on Aliexpress implicitly says that it's for original 14 pin headlights, an example would be like this one:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP1RMoc

Do you know if there is any other coding that needs to be done besides the decoding of AFS? Would you be able to guide me on how to decode the AFS?

Thank you!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Unfortunately I can't open the link over here. Could you share some pics please?

There is more coding to be done, but the coding needs to match the wiring. With the coding you tell the BCM which light function is physically connected to each light channel. IMO you have 2 options:
1. Re-pin your vehicle connector from a 14-pin to a 10-pin, make sure the wire sizes are correct, and use the factory coding of a halogen car.
2. Use an adapter (AE or self made), after definition which light channel is physically connected with the right wire size to the new 10-pin, create your custom coding. I can help you with that.

killagorillR

Car(s)
14' GOLF R MK7
I've attached screenshots of the adapter from AE, hope this helps in terms of how its wired.

I'm thinking your first option, to code as per how a Halogen car would.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_093304_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_093304_AliExpress.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20231118_093312_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_093312_AliExpress.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20231118_093815_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_093815_AliExpress.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 52

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately it's not 100% clear how they are wired. In it's current state it would be a guesstimated coding list to create. If you receive the adapters please test which pin of the 14-pin connector is wired to which 10-pin. From there it's much easier to come up with the coding. Also I would need to know which headlights came w/ your car. At least in Europe they sold 3 Xenon options: Halogen DRL, LED DRL and cornering lights, LED DRL, DLA and cornering lights.

Again there is one issue in doing it: On MK7 Halogen factory cars the high beam wire size is 1,5mm². Adapting to a MK7 Xenon factory car there is no spare 1,5mm² wire available. There are potentially 2x 0,5mm² that could have been used by AKD. Personally I don't like the smell of burnt wire shielding ;-)

killagorillR

Car(s)
14' GOLF R MK7
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately it's not 100% clear how they are wired. In it's current state it would be a guesstimated coding list to create. If you receive the adapters please test which pin of the 14-pin connector is wired to which 10-pin. From there it's much easier to come up with the coding. Also I would need to know which headlights came w/ your car. At least in Europe they sold 3 Xenon options: Halogen DRL, LED DRL and cornering lights, LED DRL, DLA and cornering lights.

Again there is one issue in doing it: On MK7 Halogen factory cars the high beam wire size is 1,5mm². Adapting to a MK7 Xenon factory car there is no spare 1,5mm² wire available. There are potentially 2x 0,5mm² that could have been used by AKD. Personally I don't like the smell of burnt wire shielding ;-)
Hey mate hope you've been well.

Looks like my previous comment was removed for some reason?

Anyway, I finally got the harness from aliexpress and have drawn out how it's wired with cross examination of a wiring table I found online.
The wiring is all 16awg so I think that should alleviate some of your concerns.

In terms of my original headlight, it's the Golf R model with cornering lights, LED DRL, DLA.

I tried plugging in the afternarket headlight to my car yesterday and I'm getting high beam error and when I try to turn on high beam I can see the lens flap opens for a split second then it closes.

Other errors are the side parking lights and AFS which the headlight doesn't have.

Could all this possibly be solved by coding?

Thanks again, much appreciated for your help.

Attachments

• 1702762711399.png
    1702762711399.png
    786.7 KB · Views: 73

BuffMcBigHuge

Hey mate hope you've been well.

Looks like my previous comment was removed for some reason?

Anyway, I finally got the harness from aliexpress and have drawn out how it's wired with cross examination of a wiring table I found online.
The wiring is all 16awg so I think that should alleviate some of your concerns.

In terms of my original headlight, it's the Golf R model with cornering lights, LED DRL, DLA.

I tried plugging in the afternarket headlight to my car yesterday and I'm getting high beam error and when I try to turn on high beam I can see the lens flap opens for a split second then it closes.

Other errors are the side parking lights and AFS which the headlight doesn't have.

Could all this possibly be solved by coding?

Thanks again, much appreciated for your help.

Hey killagorillR, I've been using these lights for over a year now, and I never figured out the two major problems:

- AFS module error on dash Solved this by unplugging the AFS module on the right of the steering wheel in the footwell
- High beams won't stay on

Where you able to solve this with your car?

Last edited: